XRPayments

So when I generate the qr code how is the customer paying me - by scanning the code via xrp tipbot app? I feel like there needs to be some rebranding or a separate app as it's not really only a tip app anymore, serves multiple use cases now. And iirc the tipbot app was limited to 20 xrp max, should be much higher if it starts targeting retail payments (not sure how would deal with money laundering then though)/

Anyway, great stuff from Wietse though, as usual. The app is still a bit glitchy in terms of UI looking a bit messy on my phone, but it's the initial version after all.

// Edit - just seen that the max XRP on the tipbot app was increased to 400 XRP so it should work ok for small payments.

Edited by iLeeT

I have some of the same concerns as iLEET.  I have a business and just downloaded xrptipbot, and this new xrpayments app... well what app does the customer use to scan my QR code??  I am having troubles with this, it's confusing.  Also.. if i am in a business where the product is a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, is this able to be used or am i wasting my time trying to learn how to offer it to customers

33 minutes ago, Phintech said:

Gotta start somewhere.  

The average person, who works Monday through Friday, fourty plus hours a week, has to fight 40+ minutes of traffic back and forth every morning and evening (including the time in taking and picking up lil Jimmy from school), isn't going find X exchange, go through the overly burdensome AML and KYC requirements these exchanges have, which are more stringent than what your bank or credit union are obligated to follow, buy XRP (plus the exchange's and network's fee) so they can buy a pizza, a condom, toothpaste, fidget spinner, a new bicycle, or car part.  I know this is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for many of you, but some of you need cold water splashed on you to sober you up and bring you back into reality. 

Edited by TheXRPer

wait i am confused... first he says

but then he says

is it just xrp<->xrp with a 'value equivalent' label, or does it actually do conversion to fiat?

2 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

wait i am confused... first he says

but then he says

is it just xrp<->xrp with a 'value equivalent' label, or does it actually do conversion to fiat?

I love how everyone got super excited by this thread, but no one knows what the app does. lmfao I don't even...

@zerpdigger it's the value equivalent label so that you don't do the math yourself when you are paying, at the end of the day it's just an XRP on chain transfer from one wallet to another, what you are going to do with the received zerps is up to you. I'm not sure what exchange Wietse uses for the value calculation though, I've asked him on twitter, he might reply soon.

I agree with @TheXRPer - barely anyone would use that, but I see it more or less as an advertisement/brand thing. For example, at our pizza place there are hundreds of people coming in and out each month so having a label similar to the Visa etc. ones might make some of the customers curious a bit about XRP and crypto in general. 

Edited by iLeeT

18 minutes ago, TheXRPer said:

The average person, who works Monday through Friday, fourty plus hours a week, has to fight 40+ minutes of traffic back and forth every morning and evening (including the time in taking and picking up lil Jimmy from school), isn't going find X exchange, go through the overly burdensome AML and KYC requirements these exchanges have, which are more stringent than what your bank or credit union are obligated to follow, buy XRP (plus the exchange's and network's fee) so they can buy a pizza, a condom, toothpaste, fidget spinner, a new bicycle, or car part.  I know this is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for many of you, but some of you need cold water splashed on you to sober you up and bring you back into reality. 

I’ve NEVER viewed XRP as cash or currency, we have plenty of those.  I’ve also NEVER expected it to be used for P2P payments.  But if it does happen (years from now) then it’s just icing on the cake.

XRP is a protocol of value transfer for the IoV, first and foremost.

So relax a bit and hang on to your “cold water”.  I don’t need your “reality checks”.

Edited by Phintech

It allows a retailer to accept a payment of XRP.

If I have a small sandwhich shop and a customer comes in I can make his sandwhich and chips and tell him $9.84 cents.....

if that customer wants to pay $9.84 in XRP the app will auto calculate that amount to XRP from USD.

it will also do the other currencies.  

I see Retailers using SQUARE app in the same mannor for credit card payments or app payments like Chick-fil-a new APP - called ONE 

The point for me is that I'd rather have it out there and working/testing/improving than not have it out there.  May not be the end all be all, but it shows progression on all fronts, not just in supply chain, forex, remittance, and banking.  Those things we know about.  One never knows what starts a viral fire/awareness anyway.  

i just downloaded the app, but do not have tip bot set up yet. I’m going to set that up tonight, and I will gladly accept payment via xrp at my business. (however, personally, at this point in time, I would never pay anyone else via xrp, I’d rather hold on to my personal stash, but if someone wants to give up theirs, I’ll accept it for sure!) I use QuickBooks for merchant services right now, It’d be nice if there was a plug in to accept crypto from there! When I email invoices, I can only accept cc or bank transfer online right now.