a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

yxxyun

51 minutes ago, Jillian said:

Thank you so much. I just sent a request to him.  I am so upset I can't even think straight.

Yes, this is extremely distressing but there are some great people who have already stepped in to help. For now, it's a matter of gathering facts, reporting to your LEA and making sure everyone is securing their accounts, wallets and remaining funds. 

This is a terrible thing,  but as often happens during horrible events,  good people step up and shine while trying to help in whatever ways they can.   Thanks go to those helping.

May the road ahead be smooth and have a good destination.    Chin up if you can guys...

2 hours ago, Jillian said:

Unfortunately I have also had my account hacked.  Words can not describe how painful this is. I am sick to my stomach over this.   I changed my email, use 2fa and changed my password. this wallet had been created in 2016.  I am wondering if Gatehub is trying to push the blame on the wallet holders?

That’s what they tried to do since the beginning. Terrible attitude. 

Binance approached the same problem with complete different class. No matter how things will go, even if I will get my money back, I am done with gatehub. 

My account was hacked on Gatehub. I hoping Gatehub will take care of this. If anyone else got hacked please connect for any other future legal actions. 

https://cointelegraph.com/news/report-nearly-10-million-in-xrp-stolen-in-gatehub-hack

1 hour ago, Geekluca said:

Binance approached the same problem with complete different class. No matter how things will go, even if I will get my money back, I am done with gatehub. 

Just give me back my XRP!!! 

15 hours ago, gatehub said:

Please provide us with the wallet address of user/users who haven't received a warning email. Please send it to our private message if you do not feel comfortable posting it publicly. After the 3rd of June, multiple emails were sent to all users whose wallets might be compromised not just to the ones that had their funds stolen. 

I've no problem sharing my wallet addresses as I've moved everything out from my GateHub Ripple wallet holdings.

I received no emails of what was going on as investors funds continued to be drained by hackers. It was thanks to a friend I assisted to get set up with GateHub back in 2017, that sadly lost 25K XRP in your breach, that I was lucky enough to get my funds out.

In total I assisted 40 investors get set up on Gatehub in 2017 and I contacted every single one of them as soon as I found out to move their funds to a safe location.

I'm hoping they have all been successful as emails filter through.  

My unaffected wallet addresses

rwa5psoXtUfpZ6mCxp5gkAWMGAvM9rjvPs

r4hyLzFqkHmLzrVH3vHx6T4vH5BzC2Xkiq

3 hours ago, Geekluca said:

They advertise that their company is backed by Chris Larsen, on their careers page. Backed by has a legal meaning. Please pass this screenshot to your lawyers, people! Get your money back! All your losses together is just a drop in a bucket for uncle Chris.

image.thumb.png.2b1979ac2610bbc8d7a3421893ba2dd5.png

22 minutes ago, lucky said:

They advertise that their company is backed by Chris Larsen, on their careers page. Backed by has a legal meaning. Please pass this screenshot to your lawyers, people! Get your money back! All your losses together is just a drop in a bucket for uncle Chris.

image.thumb.png.2b1979ac2610bbc8d7a3421893ba2dd5.png

https://gatehub.net/blog/announcement/

Chris Larsen 

Nejc Kodrič, CEO Bitstamp

Not sure about now 

27 minutes ago, mrenne said:

Chris Larsen is as a minority investor of a private Ltd not personally liable for the damage.

You can ask him kindly, but going to court against him is not gonna help. Don't give people false hope.

It is not a matter of providing hope, but providing legal ammunition. The company Gatehub states on their website that they are backed by Chris Larsen. We may assume that Mr Larsen knows that his name is being used in the context of backing this exchange, and that this very fact was a reason for many users (including me, originally) to trust this exchange with their funds. IANAL but I would assume that you first go after Gatehub, if they don't pay up, you go after Chris, who has lend his reputation to them.

I haven't looked into how their service works but, if they indeed:

• store secret keys on their server encrypted with a potentially weak password provided by a user (VERY BAD #1)
  • do not sign transactions in the browser, but instead send that password over to the server where transaction is then signed (VERY BAD #2)

Then this service is fundamentally flawed, and should be taken down immediately, or at least it should warn users that it's security design is fundamentally flawed. Any decent security audit should have flagged this. Mr Larsen being listed with his consent as "backing" this company makes him co-responsible for this major f-up.

Edited by Guest