Xpring invested projects

yxxyun

Just now, TiffanyHayden said:

I don't know. It almost seems like they intentionally keep outsiders off. It's been 7 years and no non-Ripple affiliated businesses have wanted to build on it. Isn't that strange?

Can you distinguish the difference between "infrasturucture" and "platform"? 

I think you may have misconception. 

Xrpl and interledger was built as infrastructure when ethereum and other similar projects were built as "platform" 

"Infrastructure" aim for national security, reliability and "platform" aim more toward openness, experiments. 

Xrpl could also be used as "platform" but it natively leans toward specific use case (finance infrastructure) and reliability.

It seems you are criticizing xrpl for not behaving like a platform. 

Xrpl is financial infrastructure layer and ethereum is smart contract platform layer. 

They are simply different layers. Each have their own role.

1 hour ago, quan said:

Xrpl and interledger was built as infrastructure

Can you please point to where you think this infrastructure exists? The network almost halted because we have subpar validators holding it up. The network was in trouble again during the spam attack, when validators started going down at like 100 TPS, even thought it's advertised that the XRPL can process 1500 TPS! We don't have the infrastructure for that. Not even close. We only have one hub, provided by a volunteer who pays $1000/m to maintain it, and we need more. And we need web sockets.

Edited by TiffanyHayden

12 minutes ago, KarmaCoverage said:

Did the TX fee spike? I'd like to see that.

Welcome back to this forum, I cant do Twitter, too much arguing and "you cant fix stupid" people.

I'm really noticing as I post here how much effort I have to put into using my inside voice, so as not to kill anyone on accident, since I'm so used to the vile behavior on Twitter, lol. 

Everything before COVID-19 is a blur. Fortunately, Twitter at least serves as a good place for the short term memories I'm no longer retaining. I don't remember even wondering about a TX fee spike, but let me go find the date that it happened so we can look. 

And Hi!!! It's great to see you again.

If you don't know who the biggest superhero in the XRP community is, it's Alloy. He won't tell you how many hours he puts in (he watches over the network 24/7) or how much money he's spent on hardware (at least $60k) or how much he pays monthly ($1k minimum, I suspect much more), all as a volunteer. 

During the spam attack, he had data flow in excess of 300 Terabytes on his servers. Why would it be any better for him if it was an increase in real transactions like XRP users hope for? 

alloy spam.png

Edited by TiffanyHayden

1 minute ago, TiffanyHayden said:

Why would it be any better for him if it was an increase in real transactions like XRP users hope for? 

I would think it would be the same, and that it would make sense that sustained increases in TX fees would increase the value of each XRP's Utility value.

1 minute ago, KarmaCoverage said:

I would think it would be the same, and that it would make sense that sustained increases in TX fees would increase the value of each XRP's Utility value.

It would be the same and it's unaffordable for volunteers. 

The core infrastructure that we need in order to handle a large increase in transactions is extremely expensive - high capacity hubs, full history servers, websocket clusters, etc.

Our current capabilities:

Our current situation:

Edited by TiffanyHayden

5 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Giving millions to snoop dog, clintons, ellen degeneres, and so on... while XRPL developers get a middle finger..

Ripple was much more community and retail minded as was every blockchain developer back in the days, as building a community was the road to both succes and money.

Something changed suddenly a little over a year ago, together with the reduced selling of escrow. Seeing the lack of communication and support today I think it is a conscious choice... what that reason is we can only speculate, but it is clear that Ripple is aiming at retail consumers a lot less (read: not) than before. 

Perhaps banks they spoke with did not like the openness of the network. Perhaps the lawsuits made it clear they should minimize communication. Perhaps they just got tired of the bearmarket whiners in the community. Perhaps they just don't like competition on the network.

Whether it is the smartest choice to limit funding third party developers and acces to the XRPL will be seen in the future.

For now developers might be better of going to other networks. Not that those are truly succeeding much, but hey, one has to be the first.

2 hours ago, TiffanyHayden said:

I don't know. It almost seems like they intentionally keep outsiders off. It's been 7 years and no non-Ripple affiliated businesses have wanted to build on it. Isn't that strange?

At the least it would be an excellent question from the community during another Q&A. 

24 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

Something changed suddenly a little over a year ago, together with the reduced selling of escrow.

There is a "quiet period" that they will have to do, if they IPO.

42 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

Perhaps banks they spoke with did not like the openness of the network. Perhaps the lawsuits made it clear they should minimize communication.

https://www.occ.gov/news-issuances/news-releases/2020/nr-occ-2020-98.html

This should help the banks get over their meekness. The ones that dont, will end up facing competition from Crypto Exchanges that get a Banking license. But with several of them spending up to $1b (Fidelity & ICE each) I sort of expect a relative wave or surge of "announcements" that say something along the line of "we have been quietly working on our Digital Asset offering for a while".