Xpring invested projects

yxxyun

13 minutes ago, yxxyun said:

yeah, xpring is support developers to develop products on ethereum to support XRPL, that's right approach isn't it.

As mentioned before, I think it's not an easy task to support developers in a sustainable way. To establish a healthy community of developers/engineers, they should be able to start projects with a good risk/reward aspect. A good aspect in mining is imo that it gives people an incentive to "work" with the network. Money can be made and spent within the network. Once I hoped Codius would became such a place. But currently, the party is running on another floor :/

28 minutes ago, TiffanyHayden said:

What is flywheel? 

Flywheel is a format whats needed to get an ecosystem going. Below a simple example. 

I think it was @Julian_Williams who also shared a nice video on how this applies to blockchain more detailed. 

/Edit:  Flywheel point around 9 minute mark.

image.thumb.png.bfcff937105ddefefc2151d8de27b852.png

Edited by Caracappa

22 minutes ago, TiffanyHayden said:

Which non-Ripple affiliated business is building on the XRPL?

Wiets Wind with XRPL labs is about the only one I know of that actually delivers. Which is exactly my point with the FlyWheel about third party developers needed to create a community. 

But perhaps the other aspects of the flywheel should be build out more before that actually comes to fruition. I imagine a simple thing as price could attract more developers, this bearmarket just came at a somewhat inconvenient time ;)

19 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

I'm also not saying it is a bad thing. The flywheel can start spinning by giving everybody acces to it (ETH for example) and hope some killer apps come from that. You however run the risk of someone developing CryptoKitties and clogging up the rails while at the same time you are giving a presentation to a big bank about your superduper network and failing because of that.

The alternative is to make it a little harder to get acces, let a commission decide who's in or not and get the wheel spinning with your hand on the pedal/brake. You will be attacked by people that you are not open source enough, but the network and application progress can be much more steered in the 'right' direction. Whoever decides that...

So, here's another thing. XRP is different from almost every other crypto in that it requires volunteers to process transactions. It's fine if people want to buy Bitcoin or Ethereum and not bother to participate in the network because miners are PAID to process transactions. With XRP, if you're not running a node somebody else has to do it for you...for free! More transactions equal higher out of pocket costs for volunteers. For example, during a recent spam attack, my monthly data bill went from $200/m to $500/m. While holders might be hoping for a massive increase in transactions, don't be so sure the people running the network want it or have the infrastructure to support it. 

This also creates an almost adversarial situation between the people running the network and its users. Contrary to popular belief,  it is not an honor,  joy or privilege to pay nontrivial out of pocket costs every month so that XRP users can have nearly free transactions. While I don't know of any validator operator who is interested in receiving compensation, most are interested in a COOPERATIVE network, with many people helping, and instead we have massive amounts of people proudly declaring their intent to do nothing. @MsRabbitKick was the first validator added to the dUNL. I share her sentiment. 

1 minute ago, Caracappa said:

Wiets Wind with XRPL labs is about the only one I know of that actually delivers. Which is exactly my point with the FlyWheel about third party developers needed to create a community. 

But perhaps the other aspects of the flywheel should be build out more before that actually comes to fruition. I imagine a simple thing as price could attract more developers, this bearmarket just came at a somewhat inconvenient time ;)

He's not unaffiliated with Ripple. He's funded by them. 

1 minute ago, Caracappa said:

Sorry, I thought you meant 'not an ex Ripple employee' with unaffiliated. He indeed is funded because apparantly they did like his idea(s).

It's important to distinguish between Ripple stakeholders and XRPL stakeholders. I mentioned 2 problems earlier. The dUNL thing really pisses me off, but it's actually the easiest to fix. The other problem is lack of XRPL stakeholders. If there aren't any now, after 7 years, who do we think is coming?

7 minutes ago, TiffanyHayden said:

It's important to distinguish between Ripple stakeholders and XRPL stakeholders. I mentioned 2 problems earlier. The dUNL thing really pisses me off, but it's actually the easiest to fix. The other problem is lack of XRPL stakeholders. If there aren't any now, after 7 years, who do we think is coming?

I don't have the answer to that, perhaps no one. And to be honest I'm not in the caring camp. If it stays Ripples network with some funded side projects, and Ripple succeeds in what they are trying then fine. If ETH becomes the open source network where everybody can create something uncontrollable then it's fine also. Lets be fair, what actual functional projects on any blockchain have risen since BTC was created that is not still just an idea, a test, a pilot or a startup hoping to succeed. That's ten years by now. Were still in the speculation era hoping on utility.

And to be even more fairer, I think most third party developers actually really started their intrest in blockchain in 2017 when the world got aware of crypto and prices soared. Many came, many failed to find a use case and the bearmarket killed most newcomers.

Perhaps this whole blockchain is nothing more then an ideal dream of open source, world improving technology and stays just that because a database can do many of the functions just as good and more scalable. Just not as open.

In the meantime I hope one of the investments brings a profit, and I'm one of the douches not contributing on a technical level other than that on a forum.