BobWay

Chat: New Ideas for using the XRP Ledger - Formerly "Most of you are amazed at what Ripple is doing, but you are looking at it wrong."

@BobWayI was discussing with my brother last night that I see a wallet with the ability to transfer value like venmo/satoshipay  "@ChazzCoin" and also using the same wallet to pay for things via NFC as you are saying. This is so absolutely key as everything in our lives are moving to our phones in the future. Samsung Pay has pretty much eliminated the use of my physical cards, I merely use them out of habit now.

I am trying my best to learn how to integrate with the ILP and Coil. I would love to incorporate other amazing ideas like XRP Tip Bot into the wallet to allow users to tip each other. What an amazing social value of the future!!

Any resources to help in my endeavors are always welcome!! I am still new to the development side of this but spending one night connecting up to the api/ledger successfully made me realize how simple this stuff really is in the end! I should have a native open source android wallet on the store in a couple of months! (at least thats my goal)

Thanks again for everything!

22 hours ago, 7Bs said:

One of the things I was curious about is how significant 5G's rollout could be (in certain areas where there will be earlier adoption of 5G) for a phone as wallet app. For instance if someone has a weaker data plan vs. another; how that affects transaction speed and data cost (cutting into cross border savings).  

And if someone has access to an abundance of data could they offload some of that speed to someone without it, monetizing different cost structures.

You just inspired me to add this:

https://xrp-community-fund.canny.io/funding-suggestions/p/router-module-to-stream-guest-wifi-for-payment

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jag216 said:

@jag216I think this is great. I think there could be exposure in the initial rollout phase of 5G where there is a first mover advantage (which I guess is now) just from what I've read. And applicable in a for-profit and non-profit setting. This is an interesting article in timing: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/future-mobile-payments-5g-speed-up-expansion-pedro-sousa-cardoso

Do you foresee the streaming payment bridge asset options as agnostic basis Linux/Hyperledger initiative? I wouldn't know how this would proceed in America as an example, @BobWay? Would it be akin to an OTT internet television (but in a crypto context) rollout where the plugin/module and app are getting 'distribution streaming payment rights' from each local network/channel? Would this operate as a complimentary infrastructure and have a faster rollout? 

Edited by Guest

This is exactly the kind of conversation I wanted this thread to stir. One of the thinks I want all of you to think about is forming "teams" and looking for "co-founders". In reality, nobody invests in good ideas. The invest in competent motivated "teams" executing on a good idea. They really don't care whose idea is being executed on. So if you go to an inventor and say, "I have this great idea, and I want you to back me with your money." The first thing that investor will say is, "Who else have you convinced this is a good idea? How many of them signed up to help you day in and day out?  (co-founders)"

People tend to misunderstand startup Founders and CEOs. They think of them as "getting rich" off of everyone else's (employees) work. But in reality, for a startup, the title Founder and/or CEO means, "You get paid LAST!"  Your employees always get paid FIRST. Otherwise the company would dissolve into thin air. Suppliers always get paid second. Otherwise the startup would have no resources to transform and create new value with. Way down the line at the end comes, pay the founder.

So, keep that in mind as you kick around great ideas. If you can't execute on it all by yourself in private. Then your idea has no business being kept secret. It simply has no value that way. To make anything out of it, you will need to convince others it is a valuable idea to work on and/or purchase. In order to make any of that happen, you are going to need to form teams. So get started, NOW!

14 hours ago, 7Bs said:

Do you foresee the streaming payment bridge asset options as agnostic basis Linux/Hyperledger initiative? I wouldn't know how this would proceed in America as an example, @BobWay? Would it be akin to an OTT internet television (but in a crypto context) rollout where the plugin/module and app are getting 'distribution streaming payment rights' from each local network/channel? Would this operate as a complimentary infrastructure and have a faster rollout? 

Hyperledger might be one way to do this, but in reality ILP and Coil don't need it. They convert currencies as necessary to meet goals.

So if lots of people setup access points around the world, they wouldn't have to agree on what currency they wanted to be paid in. Each could choose what worked best for themselves. The users of the access point DON'T need to hold any of those currencies. You might just hold XRP or whatever your local currency is.

A Coil (ILP) payment pointer just says what the receiver want to receive in exchange for delivering some benefit. The "connectors" and payment routing algorithms determine the lowest cost payment path to make that happen.

I have been giving serious consideration to working through some schemas and planning for CCD and CCDA documents (to start) for medical data storage, but when I started looking at Codius I wasn't sure it was really the right architecture for that use case. I know this year at HIMMS there was talk about 'blockchain' solving medical issues, but everyone seems to just want to build distributed versions of their legacy silo applications - with silos and proprietary nonsense included.

I have been more inspired by hedera and in particular the agent-centric architecture possibilities and distribution potential with holochain - this strikes me as being the most responsible way to deal with clusters of personal and sensitive information that you want a high granularity of precision on. It's going to need a simpler updated standard I think for communication regardless. FHIR is promising as a standard for less intensive applications but... adoption, etc. Not a lot of agreement or cooperation with vendors (NextGen, Epic, get over it already) 

However, if agent-centric ledger operations can be done on Codius and can scale appropriately, I'd love to get more input for evaluation. What I appreciated with holo was that each application host really only needed to host data for agents who wished to use the application - it seemed like the right mixture of need-to-know and also willful cooperation and privacy. Turning the entire threat vector, expense and silo tendency of health information exchanges (HIEs) on its head completely. Right now each HIE has its own half-baked methodology for determine patient matches from different systems - all of this seems like a great application for distributed hash tables - but what could the Codius alternative offer?

10 hours ago, jag216 said:

but what could the Codius alternative offer?

Based on what I know, Codius isn't going to be a help to you in storing or accessing data. It really isn't designed for that. To better answer your question, I've written more about what Codius is here.

I know what you mean about distributed version of their existing silo applications. When a lot of people hear about blockchain they think, "Hey! Other people will pay for my operational costs and data storage! I'll still keep control of all the value through access controls to that data, because you know... Privacy!"

I encourage you to look into what you are wanting to do. I also encourage you to look into different "blockchain technologies" and how they might help you store and access the data that truly needs to be shared. But I also encourage you to investigate technologies like Solid that rethink what "private data" means. Maybe the best way to protect privacy, is to throw out the blockchain entirely.

That was what was so mind expanding about being at Ripple. Sure blockchain and distributed ledgers are awesome for some problems. But every problem is not a nail, so a hammer should not be the only tool in your toolbox. Hence, the creation of ILP, Codius and out-of-band pre-transaction signaling.

1 hour ago, BobWay said:

I encourage you to look into what you are wanting to do. I also encourage you to look into different "blockchain technologies" and how they might help you store and access the data that truly needs to be shared. But I also encourage you to investigate technologies like Solid that rethink what "private data" means. Maybe the best way to protect privacy, is to throw out the blockchain entirely.

This was already a bit of my conclusion but I haven't seen solid - I will see how it compares to some of the distributed hash table products out there. I like the idea of a person's data aggregating to their local store and being able to give external applications access to that as they engage in business with them - it feels more like a diary and less like an account. Plus from a medical perspective it makes the hospital EHR/EMR far less of a valuable target. I've given this a lot of thought and actually have a CPA friend of mine running some numbers to see how profitable it could be, while disrupting the EMR stage on the price/participation side.

Thanks for the Codius piece. That clears up a lot.

I really appreciate how much value you have added to the XRP product in my mind - a pinch of the right information can provide more value than a dumptruck full of speculation. But I agree that the best thing we can do is find ways to use this tech now, before wall street and 5th avenue swarm the digital asset landscape.

Posted (edited)

I have an idea for a use case, for which I think there is much need. I'm not a technical person, so I don't know if Coil or Codious (or what) would be the best platform for this. I'd be curious to know if anybody would have an interest in this.

The idea is this: When people die there are a tremendous amount of things that have to be done by the living. It goes without saying that many people are not very organized when it comes to their planning of their will, estate, etc. to help those who are left behind. I can imagine a company who for an up front fee (of XRP or other crypto) could set all this up in a primarily automized manner, and it could be fairly easy for someone to do the leg work themselves as planning, such as people already do with some legal issues on sites like Legalzoom. You could go to the coil web site, link your name and info to the local coroner; further link to your attorney or a description of a digital version (or even where your physical will is located), those listed on your will and their digital contact info; to your life insurer and their digital contact. One can quickly see how it spiderwebs out in an automated way. My point is that upon a person's death a chain of events will digitally start to take effect. The coroner would be notified (or perhaps he/she would login to this system) to certify death in a system that had a list of criteria that he would enable and that would begin the chain of events, then the executor of the will could be notified (after next of kin, etc. obviously whatever the situation requires with compassion) as well as a life insurer where an "if/then" type smart contract summary would take place enabling a further chain of events, perhaps even generating a check to those listed on the policy as beneficiaries, etc., etc. Each "chained event" would enable a fee or tip of some sort. Of course there would be nearly endless scenarios but the basics could certainly be automated and I believe still done so with logic and compassion both. This would be such a tremendous help to tens of millions of people each year who, for example, wonder where the will is, what it says, if there is a life insurance policy and where it is located, banking info and so on. The security and redundancy of blockchain type technology combined with smart contracts seems like a perfect fit. 

Edited by VanGogh