This is clearly a place where Ripple wants to shine as production ready - they are watching the validators being bought by other major payment networks and are keenly aware that facebook is unlikely to have a developed product of their own until 2020 - while Ripple tech works, has a streamlined implementation process now, saves money, keeps customers happy potentially and is production-ready now.

That's the message I got from the latest Brad Garlinghouse interview on the topic.

I think facebook's announcements and the variety of $10million contributors to the libra project really lit a fire under the stack of partners in pilot phase or otherwise sitting on the fence regarding active participation in RippleNet - and if they can be offered incentives to run validators and decentralize the XRPL even more, so much the better.

Moneygram is the first domino to fall of many, and facebook pushing the time envelope is just the nudge needed to set RippleNet partnerships in motion. Very exciting times.

4 hours ago, dr_ed said:

It's a bit of a tricky spot. They need to make Moneygram profitable, and this is Ripple's chance to demo the cost savings they tout. In my view the best outcome is for Moneygram to gain significant market share, so that the banks see the handwriting on the wall.

Ripple can't afford to be anything but full speed ahead on this....they've sunk a bunch of money into an overly indebted company that wouldn't be worth the trouble except for the obvious opportunity to demo xRapid and prove the cost savings. It's a bold move, but if it doesn't work out it could hurt Ripple and XRP.

If this partnership with MoneyGram fails then I might sell my XRP. Ripple will have a lot of explaining to do if they aren't able to deliver with the xRapid product on this deal.

This is Ripple's time to shine. MoneyGram's success likely depends on Ripple being able to deliver on the promised cost-savings.

If the xRapid experience and cost-savings that Ripple has been advertising is really magnificent in true then this partnership should be a home run, hands down. And based on the outline of the partnership, Ripple thinks they can do it in two years!

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Has anyone tried it yet? It looks like MoneyGram charges €0.99 only (https://secure.moneygram.com/mgo/nl/nl/estimate/payment-options), regardless of the amount and country of destination.  

? It would surprise me if it's up and running, but game on if so ... what I've read so far has been opaque as to the implementation timeline. 

45 minutes ago, AlejoMoreno said:

If this partnership with MoneyGram fails then I might sell my XRP. Ripple will have a lot of explaining to do if they aren't able to deliver with the xRapid product on this deal.

This is Ripple's time to shine. MoneyGram's success likely depends on Ripple being able to deliver on the promised cost-savings.

If the xRapid experience and cost-savings that Ripple has been advertising is really magnificent in true then this partnership should be a home run, hands down. And based on the outline of the partnership, Ripple thinks they can do it in two years!

This is something I and everyone else here must take into extreme consideration.  My other comment on this post meshes perfectly with your comment.  Within 1-2 years we should see Moneygrams transactions costs, SG&A costs, and "Settlement Assets" reduced by a huge figures.  Moneygram should essentially rise from the dead if XRP and Ripple hold up to what they have said the technology delivers.  This star will shine so bright no one should be able to deny it.

This is the ultimate showcase and validation opportunity, if it doesn't pan out everyone will have to reconsider their investment.

27 minutes ago, Bettergoham said:

This is something I and everyone else here must take into extreme consideration.  My other comment on this post meshes perfectly with your comment.  Within 1-2 years we should see Moneygrams transactions costs, SG&A costs, and "Settlement Assets" reduced by a huge figures.  Moneygram should essentially rise from the dead if XRP and Ripple hold up to what they have said the technology delivers.  This star will shine so bright no one should be able to deny it.

This is the ultimate showcase and validation opportunity, if it doesn't pan out everyone will have to reconsider their investment.

It will workout. There is no "if it doesnt pan out"

Only someone who didnt research the basics of xrp would think that is even possible.

I swear even the people who invested in xrp with their cold hard cash can be the ones with lack of vision or belief in their investment.

10 minutes ago, Finesse said:

Only someone who didnt research the basics of xrp would think that is even possible.

I swear even the people who invested in xrp with their cold hard cash can be the ones with lack of vision or belief in their investment.

There is ALWAYS a chance that something won't workout.

Ripple and XRP isn't a bullet proof omnipotent project that can foresee all things good and bad. If you have been following Ripple for a while then you can read about some mistakes that they have said that they made.

Having said that, I do think it will succeed. However, there is definitely a chance it won't.

Like Bettergoham said, Ripple and MoneyGram better be able to show printed results about how they are better off as a result of this partnership.

22 minutes ago, Finesse said:

The Ripple team has produced significantly brilliant ideas and exhibits the professionalism required to accomplish very difficult goals.

I would be hesitant to bet aginst them. Fbook is late to the game, but they have significant resources and a large network graph to leverage as a competitive edge. 

At the end of the day, I think fbook will have mild success, and will join the ILP IoV and possibly RippleNet as a hub node payment network.

3 minutes ago, AlejoMoreno said:

There is ALWAYS a chance that something won't workout.

Ripple and XRP isn't a bullet proof omnipotent project that can foresee all things good and bad. If you have been following Ripple for a while then you can read about some mistakes that they have said that they made.

Having said that, I do think it will succeed. However, there is definitely a chance it won't.

Like Bettergoham said, Ripple and MoneyGram better be able to show printed results about how they are better off as a result of this partnership.

Its really simple to me:

3-4 second transaction time

1000's of transactions a second capability

Liquidity

no more pre funded nostro/vostro accounts

Which makes it impossible to fail.

Only thing that could fail would be a critical failure in the code which is impossible with over 48 million ledgers closed successfully. 

I repeat again it will not fail. It wouldn't have made it out of a test phase from a publicly traded company if it could.

16 minutes ago, Finesse said:

Its really simple to me:

Liquidity

Only thing that could fail would be a critical failure in the code which is impossible with over 48 million ledgers closed successfully. 

I repeat again it will not fail. It wouldn't have made it out of a test phase from a publicly traded company if it could.

Believe me, I absolutely believe this will pan out, but these are the basic rules of finance that have existed forever.  No Risk, No Reward.  It is that simple.  Government regulation could suddenly squash everything or something better could come along. Yes I invested with cold hard cash, that does not mean my "vision" or "belief" should ever be blind to all possibilities.

The truth is this, if there was no chance to fail the market would have already valued XRP much higher than it is today.  You, I, and everyone else in this forum would have mortgaged everything we own and exchanged for XRP.  That is simply not the case.

2 hours ago, Bettergoham said:

Believe me, I absolutely believe this will pan out, but these are the basic rules of finance that have existed forever.  No Risk, No Reward.  It is that simple.  Government regulation could suddenly squash everything or something better could come along. Yes I invested with cold hard cash, that does not mean my "vision" or "belief" should ever be blind to all possibilities.

The truth is this, if there was no chance to fail the market would have already valued XRP much higher than it is today.  You, I, and everyone else in this forum would have mortgaged everything we own and exchanged for XRP.  That is simply not the case.

I’ve been saying this for 18 months. There is no sure thing. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ringer2 said:

I’ve been saying this for 18 months. There is no sure thing. 

2 hours ago, Bettergoham said:

yes we get it there is always those on a thread about partnerships saying something to the effect of " dont forget this could all go to 0, we may not moon"

We get it.

But this is a thread about a partnership with a publicly traded company declaring xrp the future and ripple acquired 10% of it.

Can we all agree these are exciting times not in need of doomsday scenarios being brought up.

And lets be real the likelihood of this not going anywhere or to $0.00 is about 0.0009% 

Edited by Finesse

3 hours ago, Finesse said:

Its really simple to me:

Liquidity

Sorry mate but you are not thinking straight.  Yeah we can all love Ripple and XRP, and think this is a great strategic move with massive potential, but only a fool thinks there can be no possibility of failure.

Any number of existential risks exist.  I’m thinking we are likely to succeed,  but it is not, and never has been, a sure thing.

Please don’t quit your day job today because “it is impossible to fail”....

I know nothing about finance.  Perhaps these are dunce questions:

1. How can a stable coin be a basket of currencies.  The currencies go up and down against each other all the time but the stable coin is supposed to have a constant value, or is the stable coin one complicated algorithm that changes its relative value of the base currencies all the time.  Four different currencies all going different ways - how do you reconcile that?

2. How are trade imbalances dealt with.  OK FB has 40 billion, but this is the sort of volume that gets eaten up in minutes on international money markets that transfer 5 trillion a day and any trade imbalance would result in the coins arriving and accumulating in one location.  The coins have to go back to resupply the trade deficit country, but by then the relative value of the fiat to fiat will have changed.  Is this is real money moving, or is it all pretend vostro nostro mudbath?. 

XRP Ripplenet is an elegant solution because the XRP tokens find their own value and flow to where they are needed at the value they really have and are traded between Market makers.  XRP works with the flexibility exchange rates, not against them.  FB seems simple on first look but I can't help thinking it will end up with all sorts of anomalies that are impossible to fix without a very complex overlay of fudging and forcing square blocks into round holes.   

They tell us proudly that face book have 40 billion in cash.  Are they going to commit all of that to this project.  Ripple have 40 billion XRP at present worth 16 billion, but as soon as the price of XRP goes up to ten dollars they have generated ten times as much liquidity as the FB system own.  Suddenly FB look like the small guy in the ring that is going to get punched around.

32 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

Sorry mate but you are not thinking straight.  Yeah we can all love Ripple and XRP, and think this is a great strategic move with massive potential, but only a fool thinks there can be no possibility of failure.

Any number of existential risks exist.  I’m thinking we are likely to succeed,  but it is not, and never has been, a sure thing.

Please don’t quit your day job today because “it is impossible to fail”....

Like i said earlier i acknowledged there is some  risk in my opinion around 0.0009%.

48 million ledgers closed with no issue since inception.

We know the cost and speed.

We know the friction and cost of the current system.

We know it is a old system due for disruption.

We know the over 200 partners ripple has

We know there are companies utilizing xrp with success everyday.

There is some risk but its basically a sure thing in my eyes which is why im buying it up as much as i can.

Also another point i asked for, can we not make a thread with good news about possible doomsday scenarios that are highly unlikely.