AlexCobb

Cobalt Live Soon?

5 hours ago, ADingoAteMyXRP said:

About a month ago, Ethan did tweet that the 2014 consensus algorithm had been deprecated, replaced by the Cobalt white paper. But I’m not sure what the timeline looks like for developing and QAing the new protocol: 

To clarify, this is inaccurate, The original white paper has been replaced by an updated white paper based on the current consensus method, not based on Cobalt.

About Cobalt, Ethan has only published a research paper for peer review.

2 hours ago, PunishmentOfLuxury said:

I'll just repeat that for emphasis: "But if and when Cobalt is implemented, it won’t be user-facing and its deployment won’t affect users of the XRP Ledger."

Then what on earth is the point of it?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Odiseo said:

To clarify, this is inaccurate, The original white paper has been replaced by an updated white paper based on the current consensus method, not based on Cobalt.

About Cobalt, Ethan has only published a research paper for peer review.

Hm... that’s odd, since it is the SAME research paper dated 2/20/18: https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.07242

EDIT: I'm wrong! It's not the same paper.

Edited by ADingoAteMyXRP

51 minutes ago, elias said:

Then what on earth is the point of it?

Faster confirmations, higher tps, lower overlap in UNL required. So, future stuff. Ledger works fine with current limits.

54 minutes ago, ADingoAteMyXRP said:

Hm... that’s odd, since it is the SAME research paper dated 2/20/18: https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.07242

But if you look at that paper, it describes only the current system, not Cobalt, even though it mentions Cobalt as a preferred algorithm to create more flexibility, maybe in the future. But Cobalt is really described in another paper by Ethan.

The original white paper, I think from 2012, had some inaccuracies, mainly with the % overlap needed on the UNLs, it was too optimistic, the new updated white paper by Ethan is more accurate describing the current consensus algorithm. The proposed Cobalt would mean a come back to more flexibility on the overlap % of the UNLs to secure the network.

183474865_Screenshot2019-03-15at15_28_06.thumb.jpg.9d8a79fe055ddfed04c74bab1a607d9f.jpg

24 minutes ago, Odiseo said:

But if you look at that paper, it describes only the current system, not Cobalt, even though it mentions Cobalt as a preferred algorithm to create more flexibility, maybe in the future. But Cobalt is really described in another paper by Ethan.

The original white paper, I think from 2012, had some inaccuracies, mainly with the % overlap needed on the UNLs, it was too optimistic, the new updated white paper by Ethan is more accurate describing the current consensus algorithm. The proposed Cobalt would mean a come back to more flexibility on the overlap % of the UNLs to secure the network.

183474865_Screenshot2019-03-15at15_28_06.thumb.jpg.9d8a79fe055ddfed04c74bab1a607d9f.jpg

Thanks for correcting me! I was completely wrong.

It sounds like Ripple themselves are not actively working on Cobalt, but Ethan's team hopes to have it done "ASAP," possibly in 2019 (but not guaranteed).