PacalVotan

David Schwartz is not a fan of Hodling

David Schwartz wrote on twitter:

(...)...and I despise people who tell other people to "HODL" as a sign of faith and consider rational de-risking a betrayal or something. Anyone telling you crap like just wants you to be a sucker who keeps the price up so they can sell."

With all due respect that David deserves and as much I understand that risking in crypto should be rational thinking, I think as CTO of Ripple coming with this now, it feels like a turn off.

His sentence includes and targets at least targeting 90% of people here on XRPchat that believe in HODL and XRP's future.

Thoughts on this?

"I despise people who tell other people to "HODL" as a sign of faith and consider rational de-risking a betrayal or something. "

HE IS SAYING: DO NOT LISTEN TO OTHERS. PERIOD. He is not saying you should or your should not hodl. What if he said: Yeah, hold it....and it goes down...again personal attacks. His position is smart and clear....but obviously not clear enough.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, PacalVotan said:

His sentence includes and targets at least targeting 90% of people here on XRPchat that believe in HODL and XRP's future.

If the shoe fits. And who really cares what others think. Do what serves you best. It's about money, not feelings. And last I checked there weren't loyalty points in xrp. 

Edited by Guest

"Anyone telling you crap like just wants you to be a sucker who keeps the price up so they can sell."

Amen

Posted (edited)

Not surprising considering he sold most of his XRP stash.

He's right though, telling others what to do with their own hard earned money (hodl, sell etc.) is always a bad idea.

Edited by iLeeT

58 minutes ago, PacalVotan said:

David Schwartz wrote on twitter:

(...)...and I despise people who tell other people to "HODL" as a sign of faith and consider rational de-risking a betrayal or something. Anyone telling you crap like just wants you to be a sucker who keeps the price up so they can sell."

With all due respect that David deserves and as much I understand that risking in crypto should be rational thinking, I think as CTO of Ripple coming with this now, it feels like a turn off.

Thoughts on this?

Thoughts on this?

You should take a reading comprehension class, that's the most important outcome of your text.

I've repeatedly advocated for XRP holders to de-risk by (a) keeping their position size reasonable in relation to their other assets and (b) holding other crypto assets that can serve as a hedge and help them make profits in the short run while we wait for XRP to achieve adoption.

So David's POV lines up with mine completely.

And I'm jealous that he has grandchildren.

The OP left out a critical part: "....as a sign of faith."  De-risking along the way is the most reasoned approach to any investment no matter how much you believe in it's potential for future success. There's just absolutely no way to be able to predict what the future might throw at even the best of technologies, be it regulatory, economic, social, or even the outbreak of a world war - we just can't accurately predict these things. I therefore see his remarks as a further illustration of his remarkable intelligence - this guy rocks!

Posted (edited)

Easy to say if you're not under water. I'm way up overall (sold in Jan 2018 originally) but my current bags are below my break even....this is a forced HODL.  I agree with the principle of taking profit, with the assumption you are IN profit to be able to take it :D

Edited by 2ndtimearound

Thanks for all replies, just wanted to know from your experience what was your take on this and get better informed on the meaning of David's tweet,.

To Ed1, considering english is not my native language, I don't mind you saying that but you should take courtesy and civility classes

When the price is right, I'll sell off and get the remainder of my initial buy in. After that, practically growing a money tree. If it makes me sleep easier at night knowing I haven't lost anything and actually got my money back and still have a considerable skin in the game, then why not?

1 hour ago, PacalVotan said:

You might be viewing this the wrong way. Imagine if the CTO didn't have the ability to identify risk and reward.