Jump to content
BobWay

Chat: [Study Group] General Welcome Discussion

Recommended Posts

Sorry I have been so quiet, but I've been having a great time with family today.

But that hasn't stopped me from reading all of your introductions as you have been typing them. I just wanted to drop in to tell you how excited I am to have you all gathering here. Each introduction makes me prouder to be launching this project!

I'll respond to each of you individually when I get home. But until then, I hope you'll use this thread to get to know each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BobWay said:

Sorry I have been so quiet, but I've been having a great time with family today.

But that hasn't stopped me from reading all of your introductions as you have been typing them. I just wanted to drop in to tell you how excited I am to have you all gathering here. Each introduction makes me prouder to be launching this project!

I'll respond to each of you individually when I get home. But until then, I hope you'll use this thread to get to know each other.

Glad to hear, you have been spending time with family. I just returned from family dinner.

This kinda feels like, when I was back in university and first day of classes. 

Im looking forward to graduating from "Way University" lol. 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MADDOG28 said:

This kinda feels like, when I was back in university and first day of classes. 

It does feel like that doesn't it.  So exciting!

Please everyone read the other member's introduction posts. If you see someone from your region, language, or culture, please introduce yourself here or via personal message. I'd like you all to consider forming some regional teams. Both for learning support, and second to leverage each other's skills in adapting the study material to your region and audience.

I'll help get the study group discussions started. But I really need a commitment from all of you to continue the discussion with others. That is the only thing that will make this project truly worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to start somewhere so I suggest time zones with the Americas forming one group, Europe and Africa forming the second and Australasia with Asia forming the third.  If you work night shifts in your continent or have any other reason to switch then coolio.

@ScottLoveForCrypto

@XRPSIMBA

@PeterC

@LLAC3

@SPQRLee

@XRPAfrica

I guess that makes us team GMT to GMT+4 which has a certain ring to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VoteForTomorrow said:

We have to start somewhere so I suggest time zones with the Americas forming one group, Europe and Africa forming the second and Australasia with Asia forming the third.  If you work night shifts in your continent or have any other reason to switch then coolio.

Yeah, I'd really like to hear some great brainstorming on this topic. I hate that everyone can't be in the same "room" at the same time. It kind of feels like some come "first" and others come later. I absolutely don't want to imply that. If we do multiple sessions of the same topic, perhaps we rotate which region goes first.

I'm happy to do the same material three times. But actually, twice would be better. If anyone has ever figured out how to make that work with a worldwide audience, please comment here about what you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BobWay said:

Yeah, I'd really like to hear some great brainstorming on this topic. I hate that everyone can't be in the same "room" at the same time. It kind of feels like some come "first" and others come later. I absolutely don't want to imply that. If we do multiple sessions of the same topic, perhaps we rotate which region goes first.

I'm happy to do the same material three times. But actually, twice would be better. If anyone has ever figured out how to make that work with a worldwide audience, please comment here about what you know.

Hi Bob, just starting to dig into the content.  I like the direction you are going.  One idea might be to create a group calendar with suggested meeting times that work for you/your-plan, then people can opt-in for times that work for them, or recommend a better time.

This might enable you to get a read on whether most people are looking to contribute nights, weekends or other.  

From reading the intro posts, it sounds like most people have day jobs, and possible other commitments (IE. I'm always busy Monday & Wednesday nights with class).

Some sort of calendar mapping might help teams gel organically - and help you identify a rotation schedule that works. 

At this point I am watching your vision come to life, as it evolves - meeting times, needs, etc...more will become clear.

Until then, I have a lot of reading to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BobWay said:

I'm happy to do the same material three times. But actually, twice would be better. If anyone has ever figured out how to make that work with a worldwide audience, please comment here about what you know.

I attended an online poker school a couple of years ago which was created by one guy with a lot of knowledge who wanted to share that knowledge with a lot of people around the world and his system was very good.  I will gloss over his system so you can see if there's anything you want from it.

To teach the core material he went through aspects of poker step by step with 6 guys and recorded each hour long session.  Then he posted these videos to his website so when later students came along they could go through the syllabus without him having to rehash old material himself every week which spread the knowledge without him needing to be there.  For example he had a section called "Flop Play" where he would go through the different types of hands and how to play them on the flop (when the first three community cards appear).  There were hour long videos for A2s-A9s which would include flush draws or flush draws with a pair and/or straight draw etc.  Then he would have an hour long video for overpairs like how to play AA on K72 flop or JJ on T98 etc.  He would speak almost non-stop for an hour to get through the material and fielded very few questions.

Then he taught a second 1-2-1 session with each of his students going through problem hands relating to the topic that week.  This would give the students more of a chance to ask questions about the material and go through hands in greater detail.

Perhaps you could pick an aspect of Ripplenet you want to focus on and do a short 15-30 minute prep video very quickly glossing over what you want to share and then post that video to youtube or whatever.  Then our job will be to watch the video and prepare at least one question each (?) about the topic which would be anything from standard, "What did ABC mean?" to more deep questions like, "Could ABC connect with DEF via ILP to create ZYX?"  A day or two after the prep video is released you could host a longer, recorded question and answer session.  This would allow students of all abilities the chance to digest the material in their own time and ask questions pertinent to their understanding, without you having to go over material again and again and post those to youtube too.  By the time you finish you should have a syllabus library made up of a short(ish) video about a core topic paired with a longer question and answer video which should cover most questions regarding the topic.

If you use teamviewer for the sessions it will allow many, many people to attend the sessions and it has functions like "raise hand" and you can unmute them to ask the question and there's a box for attendees to type in if they prefer to ask questions that way.  It also allows you to send invites to the sessions so you won't get flooded with hundreds of random people from outside the study group.

Bilingual students can teach and record their own sessions about the material and others can create blogs in other languages covering the material which could all be posted on one central intelligence website which could be the oracle for all things Ripplenetty.

Edited by VoteForTomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AllThingsXRP_George said:

One idea might be to create a group calendar with suggested meeting times that work for you/your-plan, then people can opt-in for times that work for them, or recommend a better time.

Turns out there is a calendar feature for this club, so I just turned it on. You'll find it as a new tab.

I'm not sure the best way to use it as a tool but anyone is welcome to try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VoteForTomorrow said:

Perhaps you could pick an aspect of Ripplenet you want to focus on and do a short 15-30 minute prep video very quickly glossing over what you want to share and then post that video to youtube or whatever.

That's a pretty clever suggestion and doesn't clash too much with the original vision in my head. Let me ponder that while I make some coffee....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@VoteForTomorrow You bring some really great idea's to helping sort this problem out. I like the way you mentioned the Prep video & thus helping build a good question base. Seeing as Bob doesn't really have a syllabus as per say. The questions we ask Bob before he presents the full in-depth topic will be crucial for helping him build a general guide line & foundation for the lesson. So as such,  I think the more intricate we make the questions (even as silly or ridiculous as they may sound) it would defiantly help in the long run, as these questions can also be answered later with a way more in depth answer, because we will have a better understanding of the Tech further down the line.

I do like the Timezone Idea. I think it is a great idea, but we would need to make sure we don't burn Bob out. He is doing this from the goodness of heart, for many weeks, in a row :P. He will get tired, as his brain will be in a hyper drive state, answering all of our question... So maybe to try & break it down into 2 groups. Why don't we run the Time Zone Idea & to turn it into only 2 groups; do one group presentation on the weekend. Friday or Saturday. I know that I have sacrificed my weekends to the Crypto & as such, always willing to burn the midnight oil on the weekends, no matter the time of the day really. I'm sure there are a lot of other people who are either using the weekend time to learn about Crypto or Trade it. Both can consumer your hours on the weekend. So lets see if we can make a group of "All Weekend-er" if the opportunity arises :)

 

 

P.s @VoteForTomorrow I like the "G" part of the GMT's :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 5:04 PM, VoteForTomorrow said:

We have to start somewhere so I suggest time zones with the Americas forming one group, Europe and Africa forming the second and Australasia with Asia forming the third.  If you work night shifts in your continent or have any other reason to switch then coolio.

@ScottLoveForCrypto

@XRPSIMBA

@PeterC

@LLAC3

@SPQRLee

@XRPAfrica

I guess that makes us team GMT to GMT+4 which has a certain ring to it.

Great suggestion my friend regarding the time zone idea. 

Could I possibly suggest that we should consider splitting the skill sets within each group. 

Example being:

1. Blogger

1. Social media personality

1. Technical person

1. YouTuber

1. Group leader

1. Teacher

1. Translators in multiple regions 

The reason I suggest this is because we can cover so many more topics if we distribute the resource efficiently.

Then maybe each group ‘team’ can brainstorm on what topic to cover and can then tap into @BobWay‘s knowledge on the chosen topic, to then create some fantastic content across all platforms.

Just throwing an idea out there friends.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ! The simple fact that people are so involved in the organization shows the great enthusiasm of each of us. Personally, I think that the session calendar can give a good indication of when people are most free to participate. People could vote " I want to participate in this session" and indicate the level at which they want to participate (round table, live audience, etc.). This will give a first general idea.

ps : Sorry for my english, i try to do the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SPQRLee said:

Great suggestion my friend regarding the time zone idea. 

Could I possibly suggest that we should consider splitting the skill sets within each group. 

Example being:

1. Blogger

1. Social media personality

1. Technical person

1. YouTuber

1. Group leader

1. Teacher

1. Translators in multiple regions 

The reason I suggest this is because we can cover so many more topics if we distribute the resource efficiently.

Then maybe each group ‘team’ can brainstorm on what topic to cover and can then tap into @BobWay‘s knowledge on the chosen topic, to then create some fantastic content across all platforms.

Just throwing an idea out there friends.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

I like this.

8 hours ago, BobWay said:

That's a pretty clever suggestion and doesn't clash too much with the original vision in my head. Let me ponder that while I make some coffee....

8 hours of coffee, Bob?  You gotta be freaking tweaked by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VoteForTomorrow said:

8 hours of coffee, Bob?  You gotta be freaking tweaked by now.

Yeah, sorry. Wasn't feeling particularly terrific today. After getting through some email, I decided to sleep it off.

Just sitting down now reading the posts.

I like the discussion that is going on here. Please keep going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LLAC3 said:

Hi ! The simple fact that people are so involved in the organization shows the great enthusiasm of each of us. Personally, I think that the session calendar can give a good indication of when people are most free to participate. People could vote " I want to participate in this session" and indicate the level at which they want to participate (round table, live audience, etc.). This will give a first general idea.

I stared some new threads so that everyone can express their personal preferences. Also so that someone could coordinate the process and work out a good compromise for everyone.

Please use the calendar in this forum if it is helpful. If you can't post to it, let me know. I'll try to open it up to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...