cryptoxrp

Improving Escrow control and XRP price stability.

A few random thoughts:

• I would start to think about Ripple's massive XRP holdings in terms of who owns Ripple the company. AFAIK, Ripple company is owned by the early investors of the funding rounds and some (ex-) Ripple workers. for example, if burning of Ripple's XRP reserves will not suit their interests then it won't happen and vice versa.

• IMO Ripple is trying hard to empty their massive XRP bags to the ecosystem. The faster they can do that the better. The more money they can make in the process the better. The more creative XRP use cases they can conjure the better. For instance, that's why xPring was founded. Ripple is laser focused to solve the payments problem and at the same time they expanded to develop new use cases on top of XRPL via xPring. Contradiction. IMO there is not yet big institutional demand for XRP.

• IMO if banks are going to buy Ripple's XRP en mass in future then they are not going to pay high unit price for XRP. Why? Because they have been screwing over people for centuries. They know the game better than us. They do inside trading, launder money, BS everybody and get bailed out ("too big to fall") if needed. So, if your DCA is like 0.30 USD and you think that you have bought lower than all the big banks are going to then think again.

• Stable price of XRP is aligned with Ripple's interest. IF Ripple would "do Binance" and just burn all of their XRP holdings pew pow then the existing XRPs in the ecosystem could start to move in a way that makes XRPs way more unstable long-term. We could get even moonshot and then hard dump. Who knows. I reckon the average volatility of XRP price would increase anyways and THAT would increase holding costs of XRP (due to increasing hedging costs) WHICH would be unfortunate for xRapid adoption, market makers or even institutional speculative XRP holding.

17 minutes ago, Socrates said:

https://ripple.com/insights/ripple-escrows-55-billion-xrp-for-supply-predictability/

(my emphasis & underline)

You could argue from this that they are still keeping what they originally promised (which is different from what people assume/perceive/interpret). They are using it, just not selling it. Even if there was any legal contract binding this, most contracts are allowed to be terminated or amended, especially given changes in conditions.

Agree that Ripple could communicate better and more clearly, but as conditions change, it's normal for tactics to also change, while keeping in line with the vision and strategy.

Also keep in mind that if Ripple were to force the whole monthly billion of XRP that is released into the market (sales, incentives, etc), prices would collapse much quicker. 

Tnx, I accept and stand corrected that 'Ripple can use XRP for 'other market incentives'. It makes the decision of holding XRP quite 'feable' to say the least. If Ripple can spend at will who are we to keep on holding... (when considering they still have many years of supply). Hopefully Ripple is 'using XRP for Xpool' and not selling it...

Edited by cryptoxrp

50 minutes ago, cryptoxrp said:

We need to trust Ripple to do what they promise.

I agree and I think this also goes other way around: Ripple still needs FIAT from retail XRP investors to finance their rapid growth. If Ripple for one reason or another would lose the trust of retail XRP investors then who would be left to buy Ripple's XRPs (?) Institutions are not mass grabbing Ripple's XRPs yet. Thus, Ripple needs us and we need Ripple. Symbiosis. If Ripple will succeed to convince institutions to mass grab their XRPs in future then Ripple could afford to give us a finger without compromising their revenue and hence growth too much.

A lot of investor hopes are tied closely to Ripples word and actions. It’ll be hard for XRP to moon with the supply in escrow that can flood market. I’m concerned about something like Cobolt, which will help take an already fast settlement, and make it even faster now. Surely that can’t be good for price. 

4 hours ago, KaaKaRmA said:

A lot of investor hopes are tied closely to Ripples word and actions. It’ll be hard for XRP to moon with the supply in escrow that can flood market. I’m concerned about something like Cobolt, which will help take an already fast settlement, and make it even faster now. Surely that can’t be good for price. 

You could be right that Cobalt will probably be approximately 4 times faster. But with a growing DLT-XRP ecosystem I would not be to concerned about that, The short term effect of additional Moneygram corridors, USA fast payments network going life and the improved  regulations will be positive. There is still a lot going on.

Edited by cryptoxrp

13 minutes ago, cryptoxrp said:

You could be right that Cobalt will probably be approximately 4 times faster. But with a growing DLT-XRP ecosystem I would not be to concerned about that, The short term effect of additional Moneygram corridors, USA fast payments network going life and the improved  regulations will be positive. There is still a lot going on.

Faster is better. Always, always, always.

The people facilitating orders are called Market Makers, and these are the folks who will be holding on either side of each xRapid transfer. That means the faster XRP settles, the more likely it will maintain its position as a standard settlement asset, therefore the more XRP will be held by market makers, banks, FIs, and corporates. Increased speed of settlement is not the goal of Cobalt, but if they reduced settlement time it would have a positive impact on XRP utility and price.

53 minutes ago, ADingoAteMyXRP said:

Faster is better. Always, always, always.

The people facilitating orders are called Market Makers, and these are the folks who will be holding on either side of each xRapid transfer. That means the faster XRP settles, the more likely it will maintain its position as a standard settlement asset, therefore the more XRP will be held by market makers, banks, FIs, and corporates. Increased speed of settlement is not the goal of Cobalt, but if they reduced settlement time it would have a positive impact on XRP utility and price.

I'm following rippled development very closely,  didn't saw any progress related to Cobalt. 

actually new feature development is very slow: 

normally it will take years from when we saw the code development to it finally enabled on XRP ledger. 

By now I didn't saw any code related to Cobalt. 

9 minutes ago, yxxyun said:

By now I didn't saw any code related to Cobalt. 

Correct, it may be worked on later this year.

Speeds and throughput are fast enough now. No other tech compares to XRP so we’re safe.

Faster is always better though, from a utility and price standpoint. 

9 hours ago, ADingoAteMyXRP said:

Correct, it may be worked on later this year.

Speeds and throughput are fast enough now. No other tech compares to XRP so we’re safe.

Faster is always better though, from a utility and price standpoint. 

IT MIGHT BE WORKED ON LATER THIS YEAR - LOL thats like saying tommorow xrp might be 10usd.

Just say you dont know.

4 hours ago, ADingoAteMyXRP said:

Okay there Bagel Boss.

1.5 s ledger times, no sooner than 2019. 

yes i have seen these tweets before. So? Its still totally unknown timeframe.

Edited by Tyvole