a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On June 1 we were made aware of a theft of 201,000 XRP (transaction F6E9E1385E11649A6C2F88723A821AF209B54030886539DCEF9DDD00E6446948) and immediately started investigation. It turned out that the acco

Hey all! We are aware of the matter and are looking into it. If anyone has any information please contact us at: security@gatehub.net   GateHub

Reminder: There is no direct evidence pointing to Gatehub being responsible even though it may appear as the most likely scenario right now. Just be careful about jumping to conclusions What you c

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, pucksterpete said:

Don't the XRP haters :diablo:say that Ripple has the power to FREEZE anyone's XRP??? come on then Ripple FREEZE those bad actors accounts, Oh that's right Ripple can't do that :fool:

True.  But i have been wondering what could be done if all validators agree that a specific wallet is a hackers wallet. They could simply refuse to sign and validate transactions from that address and lock the XRP... But I guess it will have some nasty side effects David Schwarz hast thought of long, long ago...

Edited by Hero_Member
3 hours ago, Hero_Member said:

True.  But i have been wondering what could be done if all validators agree that a specific wallet is a hackers wallet. They could simply refuse to sign and validate transactions from that address and lock the XRP... But I guess it will have some nasty side effects David Schwarz hast thought of long, long ago...

Technically, yes, but that would be a massive precedent to set, very bad for decentralisation and trust in the ledger.

Ideally, validators on the UNL would be comprised of groups with such differing ideologies that they could never agree on anything other than the technical truths relating to transactions. Then they will never collude to alter the "natural" state of the ledger to suit their own ends (even if that end is to stop a known thief). That's the underlying strength of XRPL, to my understanding.

If you have colluding validators controlling transactions, the value of the network would drop hugely.

Edited by at3n
Spelling
On 6/6/2019 at 8:05 AM, LordVetinari said:

I was bored and found this....

I noticed a mention of Global iD. Has anyone considered this as a possible commonality? Wasn't that a sign-in option at one point?

@kanaas I noticed you were part of this discussion regarding Global iD. Did you ever participate in Gatehub / Global iD?

Yes, I participated in the Gatehub & Global ID beta test

27 minutes ago, at3n said:

Technically, yes, but that would be a massive precedent to set, very bad for decentralisation and trust in the ledger.

Ideally, validators on the UNL would be comprised of groups with such differing ideologies that they could never agree on anything other than the technical truths relating to transactions. Then they will never collude to alter the "natural" state of the ledger to suit their own ends (even if that end is to stop a known theif). That's the underlying strength of XRPL, to my understanding.

If you have colluding validators controlling transactions, the value of the network would drop hugely.

And there you have the nasty side effects ;) 

Any way, it is very frustrating to see hacker wallets move their  other people's funds away. And I am not even affected by this hack (yet...)

39 minutes ago, Hero_Member said:

Any way, it is very frustrating to see hacker wallets move their  other people's funds away. And I am not even affected by this hack (yet...)

Absolutely, it's gut-wrenching to imagine what it's like to be on the receiving end of this. From some past experiences I can identify with the feelings associated with sudden, desperate financial loss, it's absolutely awful. But to all who are suffering those feelings: time does fix it. Hold on, there's still plenty of chance that there will be a positive resolution to this. Even if eventually it doesn't work out that way, the mental strain will fade over time. The mental bit is the hardest to deal with.

Read the entire topic, just registered to comment. Truly sad news this. Is this the first time XRP-hodlers are being targeted in a large heist? Can't remember any other such event? What makes it worse is that it seems to have affected a lot of oldbies who had a lot of XRP per person.

The first time I bought XRP was in Nov 2017, and I was forwarded to Gatehub for a XRP-wallet. I still have the e-mail from Gatehub, and only after reading this topic I found out about the "Ripple Trade-issue", even though it was mentioned in the original e-mail, but I didn't pay any attention to it back then as a XRP-n00b:

Hello and thank you for joining GateHub.

Activate
Please activate your account before continuing.

Are you a Ripple Trade user looking to migrate your account? You will be able to start the migration process after you activate your account.

So I can understand why they had stored their XRP there since it was recommended by Ripple. I appreciate the fact that Ripple donates to all kinds of charities, but the least they can do is to also setup a charity fund for loyal XRP-investors, similar to the SAFU-fund of Binance, to cover such disasters as has happened with Gatehub, at least for the early stage of the crypto adoption to gain the trust of the masses. No offense, but surely XRP-investors are as deserving or more for charity from Ripple as the ones mentioned below from this and previous year:

- Ripple Co-Founder Gives $25 Million Donation in XRP to San Francisco University
- Ripple Partners With Madonna to Fundraise for Orphans in Malawi
- Ripple donates $50 million to top universities to boost blockchain adoption
- Ripple gives away $29 million of its cryptocurrency to public schools
- Ripple Donates $4 Million To the Ellen Degeneres Wildlife Foundation

The sooner this issue is resolved, the better. Time is not on our side. Don't repeat the same mistake as Mt.Gox, allowing the BTC price to skyrocket. If you are going to pay back their funds, try to at least secure millions of XRP now that the price is cheap before it goes up and makes this a bigger disaster than it already is!

12 hours ago, at3n said:

I am a default UNL validator. I certainly will not collude to do any such thing, and I am sure the rest are of the same mindset. That is a slippery slope, from which there is no return. As pointed out, we have diverse interests in the ecosystem. Any malicious behavior such as this will be spotted very quickly.

Hello,

I am new here.

My wallet is also hacked on the 5 of june around 4:39 pm.

I lost about 4000 xrp :unsure:

What i have to do now ?

Already sent an email to Gatehub with photos but no answer so far ...

I live in Belgium.

Thx

19 hours ago, at3n said:

While I am very sorry for people's losses, I adamantly oppose using our validator to censor or alter any transactions, as doing so would surely have substantial negative effects for the overall XRPL. As @alloyxrp already observed, this is a slippery slope indeed! Further, it isn't even possible or practical, as there are so many default UNL validators that would surely disagree with this course of action.

6 hours ago, alloyxrp said:

I am a default UNL validator. I certainly will not collude to do any such thing, and I am sure the rest are of the same mindset. That is a slippery slope, from which there is no return. As pointed out, we have diverse interests in the ecosystem. Any malicious behavior such as this will be spotted very quickly.

Irreversible theft is a consequence associated with decentralized systems, and I personally avoid keeping any value on exchanges, as I see them as rather large targets for theft.

Looking for an official response from Gatehub, hoping to get it here:

Does Gatehub store deleted wallets? I currently have 2 wallets in GateHub and also got 2 security warnings. In the past I had more wallets, but extracted the secret and deleted them from Gatehub ~1-2 years ago (in case my account was breached).  Can I have a list of the actual wallets of which the secret key may be compromised? It would be useful if Gatehub included the wallet address in each security notification they send out by mail and phone.