Sign in to follow this  
JannaOneTrick

Q2 2019 XRP Markets Report

6 hours ago, AlejoMoreno said:

Regarding the institutions. I hate when this word is used because "who" exactly are these "institutions" that are constantly buying millions of XRP each quarter?

Unless I am not recalling I don't think Ripple has ever clarified (not they that are obligated to) who these institutions are.

I am just wondering why the institutions are buying so much and what are they going to do with it?

Its interesting because I don't think "institutions" are buying any other Cryptocurrency/Digital Asset in such large amounts regularly.

If the price doesnt go up by the end of the year ill be comitted to a institution with a nice padded cell. I could ask them if they buy xrp🤔

I get a strong sense that there is a lot of consideration being given to distribution of XRP to points of weakness.  I expect even Chris Larsen's sales are being controlled as part of some bigger strategy.  Somewhere there is a comment from DS telling us the founders are not allowed to sell unsupervised.

I'm also curious as to what Ripple constitutes an OTC sale as...for example does a partnership (like with MGI) count XRP's provisioned as part of the deal fall into the institutional category?  Surely it could be considered a "sale" even if the purchase price was % of ownership in a company.  I wonder if the XRP's provisioned by Xpring count against the total.  It would be really nice to get a clearer breakdown of what an institutional OTC sale represents exactly to get to the numbers they are reporting each quarter.

46 minutes ago, Zedy44 said:

It would be really nice to get a clearer breakdown of what an institutional OTC sale represents exactly to get to the numbers they are reporting each quarter.

I think you are over-thinking it.  What you say is true about % ownership but I believe they are just plain speaking.  Not over complicating it.

The OTC sales are just escrow XRP sold OTC.  

6 hours ago, hallwaymonitor said:

Here is one educated guess.

The 18M number on the left, what metric would that be? Volume in $ or numbers of transactions?

I did 18M x 2824, which gives me approx. 51 billion in 2 years.

Here's what I don't understand from the report:

Ripple was selling according the volume reported from CC. Now, we all know this volume was inflated. Thus the selling pressure should have crashed the price. A crash occured but that's due to general market sentiment and xrp's price didn't fall under the long term support.

Moving to the end of Q2, the selling has been adjusted according to cryptocompare's volume, so the price should increase as the selling pressure decreased and xrapid volume (although most probably minimal) kicked in.

Am I missing something?

10 hours ago, zerpian said:

Here's what I don't understand from the report:

Ripple was selling according the volume reported from CC. Now, we all know this volume was inflated. Thus the selling pressure should have crashed the price. A crash occured but that's due to general market sentiment and xrp's price didn't fall under the long term support.

Moving to the end of Q2, the selling has been adjusted according to cryptocompare's volume, so the price should increase as the selling pressure decreased and xrapid volume (although most probably minimal) kicked in.

Am I missing something?

That's what you would think. Selling pressure is selling pressure.

I don' even understand how they say they can "avoid impacting" the market with their programmatic sells. Demand is Demand and Supply is Supply. Either more people are buying or more people are selling and the price will go that way accordingly. So what does minimize market impact mean?

If the price doesn't appreciate at all then there must be something even more hairy than I thought going on with this market.

Edited by AlejoMoreno

@AlejoMoreno I think there will be a twofold impact. One is the adjusted selling according to the 'right' volume, and restriction on OTC sales. However it's a riddle why the price doesn't move to the upside now and why it didn't move all the way to the bottom when XRP was being sold according to the inflated volume.

4 hours ago, zerpian said:

@AlejoMoreno I think there will be a twofold impact. One is the adjusted selling according to the 'right' volume, and restriction on OTC sales. However it's a riddle why the price doesn't move to the upside now and why it didn't move all the way to the bottom when XRP was being sold according to the inflated volume.

@zerpian That's exactly what I'm getting at.

The price of XRP has a lot more "organized" variables than most other cryptocurrencies so its a crazy Riddle as to why it never does what you think it would.

You have an XRP markets team monitoring the market, constant selling from Ripple, Ripple reducing their selling, xRapid volume, Ripple having a goal to drive "value" for XRP, good news, bad news, Ripple having a goal to reduce market manipulation.

All of these things and the XRP price doesn't seem to care about any of it; or perhaps all of these "organized" variables are still dwarfed by the force of the speculation market.

23 hours ago, AgamemnonUA said:

The 18M number on the left, what metric would that be? Volume in $ or numbers of transactions?

I guess the Y-axis volume is in XRPs. Definitely not number of transactions because these flows does not contain any spammer accounts that the guy monitors.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:16 PM, jbjnr said:

They throttled back (at the end May / start of June)

is this related at all to the huge spike in price May 12 - 15 where it jumped from 0.310 to 0.459 ?

I recall you mentioning a noteworthy spike around Sep 2018 that correlated to a stop of XRP II sales, curious if this is the 2nd of its kind - where Ripple doesn't sell any XRP.

Edited by aye-epp