Jump to content
richxrp

270 million more XRP circulating supply today than yesterday

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Caracappa said:

Burning XRP to make the price go up sounds like an idea from an investor in XRP. Ripple is not aiming to just get the price up, but grow total liquidity. If all succeeds they may need the 100bln XRP.

What I do see happening is that eventually Ripple could release custody of the escrow to a sort of Central Bank type or other IMF like institute so they can control the release in the future on a macro economic scale. It might even be a complete new type of institute responsible for doing that as long as it's not Ripple anymore to avoid a conflict of interest.

Borghorse.JPG.2cd2a42665f3a36331e3cbb50ad6a5cf.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, toobhunter said:

When does it make sense for Ripple to just burn a portion of their XRP?  On the one hand, they lose that amount of XRP...on the other hand the supply goes down and price goes up.  Seems like 100B is too much supply anyway.

Okay, you go first. Burn all of yours so the price will go up for me. Sounds good, right?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Montoya said:

Okay, you go first. Burn all of yours so the price will go up for me. Sounds good, right?  

I understand the snarkiness response but the obvious answer is that my stack wouldn't meaningfully lessen the supply. 

Everyone else's answer that "100B won't be enough supply if Ripple succeeds" also falls short since XRP is nearly infinitely divisible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, robertbruce said:

hmm, lets see, xborder remittances alone, 177trillion divided by 100billion, or was it 127trillion...i need help on this 8)

did you consider that XRP is nearly infinitely divisible before you posted that??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, toobhunter said:

did you consider that XRP is nearly infinitely divisible before you posted that??


Do you understand that the dollar value of 1 xrp would still be the same while still being divisible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Finesse said:


Do you understand that the dollar value of 1 xrp would still be the same while still being divisible?

Yes, I did...you aren't thinking this through.  I'd be happy to have a conversation with you to discuss if you aren't getting it.  Discussions are better than this asychronous communication...just DM me if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, toobhunter said:

I understand the snarkiness response but the obvious answer is that my stack wouldn't meaningfully lessen the supply. 

Everyone else's answer that "100B won't be enough supply if Ripple succeeds" also falls short since XRP is nearly infinitely divisible.  

If you understand the snark, do you then also understand the foolishness of your initial proposition? This isn't meant as a personal attack. I just see this statement a lot around the crypto world, and it is nonsensical on its face. How would such an action benefit Ripple? Or anyone other than current holders who are not destroying their own wealth? Burning tokens would simply transfer wealth from those doing the burning to those not doing the burning. It would not do anything to facilitate the protocol's growth. If burning tokens worked to grow the wealth of the protocol, then why not just burn all but a couple thousand? We would all be rich! Unless you are contending that it would somehow spark a speculative influx of new capital. This, I highly doubt. People know astroturf when they see it, especially astroturf this obvious. It would be seen as nothing but a desperate ploy, the death knell of a failed business. I get aggravated by suggestions such as this because they have absolutely no purpose other than personal gain at the expense of others. It is extremely short sighted; the crypto economy, like all economies, is not zero sum. It is possible for everyone to gain. That is what efficiency gains do. They increase the pie so no one needs to sacrifice. Asking one group to sacrifice so another might profit demonstrates a misunderstanding of basic economic principals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from my POV, the topic of burning excess is only happening since the supply far outweighs the demand, currently.

crawl, walk, run.

there is expected to be increasing demand where at some point (10,20,50 years, etc) it can't even be a thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Montoya said:

If you understand the snark, do you then also understand the foolishness of your initial proposition? This isn't meant as a personal attack. I just see this statement a lot around the crypto world, and it is nonsensical on its face. How would such an action benefit Ripple? Or anyone other than current holders who are not destroying their own wealth? Burning tokens would simply transfer wealth from those doing the burning to those not doing the burning. It would not do anything to facilitate the protocol's growth. If burning tokens worked to grow the wealth of the protocol, then why not just burn all but a couple thousand? We would all be rich! Unless you are contending that it would somehow spark a speculative influx of new capital. This, I highly doubt. People know astroturf when they see it, especially astroturf this obvious. It would be seen as nothing but a desperate ploy, the death knell of a failed business. I get aggravated by suggestions such as this because they have absolutely no purpose other than personal gain at the expense of others. It is extremely short sighted; the crypto economy, like all economies, is not zero sum. It is possible for everyone to gain. That is what efficiency gains do. They increase the pie so no one needs to sacrifice. Asking one group to sacrifice so another might profit demonstrates a misunderstanding of basic economic principals. 

You still don't seem to understand..."how would such an action benefit Ripple?"  You realize that the decreased supply would increase price and thus Ripple wouldn't lose anything, right?   Ripple is nearly 8 years old. It has only distributed ~43B XRP.  They've made tons of mistakes by "gifting" founders WAAAYY too much XRP.  Most of the blockchain community despises them.  They are dumping XRP into the ecosystem keeping the price down.  You know, their chance to win has a finite runway.  If they don't start getting some big wins and traction for XRP, it will go to 0.  Maybe they can do it without burning XRP.  I'm sure there is lots the community doesn't know about whats going on behind the scenes.  But for you to view burning XRP as a "nonsensical" option by people who just want to get rich the the expense of Ripple is the real nonsensical view.  Just so you know, I'm not some new XRP holder that wants to get rich in a flash.  I bought my first XRP in late 2013 (I can sign a transaction from that wallet :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, toobhunter said:

But for you to view burning XRP as a "nonsensical" option by people who just want to get rich the the expense of Ripple is the real nonsensical view. 

I believe there are two types of "investors" in xrp. 

1.  Those that just want to ride the plane so that they can unload to someone else at a higher price some point in the near future.. 

2.  Those that believe that crypto is the future of money and don't ever want to get off the plane .. and only spend what they need for necessities.

Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of people in category #2  and most people are in category #1.  That is the source of the difference in the two points of view.  You just have to place yourself in the appropriate perspective to realize that  depending on which framework you land in, it will either be nonsensical or not.

Note that I'm not saying one viewpoint is right and the other is wrong. Just that they both exist and neither can lay claim to the future state of affairs as it relates to cryptocurrency.

Edited by richxrp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...