Sign in to follow this  
mrak

Help reading xrpcharts / metrics

I think that a lot of you have probably seen the recent spikes in XRP payments on the xrpcharts:  https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/metrics

I've been trying to figure out what is going on, but it became clear that I actually don't understand what data are being plotted here.

• If you look at the first chart on the page for the number of transactions on 2019-6-10, you see that the number is about 770,000.
  • If you look at the number of payments on this day the number is about 64,000.
  • If you scroll down to transactions by type, the number of payments is about an order of magnitude greater: 517,000.
  • If you sum all the transaction types you get about 1,843,000 transactions, which is inconsistent with the first number by more than a factor of 2.

Does anyone understand what is really being plotted here? I initially assumed that payments were the transfer of XRP from one account to another. However, I now suspect that payments also include transfers of IOUs as well. Given that the number of payments are listed twice and are inconsistent, I am curious if this is because people are doing tests on the mainnet with worthless IOUs.

Thanks!

Well, that is an odd design choice.... In any case, the numbers still don't add up:

If I sum the number of payments made between 2019-6-4 and 2019-6-10 I get 319,500. However, if you look at the weekly transactions by type chart, there are 517,266 payments for the week ending on 2019-6-10.

Also, if you were to sum all the transactions for a week long period 2019-6-4 to 2019-6-10 you get 6,291,836 transactions, but the weekly chart by type lists 1,911,670, which is off by a factor of 3.

Still confused.

8 hours ago, mrak said:

I think that a lot of you have probably seen the recent spikes in XRP payments on the xrpcharts:  https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/metrics

I've been trying to figure out what is going on, but it became clear that I actually don't understand what data are being plotted here.

• If you look at the first chart on the page for the number of transactions on 2019-6-10, you see that the number is about 770,000.
  • If you look at the number of payments on this day the number is about 64,000.
  • If you scroll down to transactions by type, the number of payments is about an order of magnitude greater: 517,000.
  • If you sum all the transaction types you get about 1,843,000 transactions, which is inconsistent with the first number by more than a factor of 2.

Does anyone understand what is really being plotted here? I initially assumed that payments were the transfer of XRP from one account to another. However, I now suspect that payments also include transfers of IOUs as well. Given that the number of payments are listed twice and are inconsistent, I am curious if this is because people are doing tests on the mainnet with worthless IOUs.

Thanks!

This might matter. I haven't done the math, and you probably already know this, but I thought I'd mention it.

One very important aspect to understand about xRapid that's unique to it, is that xRapid drives BOTH market AND ledger transactions, in a ratio of 2 to 1 because there's two exchange transactions and one ledger transaction for every xRapid transfer. In this way, it's possible to figure out approximately how much of the current price of XRP is due to speculation, or utility.

http://galgitron.net/Post/How-xRapid-Worksand-Doesnt