xrpempire

Where is the best place to find and hire programmers with experience in XRPL

Where can I find quality programmers to build projects that interact with the XRPL and/or Interledger?
What kind of programming languages do they need in order to build applications/Dapps for the XRP ecosystem? 
Other than places like Upwork - where is the best place to find and HIRE such programmers with experience in XRPL?

Where can I find quality programmers to build projects that interact with the XRPL and/or Interledger?
What kind of programming languages do they need in order to build applications/Dapps for the XRP ecosystem? 
Other than places like Upwork - where is the best place to find and HIRE such programmers with experience in XRPL?
@ripple [emoji3]

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, xrpempire said:

You might want to check out the XRP-Ledger Developer Portal and Interledger Protocol websites. You also may want to check out the latest Interledger Protocol Connector implementation that is currently in beta, called Rafiki. Also, there is a newly create Interledger Forum created by the founders of the Interledger.

As far as finding some of the best programmers to build projects that interact with the XRP-Ledger, I'm afraid @kanaas is correct. The vast majority all work Ripple and they don't like to share!!! All jokes aside, have you tried looking at Github. I think they have networking forums for programmers etc.

Edited by King34Maine

Posted (edited)

@xrpempire we're an independent shop focused on developing tooling and analytics around the XRP ledger. You can see our principle product here:

https://wipple.devnull.network/

We've done alot of work on this front included an ongoing audit of the rippled source code:

https://wipple.devnull.network/research/rippled.html

We'd love to talk about what you were looking for and to throw the ball around on collaboration ideas. Just shoot us a message here or drop us an email anytime: devnullproductions@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon!

Edited by devnullprod

Posted (edited)

@xrpempire you also might want to direct message @BobWay. He was a former employee at Ripple. He had been with the company pretty much since its inception before he left to pursue his own endeavors. He also has his own club called, Bob's Book Club. I'm quite sure he can answer the vast majority of your questions or at least point you in the right direction.

Edited by King34Maine

I find that developers who have the most experience building stuff on the XRP Ledger tend to share their pet projects on this forum, on Twitter, and on Reddit. So that's one way to find them.

But in general, developers with blockchain / DApp development experience are in very high demand and are pretty rare. In my experience, it's more effective to hire developers with good general purpose skills and experience who are eager to learn new things. Many of the devs I've met at Ripple didn't have much XRP Ledger experience before they were hired, but came from various technical backgrounds and learned the specifics on the job.

Some background skills that can come in handy:

• Programming languages: JavaScript, C++, or others, but those two are the best for XRP Ledger development. I've seen some cool things in Ruby, Python, and C# as well so I wouldn't count almost any language out.
  • Economic theory / understanding of the financial system. Most devs don't have much understanding of this, but more are learning. Stuff like understanding what ACH and SEPA are, what are remittances, what are securities, what's front-running, etc. This is important for roles other than devs, too—One of the most important challenges for any money/cryptocurrency/financial business is understanding the laws that are relevant to your jurisdiction well enough to make a reasonable argument that you are complying with them.
  • Information security. Understanding how to use digital signatures securely, how to evaluate different algorithms, how to manage keys and passwords safely, etc. Elliptic curve cryptography is cool, but you don't necessarily need to know that much about the innards of the algorithms, just enough to evaluate which ones to use when and how.
  • Scalable, robust system architecture and design. Not everything belongs on a blockchain. Usually, the best architecture for a given project uses some more "traditional" technologies like databases. So understanding that, and how to balance and scale that stuff is very relevant.
  • User interface design / user experience testing. If a human is going to interact with your software at some point, you should have an idea of how to make their experience as positive and effective as possible. Frequently that means testing how users interact with it, designing with specific user goals in mind, etc.
  • All manner of soft skills. You need to be able to communicate with your colleagues and others outside your business, to share what you're working on, provide constructive feedback and encouragement, to coordinate and build agreement on how to connect pieces that are being built by different people or companies. Soft skills are how you make sure that you and everyone you work with can do their best work.

Overall, the highest quality developers are the ones who are motivated to make a quality product and patient enough to stick with it. Best of luck finding someone who fits that description! (No apologies if we get to them first.)