yxxyun

Xpring invested projects

The whole point of xpring (stupid name since the beginning) was to bolster the xrp ecosystem and to increase the utility and therefore value, of the xrp token. 

This has not been done and what appears to be happening is that xrping is literally just acting like a regular VC firm, making investments in tech startups that have loose connections to xrp, as some have noted. 

As a previous poster also noted, this is exactly the peanut butter issue that Brad opposed back at Yahoo. 

I would be down with xpring is the focus was indeed xrp related, but many of their investments don't seem to be, where they instead dole out xrp funding and I imagine that funding is then converted into Fiat, thus us being dumped on. 

I am making some assumptions here and would happy if I were wrong....

24 minutes ago, Dinoizzy said:

They've said a lot of things - that being one of the least believable.

The XRP community has been a valuable asset but I think they have taken us for granted.  They have so much money and have had such a good support network on the ground, but it seems it may have gone to their heads.  These last few days are a wake up call for us and them.  It is going to be interesting to see if they are going to respond to the disillusionment or pretend that everything in the garden is dandy. 

Brad's most impressive work has been the assembling of a crack team drawn (often poached) from all quarters.  I get the impression most of them are very satisfied with their jobs and the progress of their departments. Cory Johnson left (I never rated him but others did).  For me this is a big metric on which Ripples success really depends.  I will be watching to gage whether there is disillusionment inside the company.  Are they going to be loyal or will they picked off to other companies.

Edited by Julian_Williams

3 hours ago, Cooliozxrp said:

Basically ripple and Brad need to make more money for their private backers, they not gonna support a project that's gonna result in a loss just to please retail xrp bagholders

Brad should in fact do much more for 'retail bag holders'. They have been Ripple's main source of income for the past 3 years.

1 hour ago, richxrp said:

From the tone of this article, it would seem that there is a regulatory angle to ripple's strategic madness ... to support competing blockchains ..  I'll let others chime in their opinions..

https://zycrypto.com/ripple-ceo-brad-garlinghouse-speaks-on-libra-xrp-and-crypto-regulations/

The following article was a year ago ..... almost the same message ..

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/07/ripple-ceo-tells-cryptocurrency-industry-to-work-with-the-regulators.html

this actually makes a bit of sense by providing further xrp divergence - "we participate in companies that do not use xrp"

edit: working closely with regulators doesn't mean you are fully compliant from day-one. it means you are getting clear instruction on what it will take to become compliant (re:howey test, security)

Edited by aye-epp

2 hours ago, princesultan said:

As a previous poster also noted, this is exactly the peanut butter issue that Brad opposed back at Yahoo. 

That would be true if those were Ripple products and Ripple's product teams incorporating those. They aren't, therefore the comparison doesn't make sense.

Ripple doesn't seem to be widening its area of focus or muddling its vision, since these are investments in other companies which are not taking time from Ripple's product teams (that seem to still be focused on delivering on Ripple's vision).

The way I interpret this, despite like most not having enough information, is that it's about creating an ecosystem and having a seat at the table, which may become valuable later for several reasons (some of which people have already mentioned).

Edited by Socrates

4 minutes ago, Socrates said:

That would be true if those were Ripple products and Ripple's product teams incorporating those. They aren't, therefore the comparison doesn't make sense.

Ripple doesn't seem to be widening its area of focus or muddling its vision, since these are investments in other companies which are not taking time from Ripple's product teams (that seem to still be focused on delivering on Ripple's vision).

The way I interpret this, despite like most not having enough information, is that it's about creating an ecosystem and having a seat at the table, which may become valuable later for several reasons (some of which people have already mentioned).

could be.... and i hope you're right....

My guess is (as strange as this sounds) that maybe one of their goals is to end tribalism in crypto? XRP has been like the evil empire to so many maxis and libertarians. Maybe this is a way to restructure image, spread the wealth, and back the whole ecosystem as the Sun in the center of the crypto Solar System. None of us would've been complaining about this during ATH in 2018, now it deserves the questions though I agree. I'm sure they have the retail % XRP ownership number that no one brings up - what we as the community own 1% of total XRP supply? It's an olive branch that to me still seems higher risk and lower reward. 

2 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

The XRP community has been a valuable asset but I think they have taken us for granted.  They have so much money and have had such a good support network on the ground, but it seems it may have gone to their heads.  These last few days are a wake up call for us and them.  It is going to be interesting to see if they are going to respond to the disillusionment or pretend that everything in the garden is dandy. 

Brad's most impressive work has been the assembling of a crack team drawn (often poached) from all quarters.  I get the impression most of them are very satisfied with their jobs and the progress of their departments. Cory Johnson left (I never rated him but others did).  For me this is a big metric on which Ripples success really depends.  I will be watching to gage whether there is disillusionment inside the company.  Are they going to be loyal or will they picked off to other companies.

I wasnt around at the start but i am led to believe Ripple encouraged, or recomended Gatehub to early buyers?

I was certainly directed to gatehub when i went to the Ripple website end of Nov 2017 as a place to buy XRP.

If they cared about the xrp community so much they would give the people who lost in the hack what they lost from the next escrow release. It would make no difference to them at all.

21 minutes ago, Dinoizzy said:

I wasnt around at the start but i am led to believe Ripple encouraged, or recomended Gatehub to early buyers?

I was certainly directed to gatehub when i went to the Ripple website end of Nov 2017 as a place to buy XRP.

If they cared about the xrp community so much they would give the people who lost in the hack what they lost from the next escrow release. It would make no difference to them at all.

The XRP community may be small, but without it, they simply do not have a product called xRapid because exchange liquidity would be approximately zero. They could do worse than make some moves to keep the community happy, and to encourage more market participants.

So, I agree with you on this. They ought to take some responsibility, if not purely as an act of kindness then at least as a savvy business move. Maybe they will.

Edited by JA8

8 minutes ago, Dinoizzy said:

When Ripple Trade was shutting down, they provided an easy way of migrating to GateHub. However in the email, after explaining that option, they also said:

(...) We understand that you may not want to migrate to GateHub, and we encourage those users to explore other wallet providers in the RCL ecosystem. (...)

with "other wallet providers" being a link, which unfortunately was tied to their CRM system and is no longer valid.

No one recommended (and the argument for saying they encouraged is also debatable, weak IMO) anyone to migrate to GateHub.

24 minutes ago, Dinoizzy said:

These are snapshots of the "How to Buy XRP" page from ripple.com on August 2017 and December 2017.
 - https://web.archive.org/web/20170810092028/https://ripple.com/xrp/buy-xrp/
 - https://web.archive.org/web/20171211225351/https://ripple.com/xrp/buy-xrp/

I can count 15 options (believe they were all exchanges), with Bitstamp, Kraken, Gatehub, and btcxIndia taking the first row.

how_to_buy_xrp_20170810.thumb.png.ece27bb68c1d68a3d1e1eb5e609f3918.png

29 minutes ago, Dinoizzy said:

Ripple is not in the business of being charitable to speculators for mistakes of others.

Also, this has been debated numerous times in our community, but also the wider digital asset community: exchanges and online wallets have risks and leaving your digital assets in them is subject to said risks. Even if for some reason you don't want to have and manage your own offline/hardware wallet (fear of losing the seed, trojans, etc), leaving all your eggs in one basket is also a questionable decision.

11 minutes ago, JA8 said:

The XRP community may be small, but without it, they simply do not have a product called xRapid because exchange liquidity would be approximately zero. 

Mind expanding this thought?

What are we offering?

What do you mean by "exchange liquidity"? XRP? Fiat?

What are the requirements for xRapid to be a success?

25 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Mind expanding this thought?

What are we offering?

What do you mean by "exchange liquidity"? XRP? Fiat?

What are the requirements for xRapid to be a success?

Sure.

Retail market participants like us (i.e. those using crypto exchanges) provide a base level of liquidity (both fiat and XRP) without which xRapid cannot really function at present. 

Until such time xRapid partner-fuelled liquidity eclipses the base liquidity we provide, then Ripple is extremely reliant on us.

Partner-driven xRapid liquidity is unlikely to eclipse retail liquidity for quite some time.

I can’t really answer your last question as there are too many variables, and I would not presume to know enough of them. But of course it goes without saying that without people trading XRP, xRapid cannot even begin to crawl.