Jump to content
yxxyun

a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, jlripple said:

Considering these guys are backed by Chris Larsen it's really a joke how they responded to this hack. 

One thing I mentioned on my tweet is the fact that @enej has the audacity to comment on the article yet he couldn't even release a proper statement to the affected customer base.

Now he wants us to wait patiently? until this is buried lol. 

Edited by cjeremys2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cjeremys2 said:

This statement really doesn't sound so promising. I knew it from Day 1 they released the preliminary that they won't do anything to reimburse the all the funds that we lost since they don't have the financial capability like other exchanges.

Nonetheless, they are still liable and responsible in terms of protecting our funds since it's their "API security" that got breached and not our online accounts.

As suggested here many times we should really band up and delegate a lawyer since we are talking $10M cumulative stolen. It is also not clear if our KYC documents are safe.

yes, yes, yes. get together, get a lawyer and sue. why haven't you done so already?????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding of responsibility to the customers is Bitrue is insured and Gatehub is not. If, and only if if this is true then why did Ripple suggest Gatehub. I may be wrong on this. Please what does your research come up with?

I'm not expert on this but how can you start sueing without knowing the outcome.

My future plans and retirement where stripped.I was one of the first purchasers of xrp 4 to 5 years ago. I believed in them then as I do now. They where like family to me as I watched them evolve. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Birt Ernie said:

My understanding of responsibility to the customers is Bitrue is insured and Gatehub is not. If, and only if if this is true then why did Ripple suggest Gatehub. I may be wrong on this. Please what does your research come up with?

I'm not expert on this but how can you start sueing without knowing the outcome.

My future plans and retirement where stripped.I was one of the first purchasers of xrp 4 to 5 years ago. I believed in them then as I do now. They where like family to me as I watched them evolve. 

 

If Gatehub isn't ensured its their bad luck. They are responsible for the loss nevertheless, because they were to blame for leaking the keys.

Any coatcheck that has a sign "we are not responsible for you loss" is lying. They are. And so is Gatehub, it can be proven it was their fault, not the fault of their users. They took custody of keys and blew it. They need to pay up or go bankrupt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dik said:

Any coatcheck that has a sign "we are not responsible for you loss" is lying. They are. And so is Gatehub, it can be proven it was their fault, not the fault of their users. They took custody of keys and blew it. They need to pay up or go bankrupt.

If your car keys are stolen from a coatcheck, do you think they are responsible for replacing your stolen car? Nope. They aren't. And because Gatehub didn't hold user funds in custody they will not be liable here. BitTrue jumped to remedy the situation because the law wasn't on their side. The same is not true for Gatehub. Nobody from Gatehub or Ripple cares AT ALL about anybody in this thread who has been stolen from. Ya'll have been patiently waiting like something is going to happen. Nothing has happened because nothing is going to happen. Nobody is coming to rescue you. Nobody is meeting behind closed doors trying to figure this out. There is nothing to figure out. Only the passive people in this thread are affected and nobody else cares. Is this clear yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RJK said:

If your car keys are stolen from a coatcheck, do you think they are responsible for replacing your stolen car? Nope. They aren't. And because Gatehub didn't hold user funds in custody they will not be liable here. BitTrue jumped to remedy the situation because the law wasn't on their side. The same is not true for Gatehub. Nobody from Gatehub or Ripple cares AT ALL about anybody in this thread who has been stolen from. Ya'll have been patiently waiting like something is going to happen. Nothing has happened because nothing is going to happen. Nobody is coming to rescue you. Nobody is meeting behind closed doors trying to figure this out. There is nothing to figure out. Only the passive people in this thread are affected and nobody else cares. Is this clear yet? 

I am really worried you are right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just where is this supposed sign hanging that reads not responsible for loss ? Is it in the fine print? Or is this just an act of God? If I let someone store my car and they don't return it then I'm not suppose to give a damn? I have a business where I'm responsible for their property till repaired and returned to the rightful owner. If it's lost or stolen then I'm not going to give a damn. I think not. My reputation is on the line. Bad news travels fast. Twenty five years in business and still till this day I have NEW customers tell me I trust in you because of word of mouth. That's advertising money cannot not buy! Everybody should own a business just once to experience the real world of trust and honesty. That's called success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RJK It really hurts to read your words because you sound right... :(
I hope everybody's going to get a refund but I feel like it won't happen.

No matter how this ends up : thank you  @Silkjaer and whoever is working with you.
Your precious help is very much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RJK said:

And because Gatehub didn't hold user funds in custody they will not be liable here.

Are you a lawyer specialized in EU or UK law? Or just expressing some personal thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One approach will be to see how XRP is returned (get that first then hit them for more via legal avenues) and their explanation then seek specialist legal advice on whether the case a) can succeed b) company has assets enough to make it worthwhile. 

There are laws within EU and member countries ((UK) and Slovenia 🇸🇮 with regards holding companies responsible for negligence involving data and subsequent financial harm. It will take time and likely involve paying up to 25% of any compensation to law firm involved and willing to take it on plus insurance to cover opposing sides costs if unsuccessful. Keep emailing gatehub with polite requests for further information but do not,as much as it hurts, use emotional language or abuse in any correspondence. Let’s not be unrealistic about getting full compensation but there are avenues to realistically explore once we have final statement. Going off half-cocked and not co-ordinated will be recipe for failure. This will not be resolved quickly. 

(UK) incorporates the below EU law :

 

 

Art. 82 GDPR Right to compensation and liability

Any person who has suffered material or non-material damage as a result of an infringement of this Regulation shall have the right to receive compensation from the controller or processor for the damage suffered.

1Any controller involved in processing shall be liable for the damage caused by processing which infringes this Regulation. 2A processor shall be liable for the damage caused by processing only where it has not complied with obligations of this Regulation specifically directed to processors or where it has acted outside or contrary to lawful instructions of the controller.

A controller or processor shall be exempt from liability under paragraph 2 if it proves that it is not in any way responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.

Where more than one controller or processor, or both a controller and a processor, are involved in the same processing and where they are, under paragraphs 2 and 3, responsible for any damage caused by processing, each controller or processor shall be held liable for the entire damage in order to ensure effective compensation of the data subject.

Where a controller or processor has, in accordance with paragraph 4, paid full compensation for the damage suffered, that controller or processor shall be entitled to claim back from the other controllers or processors involved in the same processing that part of the compensation corresponding to their part of responsibility for the damage, in accordance with the conditions set out in paragraph 2.

Court proceedings for exercising the right to receive compensation shall be brought before the courts competent under the law of the Member State referred to in Article 79(2).

All pretty complicated hence why a lawyer specialising in this area required . 

There are no guidelines about how much compensation you can be awarded for a claim under the Data Protection Act. In most cases, the minimum level of damages to be sought at settlement stage would be between £750 to £1,000.

Edited by Harrryquartz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They probably don't "care AT ALL" but I hope the community does in regard to their future plans... 

Yet, I have been patient all these years so why not now. They are doing a terrible work in terms of communication with the victims  but I truly hope (believe) they are doing their best to fix this situation. Just put emotions aside and wait for the bloody official statement...

Best,

P

image.png

Edited by Peponut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...