a few user reported their gatehub wallet been hacked and XRP sent to r9do2Ar8k64NxgLD6oJoywaxQhUS57Ck8k

yxxyun

I received this email from gatehub on the 11-04-2019. I am not sure if its related or not. But if it is it may go someways to prove they knew of potential risks yet missed the main attack route. I also find that fact that @FERforum had the exact same thing happen in 2017 and reported it to gatehub back then it is obvious that gatehub has dropped the ball. I am pretty sure i have read about other similar cases over the years. It's possible that the hackers have tested a few accounts previously and are  now hitting as many accounts as they can before they disappear. 

Dear GateHub user,

Between April 4 and 5, we discovered that an unknown perpetrator had used a large number of stolen email addresses that were circulating the web and was able to obtain the information whether the email is registered on our platform as well as wallet addresses associated with the aforementioned email address, via API call.

Appropriate measures have been taken to stop the perpetrator and prevent further action from their end.

We must inform you that no personal information had been accessed or obtained from our storage. Your personal information is securely stored and safe with us. We would also like to assure all GateHub customers that their funds are safe.

Involved email addresses were not obtained from GateHub.

The aforementioned API call is part of our infrastructure that allows customers to use an email address as a contact for sending funds.

We wanted to inform you of this occurrence to honour our commitment to transparency and customer service.

We would also like to take this opportunity to offer you advice on how to improve the security of your email account as well as the security of your GateHub account.

For your personal email account

Update your login password. Read more about it on our blog, here.

Set-up an additional layer of security on the email address (2-Factor Authentication, SMS validation, account activity notification,...). Read more about it on our blog, here.

For your GateHub account

Bookmark https://www.gatehub.net/ to avoid falling victim to phishing sites. It is also recommended to enable auto-update for your browser.

Update your GateHub login password.

Enable 2-Factor Authentication for your GateHub account and safely store the 2FA backup code ("Authentication key").

Consider changing your current GateHub account login email. Read more about it on our blog, here.

Always make sure your GateHub recovery key and other credentials (i.e. Ripple secret keys) are stored in a safe place (offline storage or paper copies).

Be mindful of any emails which request additional account information. GateHub will never ask you for your log-in credentials.

We strongly advise against saving your sensitive information in your email or any other online storage.

For any additional questions, please contact us through our customer support service, here.

Sincerely,
GateHub Team

Edited by Mitty

2 minutes ago, Mitty said:

I received this email from gatehub on the 11-04-2019. I am not sure if its related or not. But if it is it may go someways to prove they new of potential risks yet missed the main attack route. I also find that fact that @FERforum had the exact same thing happen in 2017 and reported it to gatehub back then it is obvious that gatehub has dropped the ball. I am pretty sure i have read about other similar cases over the years. It's possible that the hackers have tested a few accounts previously and are  now hitting as many accounts as they can before they disappear. 

Dear GateHub user,

Between April 4 and 5, we discovered that an unknown perpetrator had used a large number of stolen email addresses that were circulating the web and was able to obtain the information whether the email is registered on our platform as well as wallet addresses associated with the aforementioned email address, via API call.

Appropriate measures have been taken to stop the perpetrator and prevent further action from their end.

We must inform you that no personal information had been accessed or obtained from our storage. Your personal information is securely stored and safe with us. We would also like to assure all GateHub customers that their funds are safe.

The aforementioned API call is part of our infrastructure that allows customers to use an email address as a contact for sending funds.

We wanted to inform you of this occurrence to honour our commitment to transparency and customer service.

We would also like to take this opportunity to offer you advice on how to improve the security of your email account as well as the security of your GateHub account.

Set-up an additional layer of security on the email address (2-Factor Authentication, SMS validation, account activity notification,...). Read more about it on our blog, here.

For your GateHub account

Bookmark https://www.gatehub.net/ to avoid falling victim to phishing sites. It is also recommended to enable auto-update for your browser.

Enable 2-Factor Authentication for your GateHub account and safely store the 2FA backup code ("Authentication key").

Consider changing your current GateHub account login email. Read more about it on our blog, here.

Always make sure your GateHub recovery key and other credentials (i.e. Ripple secret keys) are stored in a safe place (offline storage or paper copies).

Be mindful of any emails which request additional account information. GateHub will never ask you for your log-in credentials.

We strongly advise against saving your sensitive information in your email or any other online storage.

For any additional questions, please contact us through our customer support service, here.

Sincerely,
GateHub Team

Well I suspect this hack might be due to one of the API being exploited. No other way to explain how the thieves can just grab users' XRP without even logging in!!!

4 hours ago, Geekluca said:

I think we should create a common group and go for a class action or at least for a common legal effort. This way if handiling such a problem is totally unacceptable. 

Count me in too

2 hours ago, at3n said:

Question @Pablo: Does the fact that Gatehub's wallet service is free change anything regarding their liability? No-one paid anything to Gatehub for them to store their keys.

Money is made entirely through the gateway service, which is not mandatory to use.

The fact that the wallet service is "free" doesn't change much by way of their regulatory obligations (e.g consumer protection or GDPR) because Gatehub was in this to make money.

Our Fees.

We hope to make a living at this. Our fee schedule is here.

Courts might be more lenient knowing that Gatehub makes no profit from the wallets but on the other hand, the wallet and account are required to trade and Gatehub held those keys in expectation that people will trade with the stored XRP.

Storing the keys and XRP also increased client loyalty, goodwill and stickiness which was confirmed this week by the number of early adopters still holding XRP out there.

46 minutes ago, Mitty said:

I received this email from gatehub on the 11-04-2019. I am not sure if its related or not. But if it is it may go someways to prove they knew of potential risks yet missed the main attack route. I also find that fact that @FERforum had the exact same thing happen in 2017 and reported it to gatehub back then it is obvious that gatehub has dropped the ball. I am pretty sure i have read about other similar cases over the years. It's possible that the hackers have tested a few accounts previously and are  now hitting as many accounts as they can before they disappear. 

Dear GateHub user,

For your GateHub account

Sincerely,
GateHub Team

If they sent it to you in April why didn’t they send it to all registered accounts. I’ve just checked and nothing from Gatehub on those dates. That could have saved everyone affected now. 

14 minutes ago, orxan5000 said:

My xrps gone to rHvWywQiexNeCLWTa9dBjHTMAtt6tPN7Z1. Pleae add this address to research or legislation report too

Hi @orxan5000 - I think the proper first step is for you to contact your local fraud squad/police in your country and report this to them if you haven't already done so. You can also point them to this thread if they need more background information.

4 minutes ago, Harrryquartz said:

If they sent it to you in April why didn’t they send it to all registered accounts. I’ve just checked and nothing from Gatehub on those dates. That could have saved everyone affected now. 

I definitely didn’t received that email as well. If I did I wouldn’t have ended up this way.

This just shows how incompetent they are in terms of notifying customers for any security issues.

The fact that they have selected customers to email about an issue that should have been known by the whole customer base of Gatehub is an utter disgrace.

@gatehub 

2 minutes ago, Silkjaer said:

A small update from our research, we are now counting 80+ (most likely) victims.

Is this still ongoing as we speak or are you processing transactions from the last couple of days?