a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

14 hours ago, Geekluca said:

You guys are doing an amazing job and, in addition, you are doing the job that gatehub should have been doing. 

Thanks for this. 

Patting themselves on the back for retaining 500,000 of the 23 million XRP that was stolen, and NOT A WORD about commitment to return the money to their clients. Many people have lost their life savings!

In the future they hope to stop 90% of stolen funds if the situation repeats???

Here's what I read: "because of our stupidity our clients are screwed out of 98% of their life savings. But because we're so smart, new clients that will trust us with their money will only be screwed out of 5% . We hope.".

An exchange that deals with hacks this way does not even deserve a future, IMO.

Edited by lucky
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On June 1 we were made aware of a theft of 201,000 XRP (transaction F6E9E1385E11649A6C2F88723A821AF209B54030886539DCEF9DDD00E6446948) and immediately started investigation. It turned out that the acco

Hey all! We are aware of the matter and are looking into it. If anyone has any information please contact us at: security@gatehub.net   GateHub

Reminder: There is no direct evidence pointing to Gatehub being responsible even though it may appear as the most likely scenario right now. Just be careful about jumping to conclusions What you c

Posted Images

We have been notified that member of the XRP Chat community have been receiving phishing private messages from someone pretending to be Gatehub support and/or other members claiming they used their Repayment Program. In the GateHub support private message there is an attached document. DO NOT click on the document as it might be malicious. 

In case you have received such a message, please report it by using the report button.

Edited by gatehub
Just now, gatehub said:

We have been notified that member of the XRP Chat community have been receiving phishing private messages from someone pretending to be Gatehub support and/or other members claiming they used their Repayment Program. In the GateHub support private message there is an attached document. DO NOT click on the document as it might be malicious. 

In case you have received such a message, please report it by using the report button.

Why don't you talk about efforts (or absence of efforts) to compensate your clients? Have you talked with your investor Chris Larsen about this matter, who according your own site is backing you?

1 hour ago, lucky said:

Why don't you talk about efforts (or absence of efforts) to compensate your clients? Have you talked with your investor Chris Larsen about this matter, who according your own site is backing you?

That is one thing that @gatehub has been avoiding this past few weeks. 

No further statement to the victims for any reimburse/compensation apart from we are still “investigating”.

I’m not really verse with laws etc. but surely we deserve some further statement for people that genuinely got their XRP stolen cause of their security breach.

2 hours ago, cjeremys2 said:

That is one thing that @gatehub has been avoiding this past few weeks. 

No further statement to the victims for any reimburse/compensation apart from we are still “investigating”.

I’m not really verse with laws etc. but surely we deserve some further statement for people that genuinely got their XRP stolen cause of their security breach.

We can just wait. The hack is out in the open. I Google gatehub all I see is hacking news. Gatehub owe the XRP community and victims an answer to what really happened and what are they going to do next. Ripple recommended them to us I believe they also deserve to know. 

reading gatehub's announcement I think they are super carefull still and do not want to promise anything which is probably the reaction you would expect at this point in time.

again, I hope they can refund anyone who was hurt by this.

Edited by gkatz

What is concerning to me is that I have NOT yet received any email notifying me of the initial hack to my Gatehub account or the phishing attempt.  I do however receive all of the emails from Gatehub to confirm new device and follow up from support.  Many Gatehub account holders may not even access the emails they use to for their Gatehub account on a regular basis.  Why has Gatehub not placed a banner on Gatehub website warning of the hack and phishing as Karlos did for XRP Chat.  I hate this.

Edited by Jillian
7 hours ago, lucky said:

Patting themselves on the back for retaining 500,000 of the 23 million XRP that was stolen, and NOT A WORD about commitment to return the money to their clients. Many people have lost their life savings!

In the future they hope to stop 90% of stolen funds if the situation repeats???

Here's what I read: "because of our stupidity our clients are screwed out of 98% of their life savings. But because we're so smart, new clients that will trust us with their money will only be screwed out of 5% . We hope.".

An exchange that deals with hacks this way does not even deserve a future, IMO.

You are shooting at the wrong company, @lucky

It was not GateHub retaining 500,000 XRP, that was the exchange ChangeNOW. They have been very cooperative and blacklisted destination tags / blocked funds from the flagged accounts. This way, they have managed to freeze 500,000 XRP and secure them in their cold storage in order to return them to GateHub if necessary documents from the authorities are there. They are now working on following the traces of the rest of the 2.5m XRP that has been laundered through their exchange.

We do not have news with respect to recovery of XRP from the other exchanges such as Binance, Changelly, Kucoin and Huobi, do we?

And I have noticed there has been no activity in the hackers' accounts for a week now. Maybe because they don't have possibilities for laundering any more, as exchanges have blacklisted them. They still have 10m XRP sitting in their accounts.

13 minutes ago, mrenne said:

You are shooting at the wrong company, @lucky

It was not GateHub retaining 500,000 XRP, that was the exchange ChangeNOW. They have been very cooperative and blacklisted destination tags / blocked funds from the flagged accounts. This way, they have managed to freeze 500,000 XRP and secure them in their cold storage in order to return them to GateHub if necessary documents from the authorities are there. They are now working on following the traces of the rest of the 2.5m XRP that has been laundered through their exchange.

We do not have news with respect to recovery of XRP from the other exchanges such as Binance, Changelly, Kucoin and Huobi, do we?

And I have noticed there has been no activity in the hackers' accounts for a week now. Maybe because they don't have possibilities for laundering any more, as exchanges have blacklisted them. They still have 10m XRP sitting in their accounts.

Comment on last paragraph: Lastest victim is from yesterday, latest cashout was today. Perpetrator is using more than 30 accounts.

We prepared a chart of the thefts:

1 minute ago, Silkjaer said:

Comment on last paragraph: Lastest victim is from yesterday, latest cashout was today. Perpetrator is using more than 30 accounts.

We prepared a chart of the thefts:

Thanks for the update! I only checked the 12 accounts you had in the Medium article, of which 4 have a significant balance. I see the difference between the blue and red lines is still about 10m XRP, so we can conclude the largest part of unlaundered is still in those 4 accounts. Let's hope the criminals can be seized before they manage to move out that amount as well.

I am talking about following wallets:

rJpKe5rbjgzzGJc1wm1xqKj6j4UjBQ6s48
rGSWKo2oiJnJiPEoHvDZTK2XG7RtE62Cbh
r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k
rMcqiWXMJEAEMXaFFgnjeuASwAMmef8B8c