a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

yxxyun

5 hours ago, jargoman said:

The fact that the attackers used the API to get access to the database but did not access the phone numbers could be a clue. Maybe the attacker already had the phone numbers. 

I still am not satisfied with Gatehubs response. Was there a security flaw in gatehubs system? Was it patched? Is it safe to recommend new users use gatehub?

I've sold my gatehub iou's because I can't guarantee Gatehubs solvency. 

I've had a gatehub account hacked in the past. I thought my ripple trade migration password was brute-forced from a bitcointalk database leak but I'm not sure. It's not like me to use the same password for multiple sites if there is money involved. 

The password that was bruteforced was alwayswinning! 

I know it's a weak password.

It's possible that I was hacked the same way these 81+ users were. 

why would u still use their service if ur account was hacked and funds lost?

The writing is on the wall. Enej Pungerčar CEO of GateHub (who can not be more then 30 years old) along with Chris Larsen, Brad Garlinghouse and a team of expensive lawyers decided they are not at fault for millions of dollars in XRP stolen from roughly hundred accounts at Gatehub.

These three along with others played the roles of judge, jury and executioners and felt that instead of paying back their customers and doing the right thing by admitting they were wrong, they would blame their customers and hide behind lawyers in fancy suits. They will let it all play out in the courts where they know they have the advantage with money, lawyers and complete control.

This crime is something LLoyd, Jamie or even John Corzine would be proud of. Brad and Chris better be careful with their quest for regulations because if there were any rule of law  enforcement Gatehub would have been shutdown and they would be in jail for this disgusting decision.

My guess is that this will be all forgotten in a few years but my hope is that these people get everything they deserve in some sort of way.

Maybe, Jed McCaleb wasn't the rapacious, amoral and deviant person he was painted out to be, maybe it was Brad, Enej and Chris Larsen that we all should be concerned about.

Edited by karlos
merged

2 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

A source for what?

Opinion is based on the announcements by Gatehub blaming users for not having proper security.

Am I over reacting???

Opinions are fine, but the way you're presenting it is as if you know it to be true as a fact (at least it's easy to interpret it that way). Just be careful about misleading people who may be hanging a lot of hope on the lack of a definitive announcement as of yet. Don't want to unintentionally push someone over the edge.

For all we know there could be some agreeable resolution yet, as unlikely as it might seem.

My apologies if anyone was mislead by my post as a final decision. There has been no final decision.

There is honor in the XRP community and although I do not post much I enjoy reading many of the post on this chatboard. The Gatehub debacle and the few announcements that have been sent out has my blood boiling and I fear they are just protecting themselves for a final outcome.

I hope I am wrong.

Good luck to all.

2 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

My apologies if anyone was mislead by my post as a final decision. There has been no final decision.

There is honor in the XRP community and although I do not post much I enjoy reading many of the post on this chatboard. The Gatehub debacle and the few announcements that have been sent out has my blood boiling and I fear they are just protecting themselves for a final outcome.

I hope I am wrong.

Good luck to all.

the last announcement the decision is more or less final, no compensation and the recovery maybe at most get back 5%? The question is how were the access tokens get exposed they're not telling and victims deserved to know.

12 hours ago, at3n said:

Opinions are fine, but the way you're presenting it is as if you know it to be true as a fact (at least it's easy to interpret it that way). Just be careful about misleading people who may be hanging a lot of hope on the lack of a definitive announcement as of yet. Don't want to unintentionally push someone over the edge.

For all we know there could be some agreeable resolution yet, as unlikely as it might seem.

Are you one of the victims?

1 hour ago, Geekluca said:

Are you one of the victims?

No, and I appreciate that that gives me a different viewpoint to those who are suffering.

But it allows me to be logical, which I feel is an important viewpoint to put across to balance the (understandably) highly emotionally-charged posts that are frequent in this thread.

22 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

My guess is that this will be all forgotten in a few years but my hope is that these people get everything they deserve in some sort of way.

My friend, this never needed to be forgotten because it was never an issue. This thread exists in a vacuum. Nobody outside knows or cares. Investors are patting Gatehub on the back for many years of good work for job well done. Possibly giving more money to further the successes.

23 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

Maybe, Jed McCaleb wasn't the rapacious, amoral and deviant person he was painted out to be

Not many asked to hear the other side. This is where a one sided loyalty to Ripple leads. 

22 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

Opinion is based on the announcements by Gatehub blaming users for not having proper security.

Am I over reacting???

I react as you do. I have opinions. 

To put it another way, you have to know this. Gatehub is part of Ripple's community. The people in this thread are not. Gatehub didn't lose Gatehub money so it is a success for Ripple. Ripple will invest more money in its community, Gatehub. The end users in this thread and on social media are not Ripple community. 

I don't why people don't see this. Did anybody notice that Ripple sold you out to FinCEN before closing RippleTrade? Before anybody knew that RippleTrade was going to be closing, it demanded KYC documents. Once FinCEN had them all, RippleTrade announce closure. 

On 7/30/2019 at 9:12 PM, RJK said:

To put it another way, you have to know this. Gatehub is part of Ripple's community. The people in this thread are not. Gatehub didn't lose Gatehub money so it is a success for Ripple. Ripple will invest more money in its community, Gatehub. The end users in this thread and on social media are not Ripple community. 

I don't why people don't see this. Did anybody notice that Ripple sold you out to FinCEN before closing RippleTrade? Before anybody knew that RippleTrade was going to be closing, it demanded KYC documents. Once FinCEN had them all, RippleTrade announce closure. 

Well people don't see your point, because In my opinion It's not valid.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:10 PM, at3n said:

No, and I appreciate that that gives me a different viewpoint to those who are suffering.

But it allows me to be logical, which I feel is an important viewpoint to put across to balance the (understandably) highly emotionally-charged posts that are frequent in this thread.

I am not quite sure what you mean with it. Gatehub is clearly at fault, no matter the reason (inside job, hacking, database leak) and they are trying not to pay, hoping that customers will forget or won’t bother. 

If they wanted to pay they would have done it already. 

If they had plans to pay, they would have at least kept everyone aware of what really happened (while they released basically... nothing). 

So... I really don’t see the logic in your point. Sorry about that. 

6 hours ago, Geekluca said:

I am not quite sure what you mean with it. Gatehub is clearly at fault, no matter the reason (inside job, hacking, database leak) and they are trying not to pay, hoping that customers will forget or won’t bother. 

I agree that in all likelihood, Gatehub is at fault (fault of negligence). If they weren't at fault, I think they would have put forward a reason. I don't necessarily agree that they are trying to avoid paying, I just think that they're drawing the situation out for some reason which hasn't been directly disclosed to us. It's a possibility that they're trying to sweep it under the rug, but to state or imply that it's 100% true without any hard facts backing it up is misleading, IMO.

If they wanted to pay they would have done it already. 

I don't agree that if they wanted to pay, they would. It's really not a simple situation. For example, they may not have enough to pay. If they use up all of their assets paying, then that will put their employees out of work, cause financial damage to their shareholders (who I presume they have some contractual obligation to?), which might open them up to further legal action, not to mention the individuals within the company who would be negatively affected. Yes, there's arguments that the victims of the hack deserve the money more, but my point is it's not a straightforward call to make, especially for us, who have zero insider information.

If they had plans to pay, they would have at least kept everyone aware of what really happened (while they released basically... nothing). 

I'm also disappointed at the continued lack of explanation from them. But I'm assuming, for now, that they still haven't worked out what to do? If they're working through legal systems and law enforcement, then they obviously have to be very careful about what they're saying. There may be many side issues arising from the fact that the XRP was not stolen from Gatehub, but from the individual owners.

This is not the same as an exchange hack, as you know. What sort of legal and tax situations may need to be overcome considering the complexities? I don't know, but I bet it's not simple. Essentially it would be a private company gifting millions of dollars to individuals, after a third party (hackers) having directly stole it from the individuals. To us it makes sense, given the circumstances, but when it would need to comply with legal and tax systems across probably dozens of countries... I'm ok with giving them more time to work it out.

And as already mentioned, the XRP that was actually recovered by exchanges, how on earth will they work out who's entitled to it anyway? I would think that Gatehub don't even have a say in that.

So... I really don’t see the logic in your point. Sorry about that. 

My logic is that we don't have enough information to state that Gatehub will never pay out. And I hope that the above will help explain my thought process to you. It is, of course, my opinion only.

Edited by at3n
Spelling