Tyvole

POW systems and Climate Change !

49 minutes ago, invest2lose said:

theres many other useless things that waste more energy. In the grand scheme of things its small. 

I'd much rather the energy was used on the other useless things.  PoW doesn't need to exist when there are better alternatives.

Yes 10,000 inch TVs and 909090Ti gpx cards don't need to exist when there are alternatives like playing Bridge or Scrabble, but are they better alternatives?

34 minutes ago, EcneitapLatnem said:

This isn't fair!  You may be unaware, but there is a decent number of BTC maxis on this forum who disguise themselves as XRP fans..... this might hurt their feelings!

I dont care about cultists or maxis or whatever tribalism goes on. Anywhere, And even xrp maxis **** me off honestly. There are many good projects out there that have their use and right to be promoted, no need to get stuck on some tech, Just imagine someone getting hard on on HTTPS,  and going everywhere and bashing HTTP. Sounds retarded , bud thats what many people do.

53 minutes ago, mrhat75 said:

Fusion will make it irrelevant.....it's just 20 years around the corner you know....

Yhe We know we know :D 

Posted (edited)

Don't forget btc transactions are much slower and way more expensive.....

I guess digital gold is what we will be using it for..... 

Edited by EcneitapLatnem
gonna get my digital girlfriend a digital gold necklace.

3 hours ago, Tyvole said:

This is XRP CHAT forums, so i talk about Blockchain and its energy impact.

where's the correlation here? Energy impact with XRP isn't a discussion.

An alternative question I would pose: how much energy is expended by workers and machines to print and transact with USD?

Frankly, I'd question whether anyone is deeply informed on this topic since the research is still quite new and data isn't abundant.

6 hours ago, Grey said:

Isn't the energy consumption an important part of the network's security?

It is. So? Its just bad implementation - And it should be pointed out, e v e r y  t i m e , that is my point :)

14 hours ago, invest2lose said:

Imo this is unnecessary fud. Much of it comes from renewable resources and plus theres many other useless things that waste more energy. In the grand scheme of things its small.  

You are a fool if you believe this. Current BTC mining is of the order of 60 ExaHashes per day (10^18) and consumes as much power as a small country. Whilst a fraction of this comes from renewable and potentially otherwise unused sources, using this as a justification is wrong. It is not insignificant, it harms the environment and it serves no purpose - better consensus algorithms exist, as ripple/etc have demonstrated (and libra will too). BTC mining exists for only one purpose now, satisfying greed and turning electricity into $$$ and vice versa. If I stand on a ladder and urinate over you, you'll be dry by tomorrow, but that doesn't make it acceptable. Forward thinking countries are taking measures to protect the environment, phasing out combustion engines, coal fired power stations, energy inefficient boilers and engines, consumer devices and single use plastics, they will no doubt ban POW mining in the future - this will erode any store of value arguments in favour of bitcoin et al and make POW coins obsolete - it's not if, but when.

36 minutes ago, jbjnr said:

You are a fool if you believe this. Current BTC mining is of the order of 60 ExaHashes per day (10^18) and consumes as much power as a small country. Whilst a fraction of this comes from renewable and potentially otherwise unused sources, using this as a justification is wrong. It is not insignificant, it harms the environment and it serves no purpose - better consensus algorithms exist, as ripple/etc have demonstrated (and libra will too). BTC mining exists for only one purpose now, satisfying greed and turning electricity into $$$ and vice versa. If I stand on a ladder and urinate over you, you'll be dry by tomorrow, but that doesn't make it acceptable. Forward thinking countries are taking measures to protect the environment, phasing out combustion engines, coal fired power stations, energy inefficient boilers and engines, consumer devices and single use plastics, they will no doubt ban POW mining in the future - this will erode any store of value arguments in favour of bitcoin et al and make POW coins obsolete - it's not if, but when.

YOU GET IT!! PERFECT RESPONSE.