• Advertisement

a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

12 hours ago, borog997 said:

But I repeat, where is Gatehub's update to this? I still don't even know how they even got hacked, when I was using 2factor and a strong password. I wish they were more transparent.

https://gatehub.net/blog/gatehub-update-investigation-continues/ explained that user access tokens were stolen, and used to access the API. This bypasses 2FA. How the passwords were cracked is not so clear, but we know the hackers got the password hashes, so must assume that some very clever brute forcing was used for all the accounts that had strong passwords.

Although we don't know if the self-confessed hackers are telling the truth, it is true that their story lines up very well with what Gatehub has released publicly.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On June 1 we were made aware of a theft of 201,000 XRP (transaction F6E9E1385E11649A6C2F88723A821AF209B54030886539DCEF9DDD00E6446948) and immediately started investigation. It turned out that the acco

Reminder: There is no direct evidence pointing to Gatehub being responsible even though it may appear as the most likely scenario right now. Just be careful about jumping to conclusions What you c

Hey all! We are aware of the matter and are looking into it. If anyone has any information please contact us at: security@gatehub.net   GateHub

Posted Images

Oh look someone got into my wallet again. They tried to send a payment but i have no funds left in that wallet just 40X XRP to keep it open i guess

https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/transactions/3DB5521ED9B02A1E6B52CB97A8F415E533B3C6D816B67024CC139BBBA40800B0

https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/transactions/BC08B34A86D47415773F5A53406E7A6ADCEE1E6B83F0EB8F9A2F23B2F4DE4D19

So freaking annoying,.I d open a ticket w Lado again at Gatehub but whats the point they dint give a shit there customers are being robbed.

17 hours ago, treasurerepco25 said:

Oh look someone got into my wallet again. They tried to send a payment but i have no funds left in that wallet just 40X XRP to keep it open i guess

https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/transactions/3DB5521ED9B02A1E6B52CB97A8F415E533B3C6D816B67024CC139BBBA40800B0

https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/transactions/BC08B34A86D47415773F5A53406E7A6ADCEE1E6B83F0EB8F9A2F23B2F4DE4D19

So freaking annoying,.I d open a ticket w Lado again at Gatehub but whats the point they dint give a shit there customers are being robbed.

You can re-key the wallet if you like.  Probably would be best bet.  Remove the trust lines and withdraw the remaining 20xrp.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looks like to me Gatehub wins on this theft and we lose.  Wait long enough and the problem disappears under the rug. 
When I make an error in business I make it right because my name is the business title and its just the right thing to do.

Patience. I got some reliable info that 6 people are in a French jail and that the case will be handled in court soon (I hope within some weeks)
Also a good part of the stolen funds have been recovered, mainly as BTC.
I suppose GH still waiting to communicate until those legal proceedings will reveal a better and more complete picture of this theft.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Selective said:

Any update on this case?

Still in progress. The case might have seen some delay caused by Covid-19. Also there seem to be some discussions going if refunding claims should be calculate in the ($) value of XRP by the moment of the hack, what' a lot more than the value of today. OTOH, XRP isn't real money and stolen assets do not have to be repaid with money, rather by just giving back the asset I guess. Still leaves the possibility of claims to other losses and costs caused by the hack...

For my part, I would be very happy to just get my XRP back as I was planning to hold them for an extended time...

5 hours ago, kanaas said:

Also there seem to be some discussions going if refunding claims should be calculate in the ($) value of XRP by the moment of the hack, what' a lot more than the value of today.

Do you know what the source of the refund would be? Gatehub or Ripple or did they recover much from the thief?

Edited by at3n
Spelling
Do you know what the source of the refund would be? Gatehub or Ripple or did they recover much from the thief?

As far as I know refund will only come from recovering. When thats not sufficient (guess it will never be enough), Ive no idea who can/will do the rest... Guess its up to the legal system to decide/force responsibles to take from their means for complete refunding
12 hours ago, kanaas said:

As far as I know refund will only come from recovering. When thats not sufficient (guess it will never be enough), Ive no idea who can/will do the rest... Guess its up to the legal system to decide/force responsibles to take from their means for complete refunding

Although in no way obligated, but because of the backing by Chris Larsen and promoting GateHub back in the days as the place to go it could be smart if Ripple helped out GH in this by contributing the non retrieved XRP. It stops the discussion and is a small step for Ripple to take.

It however could also add to the 'why help GH and not other hacked exchanges' debate… I guess they will know best.

Left or right, can not see the numbers but this hack, and the way GH handled it over time, seems to have killed all the business for GateHub as volume is gone mostly. 

Although in no way obligated, but because of the backing by Chris Larsen and promoting GateHub back in the days as the place to go it could be smart if Ripple helped out GH in this by contributing the non retrieved XRP. It stops the discussion and is a small step for Ripple to take.
It however could also add to the 'why help GH and not other hacked exchanges' debate… I guess they will know best.
Left or right, can not see the numbers but this hack, and the way GH handled it over time, seems to have killed all the business for GateHub as volume is gone mostly. 

You're right, but first things first and that's legal proceedings to force the thiefs, not just to refund, but also to pay for possible psychological damage and costs related to the theft.
Its not because for me a simple XRP refund is enough that others may think different because they might have suffered more or might indeed have wanted to sell their XRP short after the theft at a higher price compared with the present.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk