tony71

Thinking of selling XRP for BTC

6 minutes ago, fatlever said:

Generally when I see people posting about fundamentals in crypto, it's a sign that they talking out their ass.

In stocks fundamental analysis is based on revenues, profits, growth, competitors and debts.  It's almost impossible to do fundamental analysis on cryptos based on those aspects.  In cryptos the closest thing to fundamental analysis is network  growth and utility.  But even that is hard to measure because Ripple consistently hypes up pilot programs.

Huuum.. how about you reread what he wrote. He said 'Ripple's fundamentals are sound'. You're spewing off about, and talking about 'fundamental analysis' three times.

A fundamental is a principle on which something is based. Ripple's principles are sound. Nowhere was qualitative/quantitative variables mentioned.

14 minutes ago, MegaNerd said:

Huuum.. how about you reread what he wrote. He said 'Ripple's fundamentals are sound'. You're spewing off about, and talking about 'fundamental analysis' three times.

A fundamental is a principle on which something is based. Ripple's principles are sound. Nowhere was qualitative/quantitative variables mentioned.

He said "the fundamentals look great."  For the valuation of an asset this means looking at the revenues, profits, growth, competitors and debts, etc.  Fundamental analysis is just a more technical term.  

People here are always talking about how XRP fundamentals look great without anything to back it up, rationalizing that they are an intelligent crypto investor and XRP is undervalued.  And as I stated, they are talking out their ass.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, fatlever said:

He said "the fundamentals look great."  For the valuation of an asset this means looking at the revenues, profits, growth, competitors and debts, etc.  Fundamental analysis is just a more technical term.  

People here are always talking about how XRP fundamentals look great without anything to back it up, rationalizing that they are an intelligent crypto investor and XRP is undervalued.  And as I stated, they are talking out their ass.

Youre looking into it too much, either to pick a fight because you had a bad day, or as you said, trying to rationalize your own intelligence. He used the word fundamental in an extremely loose sense pointing out that it is a common mistake for some investors to only invest based on price.

Where are you getting your information from that people talk about XRP 'looking great without anything to back it up'? Have you read the boards quoting actual DD on the endless progress Ripple is making daily?

And if youre going to start quoting, quote correctly. He said 'Ripple's fundamentals are sound', not great.

Edited by MegaNerd

2 minutes ago, MegaNerd said:

Youre looking into it too much, either to pick a fight because you had a bad day, or as you said, trying to rationalize your own intelligence. He used the word fundamental in an extremely loose sense pointing out that it is a common mistake for some investors to only invest based on price.

And if youre going to start quoting, quote correctly. He said 'Ripple's fundamentals are sound', not great.

I have an issue with this because people here are always saying XRP's fundamentals are sound/great, etc without anything to back it up.  XRPs fundamentals are great to them whether XRP is at $3.00, $2.00, $1.00 or $0.50.  It's buy buy buy.  They don't have any data to back up those fundamentals.  They don't even know what it means and it seems you don't either.

34 minutes ago, MegaNerd said:

A fundamental is a principle on which something is based. 

When it comes to investing, that is not what fundamentals are.  It's not a loose term.  It's something used for the valuation of an asset.  

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/fundamental/03/022603.asp

People are just coming up with arbitrary definition of a financial term and have been referencing it for 15 months saying XRP is undervalued.  I am calling that out.

1 minute ago, fatlever said:

I have an issue with this because people here are always saying XRP's fundamentals are sound/great, etc without anything to back it up.  XRPs fundamentals are great to them whether XRP is at $3.00, $2.00, $1.00 or $0.50.  It's buy buy buy.  They don't have any data to back up those fundamentals.  They don't even know what it means and it seems you don't either.

When it comes to investing, that is not what fundamentals are.  It's not a loose term.  It's something used for the valuation of an asset.  

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/fundamental/03/022603.asp

People are just coming up with arbitrary definition of a financial term and have been referencing it for 15 months saying XRP is undervalued.  I am calling that out.

Kind of difficult to take you seriously when your username is Fatlever. Nah mean?

29 minutes ago, MegaNerd said:

Kind of difficult to take you seriously when your username is Fatlever. Nah mean?

But he has a point. Does ripple fundamentals really look good? We are basing all this on their future potential utilities which is not even 100%

all I head when the price goes down future is to buy or it’s the “big institutions bringing the price down on purpose to get the little guys to sell” you know how many time I have heard this the last 15 months 

Just now, tony71 said:

But he has a point. Does ripple fundamentals really look good? We are basing all this on their future potential utilities which is not even 100%

all I head when the price goes down future is to buy or it’s the “big institutions bringing the price down on purpose to get the little guys to sell” you know how many time I have heard this the last 15 months 

I dont see any point being made besides semantics which any level headed individual can understand the original meaning of 'fundamental'.

@XRPto50dollars didnt use the words good or great. He said SOUND, not perfect. Sound, and I have never once heard him ever say, “big institutions bringing the price down on purpose to get the little guys to sell” nor have I ever heard him say BUY BUY BUY.

2 hours ago, fatlever said:

Generally when I see people posting about fundamentals in crypto, it's a sign that they talking out their ass.

In stocks fundamental analysis is based on revenues, profits, growth, competitors and debts.  It's almost impossible to do fundamental analysis on cryptos based on those aspects.  In cryptos the closest thing to fundamental analysis is network  growth and utility.  But even that is hard to measure because Ripple consistently hypes up pilot programs.

@MegaNerd is right though.  I'm not capable of doing a technical trading analysis on cryptos.  When I say 'it doesn't make fundamental sense to me' I'm talking about the long term use case.  I understand Ripple's business plan, so I understand why XRP would be used or have demand.  I don't understand the business case for BTC, but I do recognize it has attracted demand for its product, I just don't know why.  I literally meant that I don't understand BTC at its base level, hence my use of the term 'fundamental'.

I've spent six months trying to value XRP using fundamental analysis by way of any and every resource I can find. I have made posts on this forum trying to discuss that subject and got zero responses. I believe I've read most everything there is on the subject except for a couple of recent grad school papers I couldn't easily lay my hands on. My conclusion, we're in uncharted waters.

XRP is great tech. Understood. The Ripple use case is great. The idea that maybe many other payment and settlement situations can be handled by XRP is very sound.

But currencies don't generate revenue. They appreciate or decline in value based on the willingness of someone to hold them preferentially over  some competitor....dollars, BTC, gold.

There are several obvious challenges in addition to that big one. Pre-mined coins come with a set total supply. XRP has a big one. How do non-XRP experts look at that? Here's the kneejerk response....compare it to BTC. Or try to compare it to stocks.

Stupid, I know, but with no good yardstick, you use what you got. Because people with a finance education don't begin to appreciate the problem set with BTC or understand why it was necessary to pre-mine coins. All they see is supply, and they come from a background in stocks, where huge supply is considered a big negative.

And then you have Ripple, which is where most of the good news comes from on XRP......great company, but XRP is a currency, not stock in a company. Ripple is set to generate plenty of revenue, I'm sure. But Ripple is not XRP, and the two are only tangentially connected.

These factors combine to produce.....uncertainty. For XRP price to appreciate, there needs to be a perception that large institutions like the banks themselves or big investors want to own it. And, as far as I can see, those entities NEED to find a way to value XRP that helps them decide how much to buy and what they're willing to pay. That's why Black Rock scooped up Robbie Mitchnick.  Important players are very eager to develop the tools for this....but it's a brand new area in finance.

6 hours ago, MegaNerd said:

I dont see any point being made besides semantics which any level headed individual can understand the original meaning of 'fundamental'.

@XRPto50dollars didnt use the words good or great. He said SOUND, not perfect. Sound, and I have never once heard him ever say, “big institutions bringing the price down on purpose to get the little guys to sell” nor have I ever heard him say BUY BUY BUY.

I didn’t mean  @XRPto50dollars said it.  I meant this is what I have been hearing in general.  

12 hours ago, fatlever said:

..opinions are always welcome. i meant it as benign as possible, not trying to toot my horn (lost my horn at the Battle of Belmont in 1861)

On 4/22/2019 at 10:52 PM, tony71 said:

And then buy back XRP next year. BTC will be leading the market and will XRP go with it but I don't see it getting even close to $1.

Now on the other hand, I think mid year 2021 we may start seeing XRP move.

Sell...Im buying now. 😉

14 hours ago, Kalarie said:

I have to admit, these prolonged periods of xrp dropping against btc always leave me confused.  Other than being a gateway to other cryptos, what drives people to buy btc?  Surely crypto has been out long enough that people in the market don't think it's the only coin to hold right?  This is why I can't do short term trading.  xrp losing to btc doesn't make any fundamental sense to me.

This market is all based on BTC at the moment and the foreseeable future UNTIL use cases are flourishing and ecosystems are widespread for assets like XRP.  The demand that does exist for XRP does not move market price like it does for assets with far more limited circulations.  And the biggest whale Ripple sells tens of millions every quarter as they publish and that likely has been some effect over time as well.