n0rdz

MEMO take down squad 😂

Just now, ZzZerper said:

I don’t think this was ever a real threat

Yeah all seems a bit anti climatic. As much of a fan of the XRPL as I am a little bit of me wanted to see an attempt to bring it down just to see what would happen.

I just browsing bithomp so I do t have accurate numbers, but it looks like he’s done 19k spam transaction today at a rate of 40/minute(not per second) Not sure if there are other accounts doing the same, but he may be a lone wolf. 

Ive been checking ledger observer and don’t really see any meaningful increase in tx/sec. 

2 hours ago, LiquidGoat said:

So basically the risk here is that the validators run out of hard disc space and we get a temp pause while some puts in a bigger disc?

There is no requirement to hold full ledger history so no risk there. The issue is that a full history server will have to store these meaningless transactions forever, adding to bloat. 

Storage costs are small so its annoying, but not really that big of a deal. 

14 minutes ago, EasterBunny said:

I just browsing bithomp so I do t have accurate numbers, but it looks like he’s done 19k spam transaction today at a rate of 40/minute(not per second) Not sure if there are other accounts doing the same, but he may be a lone wolf. 

Ive been checking ledger observer and don’t really see any meaningful increase in tx/sec. 

ultimate butthurt lol.

How much would that cost?

This is from their discord group

Anon Brigade  XRP RAID 

This sub channel is for brain storming the best method for conducting this operation. First we need to establish the goals, then setup the steps/time frame for implementation of the operational steps.

The Goal:
The goal of this operation is to crush XRP. For too long the XRP hoard has roamed freely without being challenged for the shitcoin that it is. Today we have a golden opportunity to remind them just how weak they are. We will spam their blockchain with images and files of such memetic power that it will overload their nodes.
The cost for uploading a 11MB file to the XRP blockchain is about 1$
Therefore, one could upload approximately 1TB of memes to the XRP blockchain for $10,000
This cost is too much for one man. But for a Legion, it is possible. 1TB meme bomb on the XRP blockchain would ruin this shitcoins reputation for ages to come. That is our goal for this hunt.
So prepare your shorts, we're going in.

The Game Plan:
There are three group activities in which you can participate for this hunt.
You can either be a part of the Trader Squad:
A part of the FUD and Recruitment Squad:
A part of the Upload Squad:

To be a member of the Trader squad:
You need capital to short XRP, Places to Short XRP include:
Bitmex 100X leverage XRP/BTC
Kraken 50X Leverage for XRP/USD and XRP/BTC
Binance and Poloniex are also options but not the best.
BE CAREFUL. TRADE AT YOUR OWN DESCRETION, BUT PLEASE POST YOUR POSITIONS TO SPREAD FUD.

A part of the shill Squad:
Recruit people that you trust first to the discord using the invite link in phase one: https://discord.gg/QJ3PmxJ
In phase two, begin to spam in general forums, channels and boards to bring the heard to the channel: https://discord.gg/QJ3PmxJ
In phase three, you will be shilling on all social media that XRP is broken and collapsing

A part of the Upload Squad:
For this you will need to have or buy some XRP in order to upload large files ( the bigger the better to the XRP blockchain) (BIZ memes are encouraged). This will mark the beginning of Phase three.

Timeline Goal:
We hope to initiate this operation within 3 days, as there is a XRP pull request to make this operation considerably more expensive that will likely go through within a weeks time. more details: https://github.com/ripple/rippled/pull/3007
Timeline:
Day 1 July 23rd - Phase 1 - FUD squad Recruit trusted members to the discord. Create memes for shilling in phase 2 and 3.
Trade squad begin setting up margin positions/registering trading accounts on bitmex if you have not already/funding accounts.
upload squad, begin practicing with uploading small files to the XRP blockchain. do not do this more then once or twice. we want to surprise them.

Day 2 July 24th - Phase 2 - Continue the activities within phase 1. Begin to deploy more wider recruiting threads on biz to increase the size of the legion. By this time XRP army shills may start to suspect something is a foot, so be careful. Use the memes to promote these threads. recruit within already posted threads for discretion.
Phase 3 July 24th/25th - depending on how alarmed the XRP army is, and how large the legion becomes, phase three may be initiated on july 24th, 25th or even 26th if we don't have enough people. This will be D-day. We will upload as much content as possible on a queued basis (aiming for the cost of each 11MB upload to remain at 1$) Our goal is 1 TB of uploads. Memes are encouraged.
Phase 3/4 - Demoralization campaign. This will be a victory lap around social media and all crypto forums to demoralize, shame and laugh at the XRP army for their incompetence. contacting coindesk and other news sources about this operation to gloat may be on the table.
Please visit the respective squad channels for further instructions. PM me if you wish to be a Squad leader.

8 hours ago, EasterBunny said:

Why he's keeping the amount of tx so low? Couldn't he increase the rate to make more damage?

Some really interesting discussion about memo usage:

https://github.com/ripple/rippled/pull/3007

Isn't the simplest way to fix memo spam just increase the base transaction fee? We can easily go from 10 drops to 50 drops, and payments still cost almost nothing to send. At the moment the fees don't seem in line with real world costs anyway. What are the main drawbacks of increasing the network fee?

Personally I'd prefer to see the ledger be really good at payments, rather than try to "keep the door open" and subsidize other impromptu use cases.

Regarding people keeping full history, I appreciate the amazing efforts of Wietse and others. But if other people want to abuse their generosity by storing data, it seems fair that these services start charging a small fee to retrieve the history. Maybe paid in XRP per G/Byte? It would mean people might have to pay to obtain a full history of the ledger, but it is 9 TB and completely optional after all.

Some really interesting discussion about memo usage:
https://github.com/ripple/rippled/pull/3007
Isn't the simplest way to fix memo spam just increase the base transaction fee? We can easily go from 10 drops to 50 drops, and payments still cost almost nothing to send. At the moment the fees don't seem in line with real world costs anyway. What are the main drawbacks of increasing the network fee?
Personally I'd prefer to see the ledger be really good at payments, rather than try to "keep the door open" and subsidize other impromptu use cases.
Regarding people keeping full history, I appreciate the amazing efforts of Wietse and others. But if other people want to abuse their generosity by storing data, it seems fair that these services start charging a small fee to retrieve the history. Maybe paid in XRP per G/Byte? It would mean people might have to pay to obtain a full history of the ledger, but it is 9 TB and completely optional after all.

Indeed. I believe Wietse was also thinking on an option for FH nodes to filter out the “nonsense spam”

Why not simply increase the fees based on memo size?

After all XRP reserves and XRP fees should be used to "pay" the network resources.

BTW I'm more worried by an attack which increases the memory (RAM) usage of the validators, which could really break the network. 

9 hours ago, tulo said:

BTW I'm more worried by an attack which increases the memory (RAM) usage of the validators, which could really break the network. 

How? anyway couldn't a node just reboot every hour or less if RAM is becoming saturated?

14 hours ago, Dario_o said:

How? anyway couldn't a node just reboot every hour or less if RAM is becoming saturated? 

Sadly, it's not that convenient.

After a reboot, a server needs ~5 minutes to re-sync to the network. More importantly, the performance characteristics of a server that has everything it needs in RAM are very different from a server that has to go to disk for certain items. At a certain point, the server that can't fit everything in RAM is going to fall behind and get desynced from the network. If that were to happen to enough validators, well-connected hubs, etc., it could cause intermittent outages (like brownouts in the XRP Ledger), increased fees, it could become more complicated to query history from public servers, etc.

With a fast SSD and NuDB, a rippled server can access a lot of data with very little RAM usage, but it's inevitable that some amount of traffic is more than the hardware can handle. That's just the nature of any computing system. And it doesn't matter whether that's an intentional "attack" or just popular high-volume "legitimate" usage. Look at what CryptoKitties did to Ethereum. Same principle. What's "an attack" and what's "legitimate usage" is kind of subjective, because intent is hard to prove. One of the major differentiators I see is whether it's a small number of people or a large number. The XRP Ledger already has fee mechanisms to make it expensive for a small number of people to attack the ledger in this way. Any system will break if the attackers have enough resources and determination; it's always just a question of the degree of difficulty, and whether the system has any weaknesses that can be exploited to augment the attackers' strength. (For example, NTP reflection is an example of an augmentation technique.)

Fortunately for everyone (except the attackers), it seems like the scope of this current attack isn't even close to overloading the hardware specs of the machines in the network today. I don't know if that's because the fee mechanisms worked as intended or because the attackers simply weren't serious. Maybe the fees on large transactions aren't currently enough to discourage this kind of attack effectively; any fee mechanism is imperfect, after all. But as of right now, it seems like it's working as intended.