a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On June 1 we were made aware of a theft of 201,000 XRP (transaction F6E9E1385E11649A6C2F88723A821AF209B54030886539DCEF9DDD00E6446948) and immediately started investigation. It turned out that the acco

Hey all! We are aware of the matter and are looking into it. If anyone has any information please contact us at: security@gatehub.net   GateHub

Reminder: There is no direct evidence pointing to Gatehub being responsible even though it may appear as the most likely scenario right now. Just be careful about jumping to conclusions What you c

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, tulo said:

And please, do not move your funds to gatehub hosted wallets. At this point everything from gatehub is not safe.

• Create a new account on the ledger
  • Transfer all funds there

It will cost 20XRP but it's better than losing tens of thousands or more.

I posted this earlier 

I had created multiple wallets on Gatehub. Only one wallet was hacked and that was my original and only hosted wallet created in 2016. Did anyone else have multiple wallets on Gatehub ? If hackers had gained access through log in credentials why would they not hack all the wallets? Other wallets also HAD ( since moved) substantial amounts as well.

Edited by Jillian
correction
1 hour ago, Jillian said:

I posted this earlier 

I had created multiple wallets on Gatehub. Only one wallet was hacked and that was my original and only hosted wallet created in 2016. Did anyone else have multiple wallets on Gatehub ? If hackers had gained access through log in credentials why would they not hack all the wallets? Other wallets also HAD ( since moved) substantial amounts as well.

Just wanted to share, that my Wallet is from 2016 too, maybe it has something to do with the migration ( I cant remember i did this, but its long )

1 hour ago, Jillian said:

Only one wallet was hacked and that was my original and only hosted wallet created in 2016.

Can you please confirm whether it was a hosted wallet or a "Ripple" wallet? Hosted wallets are those where Gatehub pools your XRP with other users' XRP and assigns you a destination tag. I don't think there have been other reports of hosted wallets being compromised?

It doesn't seem like the attacker gained access to account credentials, just encrypted secret keys.

10 minutes ago, at3n said:

Can you please confirm whether it was a hosted wallet or a "Ripple" wallet? Hosted wallets are those where Gatehub pools your XRP with other users' XRP and assigns you a destination tag. I don't think there have been other reports of hosted wallets being compromised?

It doesn't seem like the attacker gained access to account credentials, just encrypted secret keys.

I was not required to use a destination tag but did have a secret key.  

15 minutes ago, Marvxrp said:

Just wanted to share, that my Wallet is from 2016 too, maybe it has something to do with the migration ( I cant remember i did this, but its long )

Yes my wallet also created in July 2016. Unfortunately that was the wallet that contained a large amount of my original deposits.   When I first started at gatehub I was not familiar with what I was doing

A few comments to previous posts:

- Targeted wallets are as new as 2018 so far.

- API is likely Gatehubs internal API (the browser makes API calls while using the site). Getting access to a database with access tokens sounds strange though – makes you wonder what kind of other information the database contained 🤔. In any case, perps would’ve been able to connect access tokens with account addresses somehow.

I wonder how close gatehub may be to possibly catching the party/parties involved....

If they are not close and need help, it might be a good time to offer a reward to anybody with information that leads to their capture....

I think more companies that fall victim to hackings of crypto assets should go that route.... even the best of friends will turn if the price is right....

5 hours ago, Silkjaer said:

A few comments to previous posts:

- Targeted wallets are as new as 2018 so far.

- API is likely Gatehubs internal API (the browser makes API calls while using the site). Getting access to a database with access tokens sounds strange though – makes you wonder what kind of other information the database contained 🤔. In any case, perps would’ve been able to connect access tokens with account addresses somehow.

Yeah, maybe the access to database is via a malware like what happened to bitstamp 

https://www.coindesk.com/unconfirmed-report-5-million-bitstamp-bitcoin-exchange

There are quite some people who run validators here. Do you guys keep logs? 

It doesn't look like they used Gatehub to transfer the money. Gatehub normally stores a memo but their transaction is clean, there's no additional info there. So my guess is that while stealing the funds, they probably connected to one of the public rippled servers to submit their transaction. If there are logs, you could get an IP for the fraudulent transactions. If they used their own rippled instance, maybe it's possible to see which IP proposed the transaction first?

Just an idea :)

2 hours ago, Marvxrp said:

Maybe its an Exit Scam. They gather slowly all Coins and run ...

Sorry but that's some ******** and fearmongering right there. Even if it was true, why steal from the highly visible Ripple accounts instead of their Gatehub hosted ones?