ZzZerper

$251.51 Million Not Sure I feel about this

5 hours ago, DebbieDowner said:

I would be very interested to learn how a value investor determines the value of 1 XRP. Last time I checked, valuation of cryptocurrencies was a hard and unsolved problem, which leads me to believe that genuine "value investors" would not touch this asset class with a 10 foot pole. Which contradicts your point. 

I am very confused by your statement, maybe you could shed some light on your reasoning?

Sure.  A value investor does not care about the recent/current price action.  They care about the fundamentals that surround the asset they are invested in.  The "value" does not refer to the actual price of the asset, but the value/usefulness it will bring in the future - which will eventually be reflected in its future price. 

I didn’t sell anything at ATH and don’t regret it.  Perfectly comfortable with no return as yet.

True,  if I’d known for sure the future I could have traded wisely and made immense percentage gains.  But you can say that about any stock or commodity market...  with even small volatility, if you know the future you are going to be wealthy.  

But the bet I’ve placed is more like a ‘bust or bust through’ one...   I’m holding the bulk for the long term.  Perhaps until the point that it never gets converted to fiat but rather stays as the ‘Standard’.

I have learnt through the crypto winter that I should do some DCA selling along the way.  But not too much because I think this is a decades long revolution.  My profits only need to fund a modest lifestyle while it all happens.  

I’m either an idiot or a genius...   time will tell.  

(Actually never a genius...   if it’s a good result then I just got lucky and hitched a ride on the wagon)

1 minute ago, Tinyaccount said:

True,  if I’d known for sure the future I could have traded wisely and made immense percentage gains.  But you can say that about any stock or commodity market...  with even small volatility, if you know the future you are going to be wealthy.  

If I knew the future, I'd be putting all my money on sports bets - way more fun and I can earn my money watching sports down the pub with a beer in my hand :D

14 hours ago, 2ndtimearound said:

XRP was near worthless when they inherited it. Who gave opencoin/XRP the value? Ripple built software that is superior to SWIFT's offerings and put XRP "on the map".  Without Ripple, do you think XRP would be 30 cents now? Ripple's escrow fulfilled helped fuel the last major bull run.  If/when we hear a MAJOR (and I mean MAJOR) announcement from Ripple that will lift the price of XRP past $5, I guess you'll be saying it had nothing to do with Ripple and they were merely "gifted" this higher price, right? It's like some people think they have a "right" to profit without any risk or patience involved. 

I am not saying Ripple didn't do any work I am saying they were given a much easier way to produce funds than any other company. They were given a much faster way to generate a return for whatever work they did simply by having that many XRP at their disposal. They received a huge leg up because of that.

Given how intelligent Chris Larsen and many of the Ripple staff are do you think that this was not the intention from the beginning? Had Ripple not been given all of that XRP their financial position would be very different. They would have at least had to use a different strategy; or they may have just failed also.

Saying the Ripple was gifted the higher price is stupid and not what I was talking about.

Also there are many shitcoins that are still performing well so it is anyone's guess what the XRP price would be without Ripple especially given that many of us believe the price of XRP is not properly reflecting the work Ripple has done.

14 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

I didn’t sell anything at ATH and don’t regret it.  Perfectly comfortable with no return as yet.

This is the most idiotic and false thing i have read in the loong time, and some things are hard to top on the internet. You do regret it ;D if you have more then 1 brain cell you do regret it.

@Tyvole Just because you have no liquid assets, and are panicking for xrp to go up so you can have your parents rent money next month.

Doesn't mean everyone else is in the same situation, regret is a useless trait. Does nothing, yea we could have sold at ath, but what if it skyrocketed and we missed the true moon not $3.80.

nobody knew for sure it was going down to .30, but were here now and as i said earlier regret is a useless trait.

Its called patience, and were using this opportunity to buy more xrps at a lower price.

16 minutes ago, Finesse said:

@Tyvole Just because you have no liquid assets, and are panicking for xrp to go up so you can have your parents rent money next month.

Doesn't mean everyone else is in the same situation, regret is a useless trait. Does nothing, yea we could have sold at ath, but what if it skyrocketed and we missed the true moon not $3.80.

nobody knew for sure it was going down to .30, but were here now and as i said earlier regret is a useless trait.

Its called patience, and were using this opportunity to buy more xrps at a lower price.

People are just talking in hindsight. Its easy to say you should have sold now that we're ******** around at $0.30. It could have topped out at $2.00 and then everyone that waited past $2.00 would be a jackass.

17 minutes ago, Finesse said:

but what if it skyrocketed and we missed the true moon not $3.80. ....nobody knew for sure it was going down to .30,

OH MY FUCKIN GOD, NOBODY KNOWS IF 3.8 WASNT TRUE MOON AND NOONE KNOWS IF 0.30 IS REAL BOTTOM AND NOONE KNOWS IF XRP WILL BE 1000 OR 1$, So what point you trying to fuckin make here.

2 minutes ago, AlejoMoreno said:

@Tyvole and @Finesse

Do you guys need to stop outside and settle this in the parking lot? No reason to get this intense over each others investment. 

I can referee the fight, I think three rounds would be enough for you guys to settle this.

I don't know if i'm tripping but i'm pretty sure his all caps posts and F bombs are a little more intense than my replies.

But @Tyvole my point was, regret is a useless trait and does nothing to help the situation. Optimists live longer and are generally more successful just so you know. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, 2ndtimearound said:

Sure.  A value investor does not care about the recent/current price action.  They care about the fundamentals that surround the asset they are invested in.  The "value" does not refer to the actual price of the asset, but the value/usefulness it will bring in the future - which will eventually be reflected in its future price. 

Right. It looks like you mean well so I will do my best to be nice.

The definition of valuation (do feel free to check a dictionary) is to estimate the monetary worth of an asset. If you do a valuation of a business, you will say (for instance) "I value this business at $1M". Professionals would use very complicated models and frameworks to come up with such a number, looking at assets, profits, debts, skills, goodwill, etc. etc.

Then, the value investor will absolutely look at the current price. If he can buy the business (which he values at $1M) for $500k, he will jump on the opportunity. If the business is for sale at $1.5M, he will move on.

Now, let me repeat my question. How do value investors determine the value of 1 XRP?

Explicit warning: this is a trick question.

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, DebbieDowner said:

Right. It looks like you mean well so I will do my best to be nice.

The definition of valuation (do feel free to check a dictionary) is to estimate the monetary worth of an asset. If you do a valuation of a business, you will say (for instance) "I value this business at $1M". Professionals would use very complicated models and frameworks to come up with such a number.

Then, the value investor will absolutely look at the current price. If he can buy the business (which he values at $1M) for $500k, he will jump on the opportunity. If the business is for sale at $1.5M, he will move on.

Now, let me repeat my question. How do value investors determine the value of 1 XRP?

Explicit warning: this is a trick question.

Don’t mind me jumping in :) but how can you “value” Any digital asset? 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LiquidGoat said:

Don’t mind me jumping in :) but how can you “value” Any digital asset? 

Sshhhhhh! let him answer!!!

(I say XRP but I agree, it applies to all cryptos, no exception)

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, DebbieDowner said:

Sshhhhhh! let him answer!!!

(I say XRP but I agree, it applies to all cryptos, no exception)

https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKinsey/Business Functions/Strategy and Corporate Finance/Our Insights/Valuing high tech companies/Valuing high-tech companies.ashx

As a result, understanding what drives the valueof the underlying business across the scenarios is more important than trying to come up with a single-point valuation. 

Better read this first.