Sign in to follow this  
Jerrybo

NFTs (non fungible tokens) on XRPL

Hi there

Does anyone knows any resources, tutorials, etc for creating NFT (non fungible tokens) on the XRP ledger similar to ERC721?

Thanks and have a nice day

Tokens in the same denomination (e.g. "USD") are fungible between the same issuer, but not between different ones (1 "USD/Bitstamp" is the same as another "USD/Bitstamp", but not as a "USD/Gatehub").

To make your tokens non-fungible, you'd need to issue a different currency for each token.

Thought about that idea too. But dismissed it, due creating a currency per item ("magicSword_1", "magicSword_2", "magicSword1_n") seems more like a hack than a real way to me. A solution should be able to create thousand of unique items.

Is there anyone in our space that spent some time on that topic and likes to share knowledge?

Posted (edited)

Maybe your suggested way seems strange in the first view, it doens't look bad at the second. According to "Nonstandard Currency Codes" (https://xrpl.org/currency-formats.html) one issuer could issue a unique item with a UUID as currency code with a total available amount of 1. Thats not really human readable, but we could create a viewer tool for that and map the issued UUID to a description in a centralized DB. Need to think more about that way.

Further ideas welcome

Edited by Jerrybo

You have ~160 bits of address space available for currencies, I'd say that's plenty enough for whatever magic swords you need to encode. another issue you'll run into is divisibility (you can't sell half a sword... right?).

I personally would not build a game upon this premise (you'd need a trust line for every single item you own in a game, this can get expensive!), but you can try it out on the TestNet I guess.

I just used magicSwords for easier understanding. In practical Use-Cases the item should be exchangeable between users and not dividable. Aaa... missed the trustline topic, good point. The infrastructure should be (almost) free to use for NFT items.

But tracking every single token instead of tracking balances is a huge difference in resources used... you can't have cheap AND non-fungible. After all you also buy your rice in the market by weight, not by individual grain.