Jump to content

a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, at3n said:

Very sorry to hear that, that's very scary when you think about it. The only advice I can give is to go through every online account that you own and recreate the credentials and 2-factor authentication, after checking to make sure that another email address or phone number hasn't been added that the attackers could use to get back in. It may be worth getting an entirely new email address or even phone number to separate yourself from the attackers.

Please report this to your local authorities, and if you're happy to, perhaps share some details with the xrpforensics team (@Silkjaer) in case this ends up being the same attacker.

Do you have any idea how the attackers got to know any of your details to begin with? Did one of your accounts have a weak password, or was involved in another hack?

Gatehub system is not secure. with strong password + 2fa the hacker just gained the keys from access tokens which gatehub does not explain how. Just get away from them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On June 1 we were made aware of a theft of 201,000 XRP (transaction F6E9E1385E11649A6C2F88723A821AF209B54030886539DCEF9DDD00E6446948) and immediately started investigation. It turned out that the acco

Reminder: There is no direct evidence pointing to Gatehub being responsible even though it may appear as the most likely scenario right now. Just be careful about jumping to conclusions What you c

Hey all! We are aware of the matter and are looking into it. If anyone has any information please contact us at: security@gatehub.net   GateHub

Posted Images

So, this post is cooling down. Exactly like @gatehub was hoping. 

I think we should seriously start to prepare a class action against them. I am still on holidays but I will be back next week and ready to start working on it . 

This story cannot end with two winners (hackers and gatehub) and all of us losing money. 

Edited by Geekluca
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you are right Geekluca we need to all get on a class action lawsuit against Gatehub, and ripple should also be pressed for telling us to migrate to them. Ripple should have never been associated with such a messed up company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geekluca said:

This story cannot end with two winners (hackers and gatehub) and all of us losing money. 

Oh come on... without meaning to downplay the suffering of the victims; how on earth do you think Gatehub is a winner in this??

By all means pursue legal action as you see fit, but stick to the facts please. Sensationalizing the situation does not help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i strongly suggest for everyone that had account on gatehub to call you phone company and forbid them from allowing anyone to port your number without physically walking into location with photo ID and requesting it. My phone was ported couple weeks ago and yesterday my friend got his phone number ported. We both had accounts on gatehub. I'm not sure if this is coincidence but understand the risk of loosing your phone number anytime if you don't call your carrier and ask them to block your line from porting over. It takes 8+ days to get your number back depending how quick your local police and turn over police report. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, at3n said:

Oh come on... without meaning to downplay the suffering of the victims; how on earth do you think Gatehub is a winner in this??

By all means pursue legal action as you see fit, but stick to the facts please. Sensationalizing the situation does not help.

Where are the losses for Gatehub at this specific stage?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On july 15th I received an email from gatehub telling me that:

Our Security Team found no evidence of unauthorized access to your individual account.

How can they say this? They know that a transfer was made from my account on may 25th and on my access log shows that I did not logged into GateHub any day of May... It's ridicolous. 

Then the hacker sent the XRP ro hitBTC without destination tag, so my XRP are there in a wallet because no destination tag means no client wallet has my XRP (hitbtc company wallet does) and no one is returning them to me... It's crazy.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, raulnavarro said:

On july 15th I received an email from gatehub telling me that:

Our Security Team found no evidence of unauthorized access to your individual account.

How can they say this? They know that a transfer was made from my account on may 25th and on my access log shows that I did not logged into GateHub any day of May... It's ridicolous. 

Then the hacker sent the XRP ro hitBTC without destination tag, so my XRP are there in a wallet because no destination tag means no client wallet has my XRP (hitbtc company wallet does) and no one is returning them to me... It's crazy.... 

 

The same thing happened to me, although they knew my attack was literally just compromised by the attacker.  I've been sick to my stomach for two weeks over this.  We need to get the ball rolling on the class action at the least. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2019 at 1:14 AM, getitdone said:

i strongly suggest for everyone that had account on gatehub to call you phone company and forbid them from allowing anyone to port your number without physically walking into location with photo ID and requesting it. My phone was ported couple weeks ago and yesterday my friend got his phone number ported. We both had accounts on gatehub. I'm not sure if this is coincidence but understand the risk of loosing your phone number anytime if you don't call your carrier and ask them to block your line from porting over. It takes 8+ days to get your number back depending how quick your local police and turn over police report. 

'simjacking' is definitely a phenomenon on the rise. Happens a lot in clubs in coordination with a girl who is working as an accomplice and flirtatiously gets your phone number seeing you have an iphone, then later you discover your number has been added to another person's account and suddenly you are locked out of all your 2FA and email.

https://www.wired.com/story/sim-swap-attack-defend-phone/

https://hackernoon.com/sim-jacking-attacks-are-on-the-rise-for-crypto-holders-829899dab2f8

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jag216 said:

'simjacking' is definitely a phenomenon on the rise. Happens a lot in clubs in coordination with a girl who is working as an accomplice and flirtatiously gets your phone number seeing you have an iphone, then later you discover your number has been added to another person's account and suddenly you are locked out of all your 2FA and email.

https://www.wired.com/story/sim-swap-attack-defend-phone/

https://hackernoon.com/sim-jacking-attacks-are-on-the-rise-for-crypto-holders-829899dab2f8


The fact that the attackers used the API to get access to the database but did not access the phone numbers could be a clue. Maybe the attacker already had the phone numbers. 

I still am not satisfied with Gatehubs response. Was there a security flaw in gatehubs system? Was it patched? Is it safe to recommend new users use gatehub?

I've sold my gatehub iou's because I can't guarantee Gatehubs solvency. 

I've had a gatehub account hacked in the past. I thought my ripple trade migration password was brute-forced from a bitcointalk database leak but I'm not sure. It's not like me to use the same password for multiple sites if there is money involved. 

The password that was bruteforced was alwayswinning! 

I know it's a weak password.

It's possible that I was hacked the same way these 81+ users were. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.