Devil's advocate re: XRP sales

The last few weeks have seen a lot of talk about Ripple's programmatic sales of XRP, along with the "dumping" of XRP by Ripple executives.  Much of the discussion centers around a coordinated dump because of a lack of belief in the future of XRP by these parties or a "crypto Ponzi".  What if the actual reason is quite the opposite?

I remember during the great bull run in 2017/2018, the executives of Ripple, particularly Garlinghouse, having to go on CNBC and discuss their multi-billionaire status as the price of XRP rose.  Many questions arose about the ethics of a company holding so much of a digital asset that was rapidly appreciating and many thought that this was unsustainable.  What if they are making a coordinated effort to offload their XRP at relatively low prices (through escrow sales, individual sales, charity, etc) to avoid the appearance of impropriety in the future if and when XRP should rise in value again?  Is it not possible that they fully expect XRP to become more valuable and are thoughtfully distancing themselves from ownership of the asset so that this does not become a focal point in the future?  I can easily foresee a scenario in which XRP rises in value and Ripple the company becomes a target of ire of the public and elected officials for owning so much of it; perhaps this is a means to temper those expected criticisms.

It certainly is also possible that this is one giant scam, but somehow this doesn't fit the narrative.  These are highly successful people who hail from other large companies, I hardly think they have decided to engage in the world's biggest heist on the public stage (though one must admit the possibility I suppose). 

At any rate, I don't see much of anything that has changed recently, other than people have decided to talk about something that we have known about for years.  Frustration from the recent price swings, I suppose, especially in relation to BTC's recent rise.  I will point out, as other much more technically inclined folks on this forum have, that every giant leap in XRP price has occurred just after a massive dip in XRP/BTC.  I look for us to hit 2000 sats and then off the races.  Time will tell how that prediction ages :D

Edited by Guest

This theory makes sense but it would be price manipulation and the opposite Brad, JK and other employees have stated so many times. 

If they wanna get rid of their bags to avoid becoming a target i would accept a few millions no problem just as a favour haha. 

55 minutes ago, Molten said:

The last few weeks have seen a lot of talk about Ripple's programmatic sales of XRP, along with the "dumping" of XRP by Ripple executives.  Much of the discussion centers around a coordinated dump because of a lack of belief in the future of XRP by these parties or a "crypto Ponzi".  What if the actual reason is quite the opposite?

I remember during the great bull run in 2017/2018, the executives of Ripple, particularly Garlinghouse, having to go on CNBC and discuss their multi-billionaire status as the price of XRP rose.  Many questions arose about the ethics of a company holding so much of a digital asset that was rapidly appreciating and many thought that this was unsustainable.  What if they are making a coordinated effort to offload their XRP at relatively low prices (through escrow sales, individual sales, charity, etc) to avoid the appearance of impropriety in the future if and when XRP should rise in value again?  Is it not possible that they fully expect XRP to become more valuable and are thoughtfully distancing themselves from ownership of the asset so that this does not become a focal point in the future?  I can easily foresee a scenario in which XRP rises in value and Ripple the company becomes a target of ire of the public and elected officials for owning so much of it; perhaps this is a means to temper those expected criticisms.

It certainly is also possible that this is one giant scam, but somehow this doesn't fit the narrative.  These are highly successful people who hail from other large companies, I hardly think they have decided to engage in the world's biggest heist on the public stage (the one must admit the possibility). 

At any rate, I don't see much of anything that has changed recently, other than people have decided to talk about something that we have known about for years.  Frustration from the recent price swings, I suppose, especially in relation to BTC's recent rise.  I will point out, as other much more technically inclined folks on this forum have, that every giant leap in XRP price has occurred just after a massive dip in XRP/BTC.  I look for us to hit 2000 sats and then off the races.  Time will tell how that prediction ages :D

why don't they sell otc then? 

1 minute ago, BentCopper said:

why don't they sell otc then? 

The majority of their sales are institutional and thus OTC, no?  They are also donating a fair bit of XRP and have no control if and where those are sold.  I would imagine that the remainder of the escrow releases that they don't have institutional buyers for but do require the working capital of, they would sell on exchanges.  But I will defer to those who have paid this more mind.

@Hodor any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Molten said:

The majority of their sales are institutional and thus OTC, no?  They are also donating a fair bit of XRP and have no control if and where those are sold.  I would imagine that the remainder of the escrow releases that they don't have institutional buyers for but do require the working capital of, they would sell on exchanges.  But I will defer to those who have paid this more mind.

@Hodor any thoughts?

my understanding is that it's not only the selling that is being questioned but the correlation that these exchange sales take place when price attempts to increase.  

Remember too, Ripple has created a product (XRP) that has appreciated and has a current value that people are willing to pay to hold it.  The company that holds a large share of that asset can't necessarily be faulted for selling it to fund their growth.  I think the consternation around these sales comes from the genuine confusion around a new type of asset that the world has not seen before.  People are buying it, just like any other product, but many are expecting a return on the purchase (much like the share of a company) and thus the holders of that asset (us) don't necessarily view it as a product that should be sold for profit. 

In its basest form, I see nothing wrong with Ripple the company selling the asset that they have helped build and grow to fund further growth.  In fact, I applaud their efforts and sincerely hope for the best, if for no other reason than I hope to profit from their success.  But in the end, there is so much unknown and thus there is a high amount of risk... but with high risk, comes the potential for high reward...

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, BentCopper said:

my understanding is that it's not only the selling that is being questioned but the correlation that these exchange sales take place when price attempts to increase.  

I mean, that makes no sense to me from the standpoint of Ripple.  Why would they intentionally manipulate the price downward?  I know that there is some disgruntled d-bag out there with a lot of XRP who means to do all he can to suppress the price, but even he will eventually run out of firepower.  In the meantime, if Ripple is successful in achieving widespread adoption of XRP, I am inclined to believe there will be massive appreciation from this point, as I think many do here.  Only time will tell and in this way, it is likely that @XRPto50dollars has the right approach.

"I mean, that makes no sense to me from the standpoint of Ripple.  Why would they intentionally manipulate the price downward?" 

again, my understanding is that much of the selling is from known C Larson's addresses and that selling seems to dump XRP when price tries to increase. like everyone else here i have no way to know why the sales are taking place but the sales certainly are not helping the price. like many i have no intention of selling based on speculation that "the Ripple team" is bailing out but...

Sure, but again, if you take the long view, even the largest whale is going to run out of ammo and then what?  I suppose if there is truth to this, then the answer is to simply be patient.  If and when there is true, functional demand for XRP, I don't think any one individual will be able to hold down the price.  Even the "bond vigilantes" of old were a large network of individuals and institutions, not just one angry dude trying to manipulate bond yields.

4 minutes ago, BentCopper said:

larson has billions of XRP, he created them,lol

Yes, but what happens when the daily volume hits billions?  Not Coinmarketcap garbage, but actual billions in daily volume?  To answer my own rhetorical question: the effect of any one seller becomes much less.

32 minutes ago, XRPto50dollars said:

there is a direct correlation between the price being down and an increase in conspiracy theories as to why the price is down.

notice during green days, runs, the price moving up,etc that no one cares about the 'why'. everyone celebrates the runs but never asks why.

this right here tells me the vast majority of people invested in crypto are armchair investors and that this is the cause of their stress; they simply allow emotions to take over.

im also still convinced the majority of people here wont make $100,000 or more in xrp. i say this because, if they cant handle a price drop from $3 to .25, how are they ever going to withstand the stress of the price dropping from $99 to $40? be prepared my friends. right now we have it easy. dont wish for the price to skyrocket just yet because once it does, youre really going to start seeing panic.

I agreed with everything you said, until your last few sentences. I'll take a $99-to-$40 drop any day over a $3-to-25¢ one. On your broader point, however, way too many are emotionally invested. They're still not as annoying as the ones who are ostensibly here to save us from ourselves, though.

47 minutes ago, XRPto50dollars said:

im also still convinced the majority of people here wont make $100,000 or more in xrp. i say this because, if they cant handle a price drop from $3 to .25, how are they ever going to withstand the stress of the price dropping from $99 to $40? be prepared my friends. right now we have it easy. dont wish for the price to skyrocket just yet because once it does, youre really going to start seeing panic.

The stress of $99 to $40? Hahaha. I think that’s a totally different “stress” than .35 cents. Right now this isn’t much of an investment. Just my opinion. It’s stagnet and stale. Now don’t get me wrong. Xrp doesn’t owe us anything. Never guaranteed us and return. It’s not a government bond, or sold as some safe money haven. There is no guarantee it will ever increase. For all we know, this is the highest it will ever be. Or maybe in 6 months it is $10 a coin. Point is, everyone’s opinion is valid. Who knows if it’s manipulated, who knows if it will increase or decrease. It’s a complete crapshoot as to what it is going to do in the future. No one knows for sure. And if they did (IE Brad, David), they ain’t telling you or me....

Seems to me there are some that expected moon in 6 months to 3 years (6 months to 3 years ago) and was that ever really realistic?  Now they are rattled and emotional, obviously didn’t DYOR or don’t invest what you can’t afford to lose...or both.  Frankly it’s freaking annoying to read their weak little bitching and conspiracy theory drivel.  You are embarrassing yourself.