Beginners Guide: Creating a Cold Ripple Wallet (3.0)

Mercury

8 hours ago, xxxripple said:

i meant to say not how do i send cuz its easy to send , but i dont know how to submit the transaction online so it goes thru

the wallet has a helper apps Ripple Submit

I had never tried this myself, but if i understood it correctly, @segra, this steps should work:

1.  construct (*) and signed a payment transaction using the cold-wallet,
  2. click "show as qr-code", and snap it with you mobile phone,
  3. submit the qr-code photo to the helper apps above.

(*): in order for a transaction to succeed, you have to input the correct sequence number... to check the sequence, you can input your account into another wallet apps (in "watch-only" mode, do not give your secret) on other computer that's connecting to internet.

Edited by ripplerm

1 hour ago, ripplerm said:

the wallet has a helper apps Ripple Submit

I had never tried this myself, but if i understood it correctly, @segra, this steps should work:

1.  construct (*) and signed a payment transaction using the cold-wallet,
  2. click "show as qr-code", and snap it with you mobile phone,
  3. submit the qr-code photo to the helper apps above.

(*): in order for a transaction to succeed, you have to input the correct sequence number... to check the sequence, you can input your account into another wallet apps (in "watch-only" mode, do not give your secret) on other computer that's connecting to internet.

Yeah,

That is the correct process, now also detailed over at https://github.com/segrax/xrp-wallet/issues/1

Also; It does store the sequence number, but you do need to enter the correct sequence number before you sign your first transaction (and if you never submit the signed tx, you will need to reset the sequence number)

On 9.3.2017 at 3:11 AM, PunishmentOfLuxury said:

It may be worth adding that (I think I'm right in saying) the wallet could be generated on an offline or airgapped computer by copying the webpage code and transferring it to such by means of a USB stick or whatever.

how ? 

i can see the code with "view-source"  but not sure how to open it on air gap pc

On 12/05/2017 at 4:40 PM, joy said:

how ? 

i can see the code with "view-source"  but not sure how to open it on air gap pc

Go here and click the green download button: https://github.com/ripplerm/ripple-wallet

Unzip the downloaded file to a USB drive. Copy to offline computer. Open index.html in Firefox.

(I can't vouch for the safety of the wallet code - I don't have the skills to vet it.)

hi 

can someone advise how to move XRP from one cold wallet to another

I have multiple wallets generated with offline generator from Github and I want to transfer from Wallet 1 to Wallet 2...

I have public and secret keys from both... but not sure how to action ... 

7 hours ago, namini said:

You can import your secret key in any wallet: Gatehub, Rippex Desktop wallet or an hosted wallet and move your funds from there. Note that you won't be able to withdraw each wallet reserve (20 XRP) + 5 XRP per trust line.

thank you.

so that means, 25 XRP always have to stay on a wallet? I can't empty it ?

23 hours ago, namini said:

20 XRP always have to stay on the wallet and you can't withdraw that amount.

5 XRP is the amount per trust line (for example if you connected a trust line for BTC or USD) but you can remove trust lines.

https://ripple.com/build/reserves

thanks! very helpful.. 

just one more thing... can I withdraw the base reserve 20XRP from the paper wallet and after that it does not exist anymore ? Or will I never ever be able to touch them ? couldn't find this in the articel...

3 minutes ago, seolein said:

can I withdraw the base reserve 20XRP from the paper wallet and after that it does not exist anymore ?

No, this is not possible.

3 minutes ago, seolein said:

Or will I never ever be able to touch them ? 

Not until RCL lowers the minimum reserve amount (which may or may not happen).

So, in a nutshell, the cold paper wallet as per https://ihomp.github.io/ :

1. Link above produces a unique set of keys (Ripple address and secret key) each time it's loaded.
  2. Send the XRP to the generated paper wallet Ripple address.
  3. XRPs are in cold storage.
  4. When recovering XRP from cold storage, import the paper wallet's secret key to GateHub.
  5. The paper wallet is now a Ripple wallet in GateHub.
  6. Done?