heartbit_io

Old members still active what are your thought on ripple and RCL ?

10 hours ago, heartbit_io said:

I'm wondering who is still active here and is following ripple before xrpchat exists and even before xrptalk existed ^^

I guess that would include me.  I owned XRP as soon as the first wave of distributions happened on bitcointalk forum.  That's where I was trying to learn more about which was the "next" bitcoin. 

I'm still long on XRP, as long as a couple key company members don't give up, neither will I.  Got to admit, if you'd told me in 2013 that 2017 would roll around with no appreciable increase in my investment value, I might have made some different decisions, but I'm still a true believer. 

33 minutes ago, kanaas said:

without wasting energy on an idiotic mining - energy that is contributing nada to humanity.

This was also one of the selling points for me.  It seemed like humanity could "do better" than how bitcoin was doing it. 

I joined the community somewhere 2013/2014, and inspired by the idea of trustline network by Ryan Fuger (Classic Ripple)

I like the consensus speed of RCL, but i always in doubt about the demand of XRP except as a anti-spam token.

through out this time i had been reminding others that the price of XRP could keep falling even if RL and RCL having great success.

I always see RCL as a platform for developing a global payment network, especially for cross-currency/borders.

But sadly to say, during these time most gateway are operating almost in isolated way, each only focus on their own, with very little communication between them. Markets on RCL are fragmented. User-base are mostly from crypto-community where their main concern are trading XRP instead of making payment via RCL.

to build a healthy ecosystem, what we actually need is people or gateway that's willing to extend RCL with different kind of application and services.

By far i can see RippleFox is doing a good job. They had impliment Federal-Protocol payment that's connecting RCL to Alipay and banks, which allow people to transact CNY in/out the network with minimal cost... they even allow users to send money to other BTC exchanges, (this is the network co-operation that's i like)... and they have a financial product FMM. 

Gatehub is another good example, by providing hosting wallet to end-users, and services to help people building new gateway.

We need more gateways like Ripplefox and Gatehub in order make RCL a better place as payment platform.

Edited by ripplerm

4 hours ago, ripplerm said:

I joined the community somewhere 2013/2014, and inspired by the idea of trustline network by Ryan Fuger (Classic Ripple)

Couldn't agree more, I stumbled upon Ripple while researching the intersection of Crowdfunding and Insurance late 13/early 14. The ides of a trustline network also inspired me a good bit.

The idea of being able to make markets directly between two IOUs, and have all those markets on one ledger, enabling  the ability to "stack markets" via multi-hop pathfinding, is also exciting. 

I have enjoyed reading your stuff over the past. 

Guest OurTime

Followed starting with Jed's announcement on bitcointalk, begged someone on the board to fund my wallet, since I was late to signing up for the forum, and after first use, believed Ripple would change the world: I found the trust lines obtrusive, overly complicated, and too confusing for most people, but was beyond thrilled with the speed of transfer, which was remarkable, especially at a time when bitcoin took 30+ minutes for transactions. I was also very happy that XRP didn't destroy the environment in the way bitcoin does with power usage for mining. 

I agree that the feeling was one of excitement, like knowing what the future would be before it arrived. 

At the time, I thought it would take five years before anything major, and committed to holding for that long, painfully sitting through it going to $.1 in late November/ early December of 2013, and the following crash, fallout, and chaos.

Now that it's been nearly five years, without seeing real usage this year, I will seriously consider reducing my holdings. The (previous) lack of transparency and communication makes XRP a maddening investment.

Do like the recent developments, and Miguel is saying the right things. Like the attempts to connect with the community too, but unless there is something incredible behind the curtains, so much time has been lost. 

It's like a parent leaving their kid for half a decade during the formative years, then coming back and hoping that the relationship will be great. While it's possible, the amount of effort needed to repair the damage is going to be exponentially more than if there was steady support along the way. And no matter what happens in the future, some level of unrepairable damage is already done. 

My biggest mistake has been believing too much. Although I'm diversified, if I had been more-so, with all the amazing ICOs -- not going all in on Ethereum really hurts, as such an opportunity doesn't come along everyday -- XRP could go to zero, and I wouldn't have any regrets, cause let's face it, the company is likely to succeed on some scale, and employees will be taken care of through VC funding, and other revenue models -- us small holders are taking on asymmetric risk with asymmetric and deeply incomplete knowledge/information because we believed after using the technology.  

There are so many more things I could say regarding corporate structure, incentive structure, alignment, approach, marketing, narrative, price, and progress, but most of those things have already been said, and are not helpful re: Ripple. While those lessons may help the 2.0 group, and already have greatly helped Ethereum, we can't turn back time regarding XRP, so have to do the best with what and where it is.

The one thing I'll add is asking this question: Who are the early adopters of XRP? I don't know at this point. But without evangelists, the people that go well out of their way to tell others about your product, it's hard to succeed. How many on this board still feel comfortable telling their friends to invest in XRP? And if not, why not? 

I will also say that after four years the feeling is now one of talk is talk. Show me empirical proof of real usage and a steady and sustained price increase tied to a corresponding increase in liquidity. That's all that matters. 

Despite these critiques, I can't imagine how difficult it has been for folks that have been working on the project from day 1. For that, the employees deserve a lot of credit. Also seems that Interledger is a game changer, one that I hope will gain major traction and positively change the world.

Edited by OurTime

Hi,

Im following ripple from the beginning and was active at both xrptalk as the official forum, mostly under the name "Bambino". I did a lot of trading at rippletrade and bitstamp, but sold most of my xrp when it went x5, and repeated that 2 times (also lost when it crashed but recovered the loss buy buying at the bottom). Im a big fan for ripple, but i have to say the last year my optimism has vanished for most parts.

And to be honest, even during the initial phase, i wasnt fully happy about the way ripple communicated towards its followers. Their communication always seemed to focus on big banks, companies and so on, and they never gave any of their followers much attention. The official forum sucks big time and is (and has always been) almost dead. For some reason they just dont seem to care about people following ripple and yes i understand we are not at most importance for them, but i really think that having a good fanbase is very important for a company...

Then offcourse the JED fail happened and yes they survived it without much problems, but still the already huge negative look towards ripple by most people even became worse. The trade volume nowadays also seems to go to zero, and yes you still see x million xrp been traded every day, but if you look closely most of that is from auto-traders/bots who buy and sell same amounts in a matter of minutes.

The other part which worries me a lot is that i dont see any purpose of xrp when i look at the future of ripple. And yes Ripple mentioned a few things as why xrp would be of importance for banks and other institutes but to be fully honest that does sound a bit like bullshit to me. If you look closely most banks will probably never use xrp or at least not in the big numbers xrp followers where hoping for.

But ok maybe things will change and hopefully i see things wrong. I still have around 1 million xrp in my pocket and will not sell them till they become 1usd a piece hehe.

cheers

Robin

On 27/02/2017 at 10:39 AM, ripplerm said:

The trust line system is so (still is) complicated imo.

I started with Computing for Good. I am still very positive. I have no regrets for missing out on other crypto projects which I think are basically P and D bubbles.

Ripple continues to show focused effort toward its goals. I think many people underestimate the scale and scope of the project. I don't think there is any way for a privet digital token to become a  global vehicle currency without spending many years laying the groundwork. There is no doubt that XRP is high risk, but Ripple seems to continually make progress with their tech and business strategies. I haven't noticed any red flags, so I am about as happy as I could be. :acute:

5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

uhh...maybe if you use the wrong set of accounting rules. You should be marking to market daily.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/marktomarket.asp

You are kidding, right? Your link already explains the problem with this:

Problems can arise when the market-based measurement does not accurately reflect the underlying asset's true value. [...] For example, if the liquidity is low or investors are fearful, the current selling price of a bank's assets could be much lower than the actual value.

I consider the true value of XRP to be higher than that of BTC. Swapping my XRP for BTC at today's price (exiting) will mean I no longer own the assets of which I think the value will drastically go up in comparison to BTC.

Edited by lucky

Mark-to-market policy should be applied on stable markets, which crypto is not.

To me the TRUE value of XRP is somehwere between $1 and $10 and I don't care too much that the market does not see it the same way right now. I can wait for that...