Largest Bank of Thailand Hints at Using XRP

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Largest Bank of Thailand Hints at Using XRP https://www.investinblockchain.com/largest-bank-of-thailand-hints-at-using-xrp/    

SCB is Thailand's third-largest commercial bank, yet here's another interesting hint: http://fintechnews.sg/30835/thailand/instarem-kasikornbank/ KBank is Thailand's second largest: I

This is starting to annoy me. Even the article misquotes it. In the tweet it's "but as for XRP, you may have to wait for further announcement." not "will have to wait for further announcements.”

Posted Images

SCB is Thailand's third-largest commercial bank, yet here's another interesting hint:

http://fintechnews.sg/30835/thailand/instarem-kasikornbank/

KBank is Thailand's second largest:

Announcing InstaReM’s partnership with KBank, Prajit Nanu, co–founder and CEO of InstaReM said, 

“We are delighted to be working together with KBank to power their outward remittances. This relationship further cements InstaReM’s position as a leading provider for cross–border transactions. With InstaReM, KBank clients will be able to realize faster turnarounds, while providing certainty on delivery times and payout amounts.” 

According to its press release, InstaReM already powers payments for three of the top ten Southeast Asian Banks and leading financial institutions across the globe. This news follows InstaReM’s initial Series C round which saw participation from Beacon Venture Capital, KBank’s VC arm, the round later closed at US$ 59 million.

InstaReM, as we know, is RippleNet partner for Southeast Asia.

Edited by panmores

This is starting to annoy me. Even the article misquotes it. In the tweet it's "but as for XRP, you may have to wait for further announcement." not "will have to wait for further announcements.”

There's a bloody big difference between "may" and "will". Especially when it's a slightly weird sentence for a native English speaker. You'd expect either "You will have to wait" or "We cannot comment on XRP" not "may have to wait". 

People are jumping on this way too much, to the extent that I saw someone interpreting it as code that there'll be an announcement in "May". SMH

Having said all of that, I do believe they will use XRP in the future, like many others. But can ignore this tweet entirely.

7 minutes ago, miongski said:

Lol. Grammar sheriff

Sorry miongski, I have to side with DtotheK. May implies that there could or could not be a follow up announcement. For all we know they to date have no intent of using XRP. Will, on the other hand indicates there will be another announcement. It is these kind of instances which people begin to misquote and 3rd rate crypto writers tend to incorrectly perpetuate. Wrong hype can hurt as much as FUD.

What do you suppose their reply would have been if Jorge had asked, "Would you be using DOGE?" 

Me thinks, not, "you may have to wait for further announcement." 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Rust said:

Sorry miongski, I have to side with DtotheK. May implies that there could or could not be a follow up announcement. For all we know they to date have no intent of using XRP. Will, on the other hand indicates there will be another announcement. It is these kind of instances which people begin to misquote and 3rd rate crypto writers tend to incorrectly perpetuate. Wrong hype can hurt as much as FUD.

I can see both sides of this. The original sentence can be read in more than one way but to my mind "May" refers to the  date of the announcement that XRP is being used, not whether or not they will be using XRP.   For instance the opposite is "may not" have to wait, because the announcment that XRP is being used is due any moment now.    The sentence seems to be about how long we will have to wait for the announcement that XRP is being used, it is not whether SCB may decide to use XRP at a later date.

The title of the article rightly says it is a "hint" of an announcment.

Edited by Julian_Williams
1 hour ago, DtotheK said:

There's a bloody big difference between "may" and "will". Especially when it's a slightly weird sentence for a native English speaker. You'd expect either "You will have to wait" or "We cannot comment on XRP" not "may have to wait". 

People are jumping on this way too much, to the extent that I saw someone interpreting it as code that there'll be an announcement in "May". SMH

Having said all of that, I do believe they will use XRP in the future, like many others. But can ignore this tweet entirely.

So you are assuming the tweeter is someone who has learned and used English from early childhood? I would think english is probably his/ her 2nd or 3rd language.

Been known for a while now that this bank were going to use multi hop 

15 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

I can see both sides of this. The original sentence can be read in more than one way but to my mind "May" refers to the  date of the announcement that XRP is being used, not whether or not they will be using XRP.   For instance the opposite is "may not" have to wait, because the announcment that XRP is being used is due any moment now.    The sentence seems to be about how long we will have to wait for the announcement that XRP is being used, it is not whether SCB may decide to use XRP at a later date.

The title of the article rightly says it is a "hint" of an announcment.

I don't disagree that it could be a hint and I do not wish to dismiss other's interpretations. However addressing your point of it being a question of time, if my piers ask me if I will attend a social event and I say that I may and I will let them know later - it indeed could be a time dependent variable and that I later do go. It could also be that I will not attend as something else comes up. On top of that, I have experienced many people who speak English as a second language (fluently) who have used may/will interchangeably (not to say this individual has). By my opinion I am not stating they will not - only that I believe that it may or may not be a hint. Maybe i'm just reading too far into it :sorry2:

Edited by Rust
sp.
2 hours ago, Trentsteel said:

So you are assuming the tweeter is someone who has learned and used English from early childhood? I would think english is probably his/ her 2nd or 3rd language.

Been known for a while now that this bank were going to use multi hop 

I didn't assume anything. I was actually speaking generally, from my own perspective on behalf of native speakers that the sentence is just slightly odd. "May have to wait" actually means either you'll have to wait for it to be announced, or you won't have to wait for it to be announced (i.e. will be announced right now) - either way it's getting announced. Which I don't think was the intention. I agree re. multihop. 

14 minutes ago, Montoya said:

Was a time on here that people used to discuss technology, system architecture, monetary theory, trade theory. etc. Now we argue over adoption rumors and split grammatical hairs over a tweet. 

Its not a rumour.  It is a tweet from the Bank of Thailand which has significant news content.  The problem is that is a bit ambiguous which maybe to do with langauge difficulties.