fatlever

Why is Ripple getting into video games?!!

Criminals and Gaming are early adopters of technology. There is business to be done "unfreezing" value which is locked within the ecosystem of each game. There is a market to make and profit to earn by "providing liquidity" to "unfreeze" the market's inter-game value. flow demands.

While this should be well profitable, gaming is also a relatively low risk market (to financial services) to deploy these blockchain tools into, and iterate on for the multiple years of development it will take to build efficient systems to preform this ILP Connector function. Coming out of that development effort with a measly profit would be a big win, because once you have the system built well enough you can deploy it into many, if not damn near all of the financial services.

This is a bit off topic but was wondering if anybody has noticed the change in Ripple's marketing habits over the past couple of months. Typically,  news of a significant partnership or them spending a significant amount of money (i.e. 100-million development fund for a gaming platform) would have garnered its own "Insight" post and the whole 9-yards. However, it seems as though they are taking more of a back-seat approach now.  

14 hours ago, Robbieboy said:

Then why take a girls name for your forum handle..? You don't know anything about my life experience do you so your grade school put downs don't really hold water.

I don't particularly care to get into the personal significance the play itself holds for me. You just decided to attack me. So I attacked back and then you defended yourself with the always strong, "YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!!" defense that I recently saw invoked by a mentally disturbed homeless woman at an angry convenience store manager who wouldn't give her a free cup of ice (this is literally the last instance I heard someone use this retort out loud and it was this morning).  Good on you for being able to employ the degree of argumentative sophistication that a floridly schizophrenic, unbathed homeless woman defaulted to as well.

I don't know you.  I didn't want to know you.  I don't want to know you.  But yet, you inserted yourself into my day, so now I know of you and I am dealing with you accordinly.  BTW...Did it ever occur to you that you also don't know me?  I know it didn't.  Angry people like you tend to love to never look inward for the most blatant examples of the criticisms they love to dole out.

But yes... setting all of that aside, you are absolutely correct that I don't know anything about your life experience. But in my experience, the people who have time to blatantly antagonize others online - entirely without provocation - tend to have quite the deficit of other positive things in their life. As such, I doubt you're just crushing it with the ladies.  Feel free to tell me otherwise.  I won't believe you.  You can move along with your life at any time since, again, I didn't ever address you directly in the first place.

Posted (edited)

Imagine if you had crypto-game modes on something like Fortnite where it costs 50 cents to join a game, but the winner takes all the money, or maybe distribute it to the top 3 players (obviously there would be the ability to define custom rule-sets, etc.). You could potentially make $49.50 on a 100 player game, which would bring a new way to game to the industry and evolve it into the 21st century. 

Make these game modes 18+ and have someway to validate this, but obviously there will still be kids who steal their mums credit card and lose thousands bc they are terrible, such is life.

This to me is like those crappy crypto gambling platforms but on steroids and the fact you get to use your skill versus other players instead of relying on a 'randomizing' algorithm brings a whole new dimension to gaming while giving gamers a way to make money and bringing crypto into adoption. I don't think you understand just how big the gaming industry is as a whole. If crypto was only used for gaming, it would still be huge.

Tournaments could have smart-contracts to pay the winning team and you would avoid the drama of teams not getting paid, players getting screwed by their sponsors, etc. Everything will be in plain sight and nothing is hidden

Edited by LucidRain

19 hours ago, Robbieboy said:

I've never been a fanboy of any coin, that's why I make money, fanboys generally don't. I gamed the **** out of the stellar giveaway and made some nice profit there, but I've never been a fan of stellar and don't remember ever shilling it here. Me and joyce don't get on that well so, nope, mistaking me for some other poor sod you decided to jump down the throat of? But hey I was likely in ripple before you even knew what a merkle tree was and have profited accordingly.

Oh, I just recall you from the past. You do not recall me, but I think we were there at the same time, or in my case, before that.  You seemed very much in favor / in defense of Stellar in the past. Now, I do not want to make this all tribalist and all (that is pointless), but at least I know what the plan was back then. 

I know that this thread is now well worn, so to speak, but the following quote is from The Verge, dated 16th March 2019, by Nick Statt and I thought very relevant here:

"Google is making a big play in gaming next week, but we’re still unsure exactly what that entails. For years, the company has toyed with the idea of getting involved in what is now the biggest sector of the entertainment industry, worth an estimated $138 billion dollars as of last fall. And it would make competitive sense: Amazon owns Twitch, Facebook acquired Oculus, and Microsoft has Xbox. The only other major tech company without a serious gaming platform or investment of its own, not counting mobile app stores, is Apple, although even the iPhone maker is now rumored to be working on a game subscription service of its own."