Jump to content
yxxyun

a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Personology said:

Toastwallet.com is legit right?  I'm terrified of screwing him over since he already got screwed.  

I think so... but i am no expert... To create xrp wallets, Bithomp and Wietse have some fine tools. Just read here and you find the info..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Personology said:

Toastwallet.com is legit right?  I'm terrified of screwing him over since he already got screwed.  

It is legit, i have used it, no problems so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pixelboy said:

It is legit, i have used it, no problems so far.

Not saying it isn't, but we all used Gatehub without problems...till last week  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GH/Ripple can't make a statement as it would likely prejudice their position. Expect limited to no pubic communication until all is in order. Communications should be directed from/by your counsel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Personology said:

Toastwallet.com is legit right?  I'm terrified of screwing him over since he already got screwed.  

With toast wallet your passphrase (what encrypts your secret key) is only stored on your device where you've set up your toast wallet - it is never sent to any external servers... And it's open source, everyone can look into their source code

When you keep your device where toast is set up offline it's as secure as the ledger nano s imo

Important when setting up, write down your wallet address and secret key on paper and store it in a safe place - when your device gets lost or doesn't work any more you still have access to your xrp with your paper wallet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wookie said:

Has anyone vetted the harbor xrp wallet for cold storage: https://www.secureblockchains.com/harbor-xrp-wallet/

Just use https://bithomp.com/create/  offline, create a new XRP address and move your XRP to the new address.

You can import your secret key into Toast or Harbor wallet later for access.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, pucksterpete said:

Don't the XRP haters :diablo:say that Ripple has the power to FREEZE anyone's XRP??? come on then Ripple FREEZE those bad actors accounts, Oh that's right Ripple can't do that :fool:

True.  But i have been wondering what could be done if all validators agree that a specific wallet is a hackers wallet. They could simply refuse to sign and validate transactions from that address and lock the XRP... But I guess it will have some nasty side effects David Schwarz hast thought of long, long ago...

Edited by Hero_Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hero_Member said:

True.  But i have been wondering what could be done if all validators agree that a specific wallet is a hackers wallet. They could simply refuse to sign and validate transactions from that address and lock the XRP... But I guess it will have some nasty side effects David Schwarz hast thought of long, long ago...

Technically, yes, but that would be a massive precedent to set, very bad for decentralisation and trust in the ledger.

Ideally, validators on the UNL would be comprised of groups with such differing ideologies that they could never agree on anything other than the technical truths relating to transactions. Then they will never collude to alter the "natural" state of the ledger to suit their own ends (even if that end is to stop a known thief). That's the underlying strength of XRPL, to my understanding.

If you have colluding validators controlling transactions, the value of the network would drop hugely.

Edited by at3n
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 8:05 AM, LordVetinari said:

I was bored and found this....

I noticed a mention of Global iD. Has anyone considered this as a possible commonality? Wasn't that a sign-in option at one point?

@kanaas I noticed you were part of this discussion regarding Global iD. Did you ever participate in Gatehub / Global iD?

 

Yes, I participated in the Gatehub & Global ID beta test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, at3n said:

Technically, yes, but that would be a massive precedent to set, very bad for decentralisation and trust in the ledger.

Ideally, validators on the UNL would be comprised of groups with such differing ideologies that they could never agree on anything other than the technical truths relating to transactions. Then they will never collude to alter the "natural" state of the ledger to suit their own ends (even if that end is to stop a known theif). That's the underlying strength of XRPL, to my understanding.

If you have colluding validators controlling transactions, the value of the network would drop hugely.

And there you have the nasty side effects ;) 

Any way, it is very frustrating to see hacker wallets move their  other people's funds away. And I am not even affected by this hack (yet...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hero_Member said:

Any way, it is very frustrating to see hacker wallets move their  other people's funds away. And I am not even affected by this hack (yet...)

Absolutely, it's gut-wrenching to imagine what it's like to be on the receiving end of this. From some past experiences I can identify with the feelings associated with sudden, desperate financial loss, it's absolutely awful. But to all who are suffering those feelings: time does fix it. Hold on, there's still plenty of chance that there will be a positive resolution to this. Even if eventually it doesn't work out that way, the mental strain will fade over time. The mental bit is the hardest to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...