yxxyun

a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

I think the reports of "cashed out" were just based on whether the XRP had been sent to an exchange. It's not possible to know, unless the exchanges tell us, whether the XRP had actually been exchanged to anything else and withdrawn by the hackers.

Edited by at3n
sp

55 minutes ago, at3n said:

I think the reports of "cashed out" we're just based on whether the XRP had been sent to an exchange. It's not possible to know, unless the exchanges tell us, whether the XRP had actually been exchanged to anything else and withdrawn by the hackers.

I was also hoping for some clarity too.  As for cashed out do they mean XRP converted to another currency or converted to flat.   Are they attempting to freeze those wallets as well?

We deserve transparency as to the amount of funds frozen from the exchanges.  

That depends a lot on the hashing/encryption method. Which they didn't disclose.

Maybe it is in a report/postmortem of that forensic investigation? Doesn't look like it will be published though, so probably this case is closed now. Good luck with getting money via a lawyer in the US from a UK based LLC that actually is run from Slovenia... but hey, closed source web wallets, what could possibly go wrong, amirite?

On 7/20/2019 at 2:45 AM, James21 said:

Here it is again how many want to call to start this? 

Class Action Law Suit

Here is the information and the first number is the direct contact.

sharova@sharovalaw.com   phone: 718-766-9401

phone: 212-321-0741

fax: 212-939-6211

745 Fifth Avenue, Suite 500

10151 New York City

147 Prince Street, 4th Floor

11201 Brooklyn New York City

sharova@sharovalaw.com 

Might be a good idea to start a class action.
Any reason why you proposed Sharovalaw? 

Here it is again how many want to call to start this? 
Class Action Law Suit
Here is the information and the first number is the direct contact.
sharova@sharovalaw.com   phone: 718-766-9401
phone: 212-321-0741
fax: 212-939-6211
745 Fifth Avenue, Suite 500
10151 New York City
147 Prince Street, 4th Floor
11201 Brooklyn New York City
sharova@sharovalaw.com 

I’ll contact them

Would it make any difference to start a class action with a lawyer based in Europe/UK instead of US? (I don't have any suggestion. Just wondering)

Was wondering this as well

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tekkillah said:

Would it make any difference to start a class action with a lawyer based in Europe/UK instead of US? (I don't have any suggestion. Just wondering)

Yes, I would definitely try and get the advice of lawyers in the UK/EU. I think they are termed Barristers, Solicitors.  Different laws may apply to UK residents.  You could do a search for those that are fluent and experienced in cryptocurrency law, class action.   At least they could start you in the right direction and you can usually do a online/phone call and  evaluate your case.  

This particular law firm has said that they would contact attorneys in England as well as get a professional crypto company to help with lawsuit. But the more information we can get from different places would be good.

What i don't understand is what we know. We know for fact 500,000 xrp was recaptured by changenow. Why wouldn't gatehub request that 500,000 xrp and gave back 2% back to all victims per xrp stolen? This would show at least they care about people that lost their coins. I don't understand why wouldn't that be announced in recent update and action already taken @gatehub ?

Gatehub's statement said" we kindly ask our customers to remain patient" but the title of the post said "Final Statement" which is weird.

Waiting for their actual response and reimbursement activity is probably best before legal action. BUT, I think we should all find out what the Statute of Limitations (SOL) are in our respected countries. A quick google search has this for me in my location in the USA:

"Most California misdemeanors have a statute of limitations of one year.

But, under California Penal Code 801 PC, felonies have a SOL of three years.

Some examples of common California theft crimes are:

petty theft,

grand theft, and

burglary.

One of the main reasons the law puts limits on when a criminal case gets filed is to preserve a sense of fairness for the defendant."

1 hour ago, getitdone said:

Why wouldn't gatehub request that 500,000 xrp and gave back 2% back to all victims per xrp stolen?

That would put them on very shaky ground. Gatehub doesn't own the XRP, it was stolen directly from individual wallet owners. I would be pretty angry if my XRP was stolen, recovered and then distributed to other people without me giving my consent. Even if some people would be happy for that to happen, I don't think Gatehub can make that decision on their behalf.

It may be impossible to work out exactly who owns what, but worst case, only people who's XRP was sent to ChangeNow should receive XRP back from that pot, IMO.

Maybe by combining xrpforensics data and the exchange logs, they can even work out exactly who's XRP was not exchanged?

Minefield

Hello - I was wiped of six figures of XRP on July 15th from GATEHUB.   Gatehub Support has not been helpful.   I was the victim of a SIM SWAP.  They somehow also added a device to my AUTHY account.  This is very scary stuff. If anyone has tips/advice please let me know.