lucky

Craig Wright is Satoshi Nakomoto

I watched it...  extremely unconvinced.

I’m always surprised to find that people whose intelligence I respect, (some of whom are posters in here,) can hold the view that CW is Satoshi.  It seems self evident that he is not...  else he would just prove it with use of the key.  He is clearly motivated to want us to believe it...  if it actually were true he could achieve universal belief,  something he clearly wants,  with ease.

The fact that he tried to fake the transaction in the past is further evidence (if any was required) that he is not who he says he is. And lastly it’s no surprise that a narcissist would falsely claim greatness.

I have no wish to offend anyone,  but I think this must be said.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tinyaccount said:

I watched it...  extremely unconvinced.

I’m always surprised to find that people whose intelligence I respect, (some of whom are posters in here,) can hold the view that CW is Satoshi.  It seems self evident that he is not...  else he would just prove it with use of the key.  He is clearly motivated to want us to believe it...  if it actually were true he could achieve universal belief,  something he clearly wants,  with ease.

The fact that he tried to fake the transaction in the past is further evidence (if any was required) that he is not who he says he is. And lastly it’s no surprise that a narcissist would falsely claim greatness.

I have no wish to offend anyone,  but I think this must be said.

You also demanded cryptographic proof from Bob Way, after he already provided "conventional" proof that he was Bob Way, by telling a story only Bob Way could possibly tell. Satoshi's right to keep his wallets private is fundamental to Bitcoin. He does not ask your money, and has no obligation to you whatsoever. The beauty of it, is: it does not matter. BSV is very clearly the only Bitcoin that follows the original vision, and it is up to you to decide if that is useful. As a developer, I can tell you: it is to me.

I very much agree with his idea that we should stay away from Vitalik's world where computers replace human judgement.

Edited by lucky

Lucky I didn’t demand anything...  I politely asked what I felt was going to be likely issue if not addressed.  And at that point (although I could be wrong) he had not told a story that only he could tell.

2 hours ago, lucky said:

He does not ask your money, and has no obligation to you whatsoever. 

Absolutely true.  And I ask nothing of him.  

I merely observe that if he seems so very desperate to convince us all that he really is Satoshi,  there is a uniquely appropriate method, easily available if he truly were who he claims.  

And the only reason I mention it at all is to provide the other side of the argument than the one you have made,  so that the thread has a balance to a new observer.  I for one,  value your opinions and would not want others who also do,  to think that this was a settled matter.

4 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

I merely observe that if he seems so very desperate to convince us all that he really is Satoshi,  there is a uniquely appropriate method, easily available if he truly were who he claims.  

Well I think that's the point, his main goal is not to be recognized as Satoshi but financial inclusion using bitcoin. I don't think he is doing a very good job just because of his personality, but there you have it. If he started this innovation, good on him. I do think it will cause more financial inclusion around the globe. 

15 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

there is a uniquely appropriate method, easily available if he truly were who he claims

My key problem with this statement is that you give a computer algorithm which you don't understand yourself, and have to trust other people to tell you the outcome of the algorithm, a higher weight than your own judgement based on information that is entering your eyes and ears, and processed by your own brain.

Access to a secret does not prove identity. Bob Way proved to me to be Bob Way by being Bob Way, not by signing a message. This is very fundamental. If you replace human judgement with computer algorithms we are entering a very scary world, where people are becoming enslaved to computers. That the creator of Bitcoin understands this fundamental issue, is very reassuring to me.

If you remove the scary computery bits,   and just think of it as a key (an old style large metal dorrknob key for instance) then there is nothing to find frightening in using it as a proof he is Satoshi.

I’m a programmer (also called a developer in these modern times) so in spite of what you said I do understand at least the outlines of the process.  But the process is irrelevant...  holding the key is not absolute proof, as you say, but would establish it beyond doubt for most people.

The fact that people are prepared to build airy castles of logic to come to the view that he has a good reason not to use the simplest (and ironically, most appropriate,) method to establish the Satoshi identity is much more scary to me.

5 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

The fact that people are prepared to build airy castles of logic to come to the view that he has a good reason not to use the simplest (and ironically, most appropriate,) method to establish the Satoshi identity is much more scary to me.

So you don't think that a person has the fundamental right to keep secrets, and has a right to privacy? And that this right has to be well understood before all jumping in a fully digital age, and fundamentally protected? Has Craig lost that right? Should our current legal system, in which you still have that right, be replaced with "trial by twitter" and "smart" contracts? Don't you at least agree this is an incredibly interesting and fundamental subject, which is now in the epicenter of discussions?

Not to mention proving access to 1 million bitcoins has immense legal , fiscal and security implications. That's not really a "castle of logic", but a colossal amount of serious risk: he has nothing to gain from proving access, and only to lose. Craig is a poker player, and very well aware of risk calculation, and like any poker player knows: if you don't have to show your hand, don't.

Lucky we disagree about Craig,  but I do understand many of your points and agree with them.  I think I will just bow out now if that’s ok...  I only wanted to present the alternative view which I have done enough of already.

I’ll tell you one thing...   we are definitely living in an interesting time.  I can’t wait to see how this crypto space pans out.

5 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

Lucky we disagree about Craig,  but I do understand many of your points and agree with them.  I think I will just bow out now if that’s ok...  I only wanted to present the alternative view which I have done enough of already.

I’ll tell you one thing...   we are definitely living in an interesting time.  I can’t wait to see how this crypto space pans out.

I appreciated hearing your side, thanks! Yeah, incredibly interesting times.

Posted (edited)

Not sure if this has been mentioned above, but if Craig is Satoshi, and he wishes to decimate BTC and show SV to be the king, why wouldn’t he just sell all 1m BTC and cripple it?

Edited by XRPforLong

50 minutes ago, XRPforLong said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned above, but if Craig is Satoshi, and he wishes to decimate BTC and show SV to be the king, why wouldn’t he just sell all 1m BTC and cripple it?

Probably because he is not an idiot...