Jump to content
Mcripple

I keep seeing Facebook coin / XRP rumors BUT

Recommended Posts

Guest

 

8 hours ago, Mcripple said:

Why would they be related at all? I’m assuming they aren’t related and this is more hype - but if I could be wrong I appreciate the knowledge you are preparing to bestow upon me

 

7 hours ago, Mcripple said:

1) I didn’t say there was a facebook / XRP relationship. 

That is quite funny. I will create a thread called: "I keep seeing rumors about XRP and Avis rental cars, BUT...".

Then I will appear startled when people are challenging me and telling me there is no relationship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, King34Maine said:

The value proposition in what Ripple has created involves maximizing the number of participants in RippleNet. This won't happen if Ripple, in turn, becomes a competitor to their customers. This is why it makes no sense for Ripple to purchase MoneyGram.  Just common sense reasoning here!!! Unless they are going to do something completely different with MoneyGram, I just don't see it happening.

Big corporations buy competing companies all the time, take the car making industry as an example where a single entity owns several marquees that compete directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Trickery said:

Big corporations buy competing companies all the time, take the car making industry as an example where a single entity owns several marquees that compete directly.

Yeah, but the key word is "competing companies!!" Ripple is a neutral counter-party in the equation. They are not in competition with their customers (i.e. banks, FIs, et al). They provide solutions that ENABLE their customers to better compete and gain leverage over their competitors. Again, that's the whole point of Ripple's business model. Being the ENABLER is the proverbial sweet-spot and where the true money resides. Why would they take such a narrow-minded action in purchasing MoneyGram when they are making so much more via contracts/licensing fees from each partner they sign as well as a sliver of each transaction that is processed via RippleNet. It just doesn't make sense when you think about it rationally. Again, unless they have some alternative plans for MoneyGram that doesn't involve competing with their current clientele purchasing MoneyGram is a moot point. Who knows, I could be completely wrong. Going off on a complete limb here, but there were discussions a while back about Ripple and xPool. Actually, @KarmaCoverage wrote a very good series about xPool and his views about what this liquidity service would look like. This is probably the only viable reason for Ripple to purchase MoneyGram that I can think of at the moment. Basically to re-tool and transform MoneyGram into this xPool liquidity service for XRP:Fiat. 

Edited by King34Maine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King34Maine said:

Yeah, but the key word is "competing companies!!" Ripple is a neutral counter-party in the equation. They are not in competition with their customers (i.e. banks, FIs, et al). They provide solutions that ENABLE their customers to better compete and gain leverage over their competitors. Again, that's the whole point of Ripple's business model. Being the ENABLER is the proverbial sweet-spot and where the true money resides. Why would they take such a narrow-minded action in purchasing MoneyGram when they could could make so much more via contracts/licensing fees from each partner they sign as well as a sliver of each transaction that is processed via RippleNet. It just doesn't make sense when you think about it rationally. Again, unless they have alternative plans for MoneyGram that doesn't involve competing with their current clientele purchasing MoneyGram is a moot point. Who knows, I could be completely wrong. Going off on a complete limb here, but there were discussions a while back about Ripple and xPool. Actually, @KarmaCoverage wrote a very good series about xPool and his views about what this liquidity service would look like. This is probably the only viable reason for Ripple to purchase MoneyGram that I can think of at the moment. Basically to re-tool and transform MoneyGram into this xPool liquidity service. 

I agree with what you're saying but the point I was trying to make is that competition doesn't mean exclusivity, in fact Ripple owning Moneygram could be the catalyst to more widespread adoption of their products by competitors to Moneygram just so they can keep up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Trickery said:

Big corporations buy competing companies all the time, take the car making industry as an example where a single entity owns several marquees that compete directly.

The Grand Marquis....now that was a car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contrary to most people here, I actually think a Facebook coin could be a competitor to XRP, although indirectly. As correctly noted, XRP is targeting institutions. However, if a Facebook token gains mass adoption, it could make the entire business model of institutions even being involved in remittances obsolete.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Trickery said:

Ripple owning Moneygram could be the catalyst to more widespread adoption

...it could be a catalyst or it could kill global adoption...

Are they prepared to take such a guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrenne said:

...it could be a catalyst or it could kill global adoption...

Are they prepared to take such a guess?

So GM make a new engine that gets 600hp and does 1000mpg and they say any car company can use it in their cars for a price but they say no fecken way we're gonna use it because GM owns Chevrolet???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trickery said:

So GM make a new engine that gets 600hp and does 1000mpg and they say any car company can use it in their cars for a price but they say no fecken way we're gonna use it because GM owns Chevrolet???

I don't see any similarities here, sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, King34Maine said:

Actually, @KarmaCoverage wrote a very good series about xPool and his views about what this liquidity service would look like

The key thing I was getting at, is that when you are building a network like RippleNet, it is usually good to monetize the routing function. 

Like Google's routing is the search function, Uber is the routing drivers, Fbook is routing ads, Amazon routes physical goods... western union is routing liquidity, the cost of liquidity is measured in interest rates... and since lending is done by using interest, and Ripple both has a bunch of XRP and wants to stimulate liquidity in RippleNet & XRPL they can give below market interest rate loans to market makers.

Thus "monetizing the routing function", I think if Ripple did this they will grow larger than Google.

XRapid as a service routes liquidity through XRPLedger.

Edited by KarmaCoverage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Montoya said:

Contrary to most people here, I actually think a Facebook coin could be a competitor to XRP, although indirectly. As correctly noted, XRP is targeting institutions. However, if a Facebook token gains mass adoption, it could make the entire business model of institutions even being involved in remittances obsolete.  

I agree in that I think remittances are in essence 'top-ups'. And topping up a kid's account overseas to pay their bills and buy food creates an obstacle to the traditional method of cross-border. FB accounts and FB coins, think of it like a family phone plan. Here's the deal though, is FB prepared to do a large shift within their social media enterprise to a KYC AML custodian? Will their current users be prepared to offer that information, formally, via documentation. If the FB base user does not then FB coin is nothing but a meme coin, a 'like' reward. Also, for FB coin to truly function at a high level within their walled garden that is such a big garden it could still challenge, then FB needs to have the merchant end squared away. If that kid overseas wants to use their latest FB coin top up to buy food online where is the purchase happening? Likely FB would create a marketplace akin to Amazon. This still requires a lot of merchant back end. This is why I think the Ripple MoneyGram rumor might make sense. If Ripple can get ahead of FB on this they'd have at least a year lead time in XRP use on a global scale. That is literally the primary factor this could succeed or fail in both cases. Next war front becomes gaming between XRP and FB coin (Oculus).

Edited by SevenBees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Troot said:

 

 

That is quite funny. I will create a thread called: "I keep seeing rumors about XRP and Avis rental cars, BUT...".

Then I will appear startled when people are challenging me and telling me there is no relationship.

That's not a very good comparison considering that my post expressed skepticism of a facebook / xrp partnership

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever fb intends to do it will take time to make it into a good product . I am also not sure how some countries would perceive a Facebook coin , afaik facebook is known for their privacy issues , especially in Europe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...