Good Omens

1 hour ago, AnaLitvi said:

There are good reviews about the first episode, maybe it is worth watching 

If you've read and loved Good Omens : It's pretty good. Some of it was adapted very well, other parts not so much. For example, I enjoyed the cast. I thought the switch of the children by the Chattering Nuns was great but when they revisit to find out what went wrong, the paintball scene was not as funny as I was hoping.

If you've not read Good Omens : You'll probably have to see it through to the end to really like it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 7strings said:

If you've read and watched American Gods, how does this compare? (Personally I didn't like that adaptation.)

I've not read or seen either. I love Pratchett's writing but I never followed Gaiman's. I've been on a Tom Holt binge recently and could use a break. I'll pick up American Gods today.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

I love Pratchett's writing

Now who would have thought Lord Vetinari. :) Btw I almost choose Rincewind as my name on xrpchat. 

I think I might binge-watch Good Omens this weekend, thanks for the recommendation.

American Gods (the novel) is one of my all time favorites, hope you'll like it. Don't expect it to be funny tough.

10 minutes ago, 7strings said:

American Gods (the novel) is one of my all time favorites, hope you'll like it. Don't expect it to be funny tough.

Funny isn't a necessity. I appreciate an author who can blur the lines of fantasy and reality. American Gods looks to have a really interesting intersection. Looking forward to it. 

Posted (edited)

A literary thread. People are discussing BOOKS here! 

That's pretty cool. Not my genre, particularly, but cool nevertheless. I don't read nearly as much fiction and literature as I once did, but it's subject I love to rant about. I even collect books. I have a few very cherished signed firsts. If crypto pays off big someday, I might open an online bookstore. It's an idea I've had for a while...more a labor of love than a way to get rich, but I just always try to find a way to monetize everything.

Big fault of mine.

Edited by dr_ed

1 hour ago, dr_ed said:

I have a few very cherished signed firsts.

You'll like the character, Aziraphale.

I've read a little Gaiman, but no Pratchett. I'lll put it on the list for my next long flight somewhere. I like Neal Stephenson...my favorite among the cyber generation.

5 hours ago, dr_ed said:

I've read a little Gaiman, but no Pratchett. I'lll put it on the list for my next long flight somewhere. I like Neal Stephenson...my favorite among the cyber generation.

Pratchett was a genius.  His subtly subversive interweaving of current reality into his complex creation of the Discworld is an endless delight.  He has poked fun at many many of our professions and conceits in modern society.

(No offence meant Doc, but I view many modern Professions as being run much like The Thief’s Guild or The Assasins Guild.)

Unfortunately many of his subtle jests might go unnoticed if you are not at least passingly familiar with his topic-de-jour.  For instance he often wove a bit of high energy physics, or quantum theory, or esoteric mathematics into his long punchline jests.  So if you were not aware of the real topic you might miss his fantasy jest.  Luckily however (and the only reason I ever got any of them, ) is that it was mostly only the popularised bits of the science that he referenced.

Also the more you read his books, the more context the characters gain,  and so the humour and plot are therefore richer.  Having said that...  they all pretty much standalone and can be enjoyed (if not fully) to a large extend by the new reader.

Did I say I was a fan?    :) 

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

Pratchett was a genius.  His subtly subversive interweaving of current reality into his complex creation of the Discworld is an endless delight.  He has poked fun at many many of our professions and conceits in modern society.

(No offence meant Doc, but I view many modern Professions as being run much like The Thief’s Guild or The Assasins Guild.)

Unfortunately many of his subtle jests might go unnoticed if you are not at least passingly familiar with his topic-de-jour.  For instance he often wove a bit of high energy physics, or quantum theory, or esoteric mathematics into his long punchline jests.  So if you were not aware of the real topic you might miss his fantasy jest.  Luckily however (and the only reason I ever got any of them, ) is that it was mostly only the popularised bits of the science that he referenced.

Also the more you read his books, the more context the characters gain,  and so the humour and plot are therefore richer.  Having said that...  they all pretty much standalone and can be enjoyed (if not fully) to a large extend by the new reader.

Did I say I was a fan?    :) 

Where does one start? Give me a title.

I'm very familiar with those who view people like me as members of a gate-kept guild. Like it is with most skilled trades, not all who practice it are the same, even though we get lumped together. I understand why people feel that way, but of course, I see it from my side, with more than 30 years of perspective on where we are and how we got here, and where we're going (Spoiler, it's going to get worse for both doctors and patients, while middle men make out like bandits).. Don't get me started.

Edited by dr_ed

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dr_ed said:

Where does one start? Give me a title.

I'm very familiar with those who view people like me as members of a gate-kept guild. Like it is with most skilled trades, not all who practice it are the same, even though we get lumped together. I understand why people feel that way, but of course, I see it from my side, with more than 30 years of perspective on where we are and how we got here, and where we're going (Spoiler, it's going to get worse for both doctors and patients, while middle men make out like bandits).. Don't get me started.

The Light Fantastic
Guards! Guards!
and
Pyramids

are 3 of my favourites, but there are plenty :)

Edited by 7strings

Thanks.

Anybody read Stephenson's The SevenEves? That's about my last foray into fantasy/scifi.  Not bad in my view. Depressing, but well done. Not the Cryptonomicon or the Baroque Trilogy, but not bad.