Sign in to follow this  
QWE

Suggestion: adding source to titles in Press

Should titles in Press include article source?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should titles in Press include article source?

• Yes, add this to the rules of posting in Press section.
    • No, leave it as it is.

With the flood of amateur and unprofessional crypto news websites with unsupported claims, sources and misleading titles, I would like to suggest a new rule when creating a topic in the Press section of the forum:

Every title should include the source of the article at the beginning of the title.

Title examples:

[Coindesk] Coinbase Opens Up XRP Trading for New York Residents

[TodaysGazette] Ripple’s Contractual Term with Over 200 Partners Behind XRP Low Price. Here is Why

This way forum users can determine if the topic is interesting for them without having to even open it. Some websites are notorious for unsupported claims, such as “Bank confirms using XRP” or “Expert suggests XRP is worthless” without providing any real evidence or source, which is outright misleading, if not total news fabrication.

We already have a subsection “Other Press”, which is good, but I do believe adding source of the article in the title itself to be beneficial for most forum users and at the same time creates no extra effort for forum moderators and topic posters.

I created a poll to see if there is any support for this new rule, so anyone reading this, please vote.

Mods, please leave this topic in the Press section for a week before moving it to “Meta” or any other appropriate section of the forum.

I personally HATE that title rule.  It leaves up open to endless threads with FUDdy titles.  This amendment would fractionally improve that but not by much.

Why the feck can’t the threads just explain the content rather than parrot the headline?

Then maybe we wouldn’t have “Ripple set to fail in 2019” threads.  That instead should be “Another fuddesk article bags Ripple”.

22 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

I personally HATE that title rule.  It leaves up open to endless threads with FUDdy titles.  This amendment would fractionally improve that but not by much.

Why the feck can’t the threads just explain the content rather than parrot the headline?

Then maybe we wouldn’t have “Ripple set to fail in 2019” threads.  That instead should be “Another fuddesk article bags Ripple”.

I see what you are getting at, especially since article titles are often created as click bait, but allowing users to create their own titles of the topic goes two ways – some users may then create topics like “Is it over for Ripple?” and link an article to Forbes with a title “JP Morgan creates their own cryptocurrency”, which is even more misleading in my opinion. Topic title being the same as article title at least creates objectivity from poster’s and forum’s side. Article titles will, unfortunately, stay misleading regardless of XRP forum rules.