Good Omens

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, 7strings said:

The Light Fantastic
Guards! Guards!
and
Pyramids

are 3 of my favourites, but there are plenty :)

@dr_ed The Light Fantastic is probably the best place to start if you want the most exposure to the entirety of Discworld, it's characters and mythos.

My personal favorite is Small Gods or Pyramids. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, LordVetinari said:

@dr_ed The Light Fantastic is probably the best place to start if you want the most exposure to the entirety of Discworld, it's characters and mythos.

My personal favorite is Small Gods or Pyramids. 

@dr_ed Just realized I mixed up the book titles and meant The Colour of Magic instead of The Light Fantastic.  These 2 are the first 2 Discworld books btw, The Light Fantastic continues where The Colour of Magic ends.
Oh, and Sourcery is also great.

Posted (edited)

Pratchett looks to be quite collectible. Some mass market books are. Stephen King being a case in point. Found this on my favorite aggregator.

161580195_ScreenShot2019-06-10at11_22_22AM.thumb.png.f69789874ea91ebf05b5f916661a09c4.png

That's $94 US.

Edited by dr_ed

Posted (edited)

I am now in possession of a copy of The Color of Magic, obtained from Half-Price Books on my lunch hour. Hopefully it'll be a slow afternoon at work.  :) 

Edited by dr_ed

2 minutes ago, dr_ed said:

I am now in possession of a copy of The Color of Magic, obtained from Half-Price Books on my lunch hour. Hopefully it'll be a slow afternoon at work.  :) 

Let us know how you liked it. :)

Also found what I think is a 1st of Don't Stop The Carnival.....never to be signed now, Herman Wouk having very recently passed on at age 103....but it's a favorite of mine (best read along with Michener's Caribbean as a companion piece imho). It will be a Christmas present for my son. 

I have to be careful in bookstores. I used to spend a great deal of money on books, even when I didn't have much to spend. Places like City Lights Bookstore in SF,  or Myopic Books in Chicago are destinations for me when I travel. 

I'm sure I'll enjoy the Pratchett. Thanks again for the recommendations.

30 minutes ago, dr_ed said:

Oh, I see....

What if?......  If Douglas Adams married J.K. Rowling in a past life, and they gave birth to a son who grew up to be a fantasy writer with a really dry, cutting wit.......

I'm diggin' it.

I stumbled upon The Colour of Magic and The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy as a teenager at the same time. This was way before the internet and I actually had that little theory of mine that Adams and Pratchett are the same person, using different names for the sci-fi and the fantasy stuff. :)

I'm older than you, and so when I read Douglas Adams I was immediately pretty sure he was deliberately riffing on C.S.Lewis.

This is a game I play. I thought Hunter Thompson was original until I read Bukowski. I thought Kerouac was original until I read Gertrude Stein.

Most of literature is an homage to somebody or other, if you can just figure out who the influences are.

Douglas copeland and terry brooks are two of my faves..i love good omens..its a hilarious show..the one eppisode when they are looking for a new planet i thought for sure they would have cracked a doctor who joke.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:19 PM, Guest said:

If you've read and loved Good Omens : It's pretty good. Some of it was adapted very well, other parts not so much. For example, I enjoyed the cast. I thought the switch of the children by the Chattering Nuns was great but when they revisit to find out what went wrong, the paintball scene was not as funny as I was hoping.

If you've not read Good Omens : You'll probably have to see it through to the end to really like it.

Thanks for such a detailed answer! I'll definitely watch it!