King34Maine

Speculating about a Possible R3 Acquisition by Ripple

We'd be more likely to see an SBI takeover of R3 methinks...

As far as the smaller startups (Kava comes to mind) if they're already using XRP I see Ripple leaving them alone or helping along with Xpring.

The acquisition would likely be of an established company having financial trouble that isn't already using XRP (but one that would be a nice liquidity source if Ripple owned them outright). It probably wouldn't be a remittance company, since Ripple wants to avoid too many conflicts of interest, but who knows.

I could see Ripple buying a minority stake in Stripe, Marqeta, or Plaid.

As far as acquisitions, Transferwise would be a giant swing but possible.

It sold $250m-worth of XRP in the second quarter alone.

Ripple has also raised $94m from investors including Google, Santander, Standard Chartered, and Silicon Valley venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, giving the company a significant war chest.

“We’re probably the largest investor in blockchain and crypto on the planet,” Garlinghouse said. “We’ve publicly announced we’ve made about $500m [of investments] in the space over the last 18 months.”

Source:

https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/ripple-brad-garlinghouse-multiple-deals-moneygram-050000149.html?__twitter_impression=true 

:dthinking: old article   https://fortune.com/2018/06/07/blockchain-firm-r3-is-running-out-of-money-sources-say/ 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dario_o said:

Yeah, SBI already had a majority stake in R3 going back 2-3 years. I'm just speculating as to what company/blockchain platform would Ripple stand to benefit from the most via a direct buy out. With R3, they would have access to a plethora of fully functional dApps with fully developed ecosystems and partners already utilizing the various dApp platforms (i.e. Instimatch, Marco Polo, etc). dApps is an area where Ripple lacks traction. 

4 hours ago, ADingoAteMyXRP said:

We'd be more likely to see an SBI takeover of R3 methinks...

I doubt SBI would acquire R3. That would not go over well with the other banks and FIs on the R3 platform. A move like that would be seen as a hostile takeover giving SBI free reign to do as they see fit. A scenario like this would most definitely lead to an exodus from the Corda platform. In a Ripple buyout they (Ripple) would serve as an unbias owner so that no one banking entity would have undue control. 

4 hours ago, ADingoAteMyXRP said:

As far as acquisitions, Transferwise would be a giant swing but possible.

Ripple's sweet spot is providing the platform and tools for Banks and FIs. A Transferwise purchase would be bad for business in that Ripple would be competing with many, if not all, of their clientele. A more likely scenario would be a partnership with Transferwise like MoneyGram, not a direct buyout

Edited by King34Maine

Posted (edited)

I have been following the scandinavian payment provider Klarna for some time. They have had massive success in Europe over the last few years, and are entering the US currently. Buyng shares of this Bank/provider would give a massive reach. Snoop Dog is an investor in this company BTW.

This could be up Ripples alley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klarna

Edited by mandelbaum

4 hours ago, princesultan said:

We have all been complaining about ripple "dumping" on us, but perhaps all along they are selling xrp in order to get some acquisitions ready that may significantly help ripple. Would be a nice thought!

wellll no sh!t sherlock!

3 minutes ago, rootvegetable said:

why would ripple want to acquire R3?

because thats the only way someone will actually use xrp lol

same thing with remittance companies.. from "3 out of 5 top world remittance companies will use xrp by the end of 2018" to "**** it, they wont use, lets just but them"

37 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

same thing with remittance companies.. from "3 out of 5 top world remittance companies will use xrp by the end of 2018" to "**** it, they wont use, lets just but them"

Troll much?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I know you're kind of joking, but even if this is true, and Ripple ended up buying remittance companies and thereby leading to massive XRP use which led to a price hike, I'd have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. :)

A Brad quote in the interview the other day was interesting. He pointed out that when PayPal first came online, they'd put money into your account if you referred them another user, as well as money into the account of the new user. You could have said to Paypal "well the only way anyone is gonna use Paypal is if you pay them to use it lol".

This is the real world. It's a nasty cynical place. Welcome!

Edited by djdhrubs

They won't merge due to anti monopoly laws. They already are two heads of the same dragon. More practical strategic acquisitions would be hostile takeover of competitors. Or acquisition of potential customers. 

R3 is a competitor but also they are a client. The xrp R3 received by ripple was in return for a contract. The final settlement was kept private, however for a contractual obligation to be legally binding there MUST be compensation on both sides. R3 demanding a payout from the XRP options would require them to offer compensation in return. It is an options CONTRACT. Not free xrp. 

I may be wrong but I believe Ripple helped build R3's corda setller for inter-operability reasons. 

R3 is in fact another ripple. Both compete in the banking messaging space but both use xrp for settlement.