What Is Different About XRP?

I explained above where my numbers came from, but thanks for your input.

Messari estimate of circulating supply: 15.4B XRP.......17.5M BTC . That gives a multiplier of 880.

15.4B/17.5M = 880

On a BTC price of $5000 that gives $5.68, actually.

5000/880 = 5.68

I don't agree that total supply future available should play , at this time, in this estimate . I think that's a mistake actually. It's an assumption I'm willing to make.  Let's say that much, anyway. 

Edited by dr_ed
corrected BTC Messari circulating supply, typo
11 hours ago, Odiseo said:

your calculations seems to be a little bias towards XRP :),  if you want to do this kind of comparisons you could do it fairer 

XRP circulating supply is actually close to 2000X, that would make your actual expectation based on current supply more like XRP at 2.1$, not 5$, when Bitcoin is at 5k$

Also if you think Bitcoin and XRP should have similar value currently, I think you could also look at total supply, 21 million vs 100 Billion,

in that case Bitcoin at 5k$ would be equivalent to XRP at 1$. That would probably be a more fair comparison.

Interesting to think about guys.

whether the circulating supply is 1000x or 2000x aren’t we making the assumption under either scenario that XRP and BTC market dominance is the same?  ...For the respective approximate values of 5$ or 1$.

Now we may see XRP become as large or far greater than BTC in years to come...(that’s really why a lot of us are here spending time with strangers pontificating these sorts of things:))

Edited by Excerpts
7 hours ago, Excerpts said:

whether the circulating supply is 1000x or 2000x aren’t we making the assumption under either scenario that XRP and BTC market dominance is the same?  ...For the respective approximate values of 5$ or 1$.

I agree, for me it was only an exercise, I don’t do and I don’t like price predictions.

About Bitcoin vs XRP, I think they could coexist, but I do think they overlap and compete in some usecases. I support XRP for different reasons, but I recognize that Bitcoin has currently more dominance, outside the crypto world most have heard of Bitcoin, very few of XRP. My view is that if XRP manages to develop the use cases currently in development by Ripple and other companies, even without taking into account future use cases, it has the potencial of surpassing Bitcoin.

1 hour ago, Odiseo said:

About Bitcoin vs XRP, I think they could coexist,

I think so as well.  BTC will be a store of value I think, provided fiats are continually losing value by printing presses. XRP will be used for rapid micro transactions (and institutional size transactions of course).  Just as an example, there are traders who prefer BTC but utilize XRP for sending the funds from one exchange to another to convert back into fiat etc.  we all know the speed of this transaction using XRP.  

And because of the speed there is much less risk on conversion to fiat by first trading BTC for XRP then to fiat or vice versa.

one could use an exchange such as Coinbase to go directly to fiat but the trade off there are the fees associated with that conversion

On 4/14/2019 at 6:53 AM, Odiseo said:

I agree, for me it was only an exercise, I don’t do and I don’t like price predictions.

About Bitcoin vs XRP, I think they could coexist, but I do think they overlap and compete in some usecases. I support XRP for different reasons, but I recognize that Bitcoin has currently more dominance, outside the crypto world most have heard of Bitcoin, very few of XRP. My view is that if XRP manages to develop the use cases currently in development by Ripple and other companies, even without taking into account future use cases, it has the potencial of surpassing Bitcoin.

That was my original premise....that IF one thought XRP was as valuable as BTC, then you could make an apples-to-apples comparison in the way I described. I do consider XRP equal in value to BTC, so it makes sense to me. It's a rough comparison, but there aren't many ways to put a price on XRP, period.  In my view that's a big part of why it's mispriced now.

I expect POW coins to go the way of the dinosaurs in fairly short order, although BTC might hang in for a while.  I don't think the things that are wrong with it can be fixed, and therefore it will eventually fall by the wayside for any purpose other than possibly as a store of wealth. But that doesn't matter in 2019. We aren't there yet.

As of right now BTC is still the yardstick to measure everything else.

I'm looking at the action the last couple of days.....I'd call it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Traders are having better luck with just about anything...why buy the dips in XRP? Even the bounces are disappointing.

No FOMO on XRP, so the new longs coming in to the market aren't impressed unless they're people who do their homework. That'd be almost nobody.

Most XRP hodlrs have had ample opportunity to buy as much as they want at bargain basement prices. I know some people dollar cost average and buy some every month...but that's not enough to drive price.I stopped a while back and just add about 250XRP/month now, from interest payments.

If I had to guess it will move in a dramatic way, and it will happen on news.....but since we continue to get good news almost daily, it will be some larger news catalyst...not sure what, but I am curious. I can feel it coming. Not sure when....but nothing makes me want to reduce my position. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.