Sign in to follow this  
mDuo13

Blog: Labeling the Internet of Value (+ new TOML checker tool)

Happy Friday, everyone (or happy Saturday, depending on your time zone)! There's a new blog post and tool on the XRP Ledger Dev Portal. This time it's about the xrp-ledger.toml file, and why and how you can use it to identify yourself to the masses.

If you run a validator or some other XRP-related side project, setting up an xrp-ledger.toml file could be a nice, short weekend project. ;) Have fun!

Posted (edited)

Nice.

I have stupid questions, re:

network = "main"

That signifies... what, exactly?  Is it a statement of fact or an intention?  I realize that you're trying to get across that that particular val is intended to be on the main net, but the unl disclosure ought to cover that (with much more specificity/reliability)?  Also, that can change, say, if you change your mind about your intentions or if your UNL nodes do...?

Not sure what it means... I get the intent, I think, but it seems like more of a casual comment than a declaration of state.  I dunno - you know what I mean?

Thanks!

Edited by NightJanitor

10 hours ago, mDuo13 said:

It's a statement of intent. See the full description. All the fields are optional, so you can provide the network even if you don't want to specify your exact UNL.

Got it.  So it's definitely not to be relied upon, say, in the case that someone got the idea to scrape all of these toml files and compile them for navigational use.

Thanks for the clarification/reminder.

On 7/14/2019 at 4:40 AM, SkeinGraham said:

The checker input field doesn't seem to like the tld in `skein.systems` https://xrpl.org/xrp-ledger-toml-checker.html

Ah, yes. The TLD is currently restricted to 6 characters, which might've been the longest one at the time that regular expression was originally written some years ago. PR#625 should fix that.

Edit: and now it's done. The TOML checker now accepts skein.systems and a wider range of valid domains with unusual TLDs.