jlr

Secure reference on the XRPLeder's states

Hi,

Definition of the Blockchain according to the JoelKatz blog (https://www.distributedagreement.com/2018/09/24/what-is-a-blockchain/)

"""
A blockchain is a series of states of a distributed ledger where each state, except the first, contains a secure reference to the prior state and sufficient information to demonstrate that the transition from that prior state is valid according to the system’s rules."""

It is clear for me how it achieves 'secure reference' in the case of Bitcoin block since if we changed any piece of byte in the block it would be revealed quickly with hash calculation. On the other hand it would be hard to reproduce hash value for the modified block with the proper difficulty level.

My question is how does XRPL create secure reference to the prior state? since in the case of XRPL there is no such concept that we called difficulty level of hash (number of leading zeros).

How could be secure? Why is it hard to create and easy to check the secure reference in XRPL? Can you explain me how it works?

Thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, codiusrex said:

Ask @JoelKatz in XRPCHAT’s Technical Discussion forum or send him a message. 

A7F75A17-1C7C-4627-909C-4EDC960FD598.jpeg

@karlos, Could you please move this topic to the Technical Discussion? I have no permission to do that.

How could be secure? Why is it hard to create and easy to check the secure reference in XRPL? Can you explain me how it works?

My argumentation would go like this:

Secure reference = The reference cannot be changed = Immutability of "closed" blocks/ledgers required, because they contain the hash to the prior ledger/ block

Closed XRP ledgers cannot be changed, so the chain of ledgers cannot be changed with the XRPL - other than in PoW chains where in theory a longer chain could come up and alter the last blocks. It is not hard to create and check the secure reference with the XRPL - but for a reference to be secure it doesn't need to be hard to create it. Thats a misconception that comes with proof of work, I'd say.

24 minutes ago, karstnDE said:

Closed XRP ledgers cannot be changed,

Ok, but why?

While in the case of Bitcoin blockchain it is easy to validate blockchain intergrity. Just iterate on blocks and calculate hash on that and check if that hash is equal to prev.hash of the next block. But if you changed anything in the chain it would be extremely difficult to create new hashes from the modified block till the end.

Why cannot I counterfeit any closed XRPL since you mentioned it is easy to create reference to the prior closed ledger? So I would modify a ledger and recalculate secure reference for the closed ledgers till the end. How can I figure out if whether I work with genuine XRLLedger or not?

This problem must be solved, but I don't know how.

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, jlr said:

Ok, but why?

Because the ledger state hash and/or transaction hash would change. Exactly as you describe for Bitcoin.

Proof of Work is a mechanism to decide automatically between several possible chains. On XRPL you'd instead ask validators you trust to be operated by unique entities (a UNL) for the one true chain and if a supermajority of them agrees, then this is the latest tip of the chain. All predecessors follow from that, so you can come up with a different chain but you'd still need to convince a lot of other entities to use that as well.

Posted (edited)

Why cannot I counterfeit any closed XRPL since you mentioned it is easy to create reference to the prior closed ledger? So I would modify a ledger and recalculate secure reference for the closed ledgers till the end. How can I figure out if whether I work with genuine XRLLedger or not?

You need to convince other validators that your ledger proposal is the right one. But only a ledger proposal that the supermajority of validators agree on will be chosen. If you propose just anything - e.g. with another "last closed ledger" - to the network the other validators will ignore you, as all validators know which ledger has been closed last (not your fake one!). 

That's why it is called Consensus Protocol and not Proof of Work. You could say in Proof of Work you basically work against each other, in Consensus you work together. 

For a detailed read-up I'd suggest you read this here: https://xrpl.org/consensus-principles-and-rules.html - it's a brilliantly thought-out concept and worthwhile to dig in to.

Edited by karstnDE
wording