yxxyun

a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

12 hours ago, cjeremys2 said:

Nonetheless it's already a lost cause since Gatehub will technically not take responsibility on this matter as clearly the victims like myself don't have proof that Gatehub's system has been compromised, hence no compensation/refund. 

This is horrible and I feel with all you guys. Why should GH not be responsible? I'd try to find peace of mind now, in the past GH was responsive and they covered hacks (into their own wallet). I received an email from them upon my inquire whether, as a response to these hacks, they plan additional security measures. This is also devastating for them. So they say wait until we respond again once we know what's going on.

Not much transparency so far, but this is early days. Don't forget, Ripple recommends GH, this exchange should not fail.

Yet, what's worrying is that first hacks were reported end of May, and like @kanaas here only two days ago! So GateHub doesn't seem to have a clue for now what's going on.

Edited by panmores

1 hour ago, JohnS0N said:

Hey guys, I joined just because of this. First I would like to express that I feel for all of you who lost their XRPs. 

Second, I logged into my account and my XRPs are still there. Since GH was recommended by ripple and because we actually get our keys I thought it would be better having my Zerps with them than on a nano (could get physically stolen, burned in a fire, etc.)... however it seems I was completely wrong.

I've now ordered a Nano S, but it will take a few days to arrive. Can someone please suggest the safest step to secure the XRP? Should I move them from GH to an exchange for the moment until the ledger arrives? What is the best thing to do at the moment?

If you don't have access to another exchange or storage method, sure change the password, and make it a long one. I'd also create a new account / address and move the funds there.

1 minute ago, panmores said:

If you don't have access to another exchange or storage method, sure change the password, and make it a long one. I'd also create a new account / address and move the funds there.

Good one! I would do it in this order: change password first, and then create a new account and move your funds there. The other way around would still encrypt your secret with your old password...

11 hours ago, hillsey_london said:

Dear Mr XXXX,

We must inform you that due to irreversibility of the XRP Ledger transactions, we unfortunately can't refund your losses.

That's just plain insulting, without even knowing yet what's going on. No way for them to escape responsibility, this coordinated attack must origin somehow from within GH.

4 hours ago, EcneitapLatnem said:

You want to report this to your local law enforcement ASAP... that way there is a record of this and that is what gatehub has requested of people who have been hacked... people who do not report with their local police and wish to be taken seriously when attempting to recoup their funds will without a doubt need a police report... 

Look at it this way... it won't hurt... it could only help.. 

I never had to make a report to law enforcement before.  How would one approach this?  Do we just walk into the police station and tell them we got our crypto stolen?  I would imagine the confusion and the police not taking us seriously. 

That's just plain insulting, without even knowing yet what's going on. No way for them to escape responsibility, this coordinated attack must origin somehow from within GH.

Agree. Their legal team couldn’t have reviewed that surely? Could end up being embarrassing for them.

Yes my thoughts exactly. My friend is gutted as many here are. He's sent Enej Pungercar an email this morning stating what efforts he's gone to for the protection of his XRP wallet to now suspect the theft was done from GH passing secret keys out.

GateHub's explanation after the last hack in 2017:

No funds were stolen from the user wallets. Gatehub discovered that a criminal had exploited a flaw in an auxiliary deposit processing service all transactions were honoured in full. True there are claims that funds went missing but that was from personal account hacking.

14 hours ago, kanaas said:

One victim here as well. 799K stolen from my wallet raXpsscPp99gDrsm6qzTy9c6wQitr6q1h. No need to feel sorry as last year I could sell 1.6M XRP for about $1 average, so I'm still fine with even a very good amount of XRP left, now in a safer place as well (thanks @gatehub for warning)

I doubt it was hacked by 2FA bypassing as for several months didn't have any login to Gatehub myself and there is no sign of a suspicious attempt to my Gatehub wallet login and I use Google Auth (not SMS). And even if it was that way they DID left more than half of my funds untouched, so I think it didn't went that way. 

Truly hope it wasn't brute forcing secrets.... THAT would be scary....

Thanks @kanaas for this post; don't know why, but this was the eye opener I needed...Having my funds on GH (or Rippletrade) for over 5 yrs, I finally moved all my funds...No need to check daily anymore to verify if all funds are still there...Namaste

6 minutes ago, Personology said:

I never had to make a report to law enforcement before.  How would one approach this?  Do we just walk into the police station and tell them we got our crypto stolen?  I would imagine the confusion and the police not taking us seriously. 

Yes. Trust me, they will take it seriously.

10 minutes ago, Personology said:

Yes, you could walk in if you are comfortable with that. I am also confident you could make a phone call.   Whatever means necessary to report the theft that you experienced to the proper authorities..... why is this so hard to understand?  Sorry, not to take away from anything, but if somebody takes from you... there are ways to report this.... does this make sense?!

17 minutes ago, Personology said:

If you're in the UK, you could try:

https://nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/what-we-do/crime-threats/fraud-and-economic-crime

and

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting-fraud-and-cyber-crime

Not sure how much they can do about it, but at least they might be more interested in what you have to say than down at the local nick...