ledgerobserver

alivingledger.com becomes ledger.observer with new features & entirely open source

22 minutes ago, nikb said:

Working on it :)

It is really awesome by the way (though maybe a bit difficult to grasp if one doesn't know what's going on). Thanks for planning to open source this too and also of course to @ledgerobserver for his/her great tool and the decision to release it as well! Stuff like this is what I hoped to come out of the xSpring sponsorships by the way.

3 hours ago, Sukrim said:

It is really awesome by the way (though maybe a bit difficult to grasp if one doesn't know what's going on). Thanks for planning to open source this too and also of course to @ledgerobserver for his/her great tool and the decision to release it as well! Stuff like this is what I hoped to come out of the xSpring sponsorships by the way.

It is complicated, but then again, we are trying to visualize something complicated. It’s a hard thing.

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for you awesome feedback. I have to agree to @Sukrim, making stuff open-source kind of drives innovation. That said, I'm very happy, that it is honored :)

6 hours ago, nikb said:

It is complicated, but then again, we are trying to visualize something complicated. It’s a hard thing.

I often like to talk about it as a projection: We have complex data, and we want to simplify things. That is, project the data to a simpler representation.

The difficult part is, that complex information must be reduced tremendously in the most cases. To the contrary, we have the desire not to distort the truth or, more important, not to suggest a wrong idea of the truth.

Again, thanks to you all, means a lot to me. 

Edited by ledgerobserver

Looks great! Thanks for your continued work. 

The first thing I wonder as I watch: what size is each balance sheet? Have you already looked into color-coding or sizing nodes according to balance sheet size, for a given selected currency, such as XRP or USD (I'm guessing this data isn't contained in the tx, so it would be another series of queries, potentially slowing things down?) 

3 hours ago, Wandering_Dog said:

Looks great! Thanks for your continued work. 

The first thing I wonder as I watch: what size is each balance sheet? Have you already looked into color-coding or sizing nodes according to balance sheet size, for a given selected currency, such as XRP or USD (I'm guessing this data isn't contained in the tx, so it would be another series of queries, potentially slowing things down?) 

Thanks for your feedback!

One thing that is on the todo list is to visualize the "direction" of transaction. Attendee & Issuer gets already categorized and it would be great to see something like a flow in the network. That said, a flow could be something visually weighted. Quantifying nodes by their balance is another great idea, and, thanks to you, already on our todo list. The difficulty will be to do it for multiple currencies. What if there is some esoteric IOU we don't find an exchange rate against e.g. XRP? Should we just skip it?

Just now, ledgerobserver said:

What if there is some esoteric IOU we don't find an exchange rate against e.g. XRP? Should we just skip it?

I would value currencies that are not transitively tradeable for/against XRP at exactly 0 (or µ --> meaning an extremely small number different from 0) until there's a path towards XRP.

17 hours ago, nikb said:

Working on it :)

that is an awesome visualization :clapping:

reminds me of watching punch cards strolling by

a short video explaining the metric visualizations would be beneficial, maybe an adept community member perhaps ;)