lerryberry

Who / How did you first find out about Ripple?

Late 2013 I saw a post by someone on housepricecrash.co.uk website about how they'd made enough money from bitcoin to get a deposit for a house.

He also said that ripple (XRP) looked interesting so I did some research and found XRP to be most useful looking.

I also remembered a conversation I had several years earlier with a guy that used to be very high up in Oracle (I think) who said that whoever solved the international payments problem would make a lot of money.

Got my first Zerps early December 2013 through the computing for good giveaway.

Feel very lucky to have got into XRP so early.

I came to Rippel by accident. A work colleague told me during the break of IOTA. After that, I informed myself on the internet for a week. Among other things, I have read a lot about ripple. And the more I read about Rippel, the more I was convinced that Rippel prevails. That's how I came to Rippel.

guy at work started telling me about something his friend had been recommending all year (2017) & how he'd made some good money & was going to try it. I was sceptical & wanting to take the pi$$ a la banter at work but did some research & my history of not being risk adverse, an economics degree & knowing some of the hassles of sending money to Thailand (where my partner was from originally) I fell in love & ever since then have been going all in & DCAing a reasonable stack to fantasise about a better future...…….

I love your question because I realize how random my own first exposure was, and I've often laughed to myself about how lucky and serendipitous it was.

Anyway, I read a ton of current-events stuff all over the web all the time.  One day I came across this article in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/style/what-is-cryptocurrency.html

I'd heard of bitcoin of course, but when I followed up with more research, the description of XRP and its use case CLICKED.  Bitcoin and Ethereum didn't make much sense to me then, and still don't.

Posted (edited)

How I found Ripple, XRP & the community.

I was searching the internet in early January 2018 for how successful people handle their business and their money. There is a formula to how successful people make money and it's not by accident. They know the in’s and the out’s and they repeat the process. I figured if I could somehow follow in their footsteps, by observing their lives and how they do their business I could put together some of these pieces to at least learn how to save money or spend money more wisely.

So my googling began. I typed in a few successful business owner's names from different walks of life and when I came across Bill Gates I read about the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation using XRP to transfer money from the Gates Foundation to third World countries. I thought that was an interesting concept. Since my wife is from overseas, we are constantly sending money using Transfer Wise or Western Union to gift money back home for her family and the transaction fees using the existing system were digging too deep into our pockets.

At that point my research began into crypto currency and my introduction to Bitcoin. It only took a few transactions using Bitcoin to realize how expensive and slow it was. Also, I realized Bitcoin was very anti-establishment with regulatory bodies (Governments & Banks). For me that was a red flag because I know banks and governments aren’t going away. I found XRP to be the polar opposite and it seemed to address my concerns I had about crypto and I felt especially comfortable knowing that a US based company was a major driving factor behind its success. After watching countless YouTube videos about Ripple and Brad Garlinghouse I started investing as much as I could afford into the XRP eco system. I know for a fact XRP has a very bright future. I believe in the people who created it and I can see their passion behind the technology. I appreciate the fact Ripple employees have been very transparent in terms of the company direction and they strike me as a bunch of hard working and honest people with good values. Researching into Ripple and XRP has brought me to this forum community, where I frequently catch the latest updates on just about everything Ripple / XRP. So here I am, and I enjoy how welcoming and friendly this community is even when the markets are down and the emotions are high.

Edited by Scout

Bitcoin and technology and professional gamers overlap similar circles and communities.

I was aware of bitcoin for a long time. But never liked the PoW concept or its ties to criminals and deep Web / silk road.

Had a friend at work who made a good return after I gave him some Investments to look into. He is a gambler and had used btc to play poker.

I started researching the other crypto currencies to give him others to invest into long term.

We are now both heavily invested into xrp and csc.

1 hour ago, DividendGamer said:

Bitcoin and technology and professional gamers overlap similar circles and communities.

I was aware of bitcoin for a long time. But never liked the PoW concept or its ties to criminals and deep Web / silk road.

Had a friend at work who made a good return after I gave him some Investments to look into. He is a gambler and had used btc to play poker.

I started researching the other crypto currencies to give him others to invest into long term.

We are now both heavily invested into xrp and csc.

Where did you get CSC? I’m looking into it and seems like a good speculation play

Well i heard tv news in May 17 that BTC goes to 1000, so i wanted invest and buy at least 1,1 BTC and hodl till 1000000 USD as some guy at youtube advised. But i invested slowly and price beginning to rise so i decided to use some coins as hedge to bitcoin. Some of the coins was delisted and roll back deep down coinmarket like XRY. So i bought chepast coins like BCN (which i had 1000000 during late april 2018 when i sold before huge insiders pump on Binance where price was almost 1$ :angry:). Also i had idea in early Dec 17 to buy 1000000 TRON but i was lazy and silly to open ETH wallet and register on some shady exchanges where it was traded at that time. :beee: So thats how i fuk up 1.3 million USD.:blink:So my only hope now is XRP. Hope it ll get at least 20-25,cause this number will allow me put  in at 5% bank and in about 10 years after have nice numbers there:beach:.:bb:By the way i still hold 0 BTC:o

76724178c13f7e00fcf15ada98a4575e.jpg

I found Ripple while looking at the Intersection of P2P methods and Insurance. Back in 2013 there was a guy doing PeerCover and he was using "ripple" so I had to see what the competition was doing.

Prior to that effort, I had spent years working on some real estate valuation software (my 1st project) but never found software that could do what I needed... as soon as I saw Rippled, I saw the solution to all of what I needed. The IOUs, Orderbooks, Trustlines and Pathfinding, these are incredibly powerful and applicable tools.

Now I feel like Rippled is a financial violin, that in the right hands, can play any financial service tune. It's one hell of an accounting tool.

From there the Ripple team honestly blew my mind conceptually with Turstlines/rippling, XRP as a Bridge Currency, and Interledger protocol. As the top talent they were able to attract kept getting better, I slowly came to realize that in time Ripple will be bigger than Google.

2013: BTC hits 100 USD. Meh, it will never work. Crypto exchanges will be banned. Too expensive. Too hard to buy. It will collapse as soon as I have bought it anyways.

2015: Well, I guess I buy some BTC because price will rise and rise. Wow! I can just transfer it without any permission. Only in an hour.

2017 summer: Vitalik is genius! Smart contracts, Dapps and something, something. I will buy ETH and it so fast to transfer. No going back to BTC.

2017 fall: Ripple coin? What is this? Transfer is... YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME. Four seconds! This is a joke. LOL. No way this can be so fast?! Can it be? It can! No way I'm going back to ETH or any other PoW slowness madness anymore.

2018: Hodor XRP!

2019: Hodl XRP!

2020: hallwaymonitor joins to the Zerpening club. RIP.

4 hours ago, misterbongo said:

So thats how i fuk up 1.3 million USD

Ouch! That must hurt like kick in the teeth. I still remember at best I had 10 BTC and I even thought this is pretty good result. There are only 21M BTCs and I hold 10 of them. Should I just hold for the next coming years no matter what? Well, I didn't. I sold the 10 BTCs of mine way too early and barely breaking even in the process...

Posted (edited)

I became aware of BTC about 6-7 years ago in a blog forum where they were discussing how to pay a whistle blower

I noticed adverts to buy BTC about three years ago.  Tried to buy some and failed

In Sept 2017 I thought I must try again, and failed again.

Dec 2017 I finally discovered I could buy on Etoro with my credit card. 

I discovered XRP/Ripple a few days later and loved the concept.  I dropped BTC and everything else and went 100% XRP.  I saw my investment blossom from 10K to 25K in a few days - but I did not cash out

I lost money being stupid on the way down and eventually sold everything at the end of December coming out with a deficit of 3-4K.

Since Feb I have been accumulating as the price descended. The simplicity of the Etoro platform really suited me.  I can now transfer my stack on to a wallet. I consider myself very fortunate to be on the border of being in the top 1% of XRP ownership club, but my account is in substantial loss of 45%.  I will go on buying every month until the price rises about .5.   I will begin to sell a proportion of my stack after XRP reaches 5 dollars, but most of my XRP is there as my retirement fund (I am already in my mid sixties so I can't wait for decades!).

Edited by Julian_Williams