What does it mean to activate an address?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not me   

You have so many questions that I can not answer... beyond my technical knowledge... but I can not help but recognize the irony of your user name... to me, it implies a level of expertise beyond what

You have so many questions that I can not answer... beyond my technical knowledge... but I can not help but recognize the irony of your user name... to me, it implies a level of expertise beyond what most could comprehend.... or perhaps this is what  you aspire to become? 

Unless, of course, you are using the other meaning of the word "hero", which is "submarine"...  but if so, why?

Edited by EcneitapLatnem
Or..... maybe you mean RippleSandwich
1 hour ago, rippleHero said:

What does it mean to activate an address on the Ripple ledger? Does this mean you are the owner? Does it imply any relationship between the activator and the activatee?

There is a one way door between a secret key and the address that it encodes.  Once you have a secret key you have an address.   But anyone who knows an address can’t go back through the door and see the secret.

That address is one point on an elliptical curve.  There are umpteen zillions of those points.  (Think ‘every atom in the universe’ many).  So if you make a secret key,  with a random input,  (which all wallet software will do for you),  there is essentially no chance that anyone else has that key and therefore that address.

Now that address exists just like all integer numbers exist...    it’s not useful until it’s used.  The fact that you have the key for that address doesn’t mean didley squat.    It’s of no use to you.  Unless you choose to use it as a place to park some XRP.  Or have someone pay you some XRP to that address.  Then it’s useful.  It’s a little hidey hole for your XRP to sit in until you want to move them.

Now the XRP ledger has some rules...  one is that it won’t accept a transaction that sends to a invalid address.  So not every random sequence of 28 to 34 characters is an actual address on that curve.  So your address,  that no one else has the key to,  is a valid place to send XRP towards.  So the person paid you some XRP or you moved XRP from an exchange to that address...  and it was accepted as a valid tran by the ledger.

Ok, what if you want to move the XRP from that address to elsewhere...  fine go ahead.  BUT... the ledger has a wallet address reserve amount rule.  It says that a transaction is invalid if it leaves less than the reserve amount in the address.  The reserve amount is currently 20 XRP.   So if you only sent 15...  well...   unfortunately they can’t be sent elsewhere. Unless you send a few more to get over the reserve amount.

If however, you had sent 77 XRP you CAN make a valid transaction that moves 57 XRP out.  There is a tiny fee that must be allowed for..  so you can’t quite send 57...  ( 56.9999 or something like that should work though...)

So...  to finally answer you question...  and I apologise for my long-windedness...  

To activate means to have placed at least the reserve amount into the address.  If someone else did that for you,   then it was either a kindness or a paid service or a loan....  there is no relationship between “activator” and “secret key holder” other than whatever they agree to themselves...  there certainly is no enforced ledger rule about it.  

And the activator has no capacity to do anything further to that address (or wallet as it is confusingly called).

There is no “owner” of an address beyond whatever legal stipulations are made in the country(s) of the people involved.  There is simply an address and a key to that address.  No transaction involving that address,  other than sending in,  can be done without that secret key.

I hope I didn’t send any readers ( if any) to sleep...

Short answer @rippleHero
An adress is activtated after it has been funded with 20 XRP. Then you can fill that address/wallet with more XRP or move them anywhere.
The 20 XRP needed to fund, is however untouchable. They remain there forever until/if the fund amount changes, which might happen in the future.
But the XRP is not in the actual address/wallet. They are on the ledger. The address/wallet is your access point to the XRP´s you own.

Actually,  in my post I said if you had sent 15 xrp to the address you wouldn’t be able to send out...  but in reality I don’t think you can send fifteen....  I think you need to send at least the reserve amount or the tran will fail.  

It’s not critical to the point but it was a bad choice of example...  sorry about that.