Jump to content
Swans9

Chat: The Best Ripple Wallet?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I took the advice of many people who have been at this much longer than I have.  I use the Ledger Nano S for long term storage.  Sam I Am has a good youtube video on Security for the Nano.  I also use a paper wallet for one of my other holdings.  I have a very small amount of XRP on my preferred exchange for quick access if needed.

I have also typed up a document for my Wife/Family giving them step by step instructions and hints on how to find, access my Accounts, and recover the Funds, should I become incapacitated or perish.  I don't want to be known like Billionaire, Matthew Mellon, who died and left no way for his family to recover his estimated $500 Million in XRP.

Although my holdings are miniscule compared to others, with the way hacks are constantly happening, I take the security of what I do own seriously.

Edited by HereIAm23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 5:18 AM, BobWay said:

But the real reason I split this into its own thread, is I'm wondering which is the best Ripple wallet for daily use?

Anybody have strong opinions?

The Easy XRP Wallet.

That doesn't exist does it?   ...  yet ;)   dun dun dun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 7:06 PM, Swans9 said:

Hi Bob, great club!

I currently use TOAST wallet but considering a paper wallet for long term storage of XRP.  Any recommendations for paper wallet please?

Thank you.

https://bithomp.com/paperwallet/

it's open source:

https://github.com/Bithomp/xrp-paper-wallet

it uses the ripple-lib, you can download it, move to offline computer, and start it there to generate paper wallet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 10:21 PM, Flintstone said:

I’m a fan of Bithomp’s offline wallet/tools for everyday use. Plenty of functions and nice GUI.

As for generating a key-pair (paper wallet) I installed NodeJS and NPM and created my own offline with the minimum code required.

Thanks,

we also have a account generator

https://bithomp.com/create/

and paper wallet.

https://bithomp.com/paperwallet/

both use ripple-lib and both are opensourced and can be run locally offline. 

https://github.com/Bithomp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a "wallet" 

https://bithomp.com/tools/ opensourced, can be downloaded and used offline. 

we also have a page which you can open from the phone and submit signed transactions by scaning the qr codes from tools (AirGaped)

works both with mnemonic (recovery phrase from trezor, ledger nano and others) and with secrets. 

Works for escrow, orders, settings changing, iou payments... 

We also added Ledger Hardware payment send function to our explorer:

https://bithomp.com/explorer (click on ledger icon)

where you can login with ledger nano s and send XRP in reliable way, using our private rippled and with verifying transaction status *on the ledger*. 

so, it's already better than to use ledger's native app :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Warbler said:

we also have a account generator

https://bithomp.com/create/

and paper wallet.

https://bithomp.com/paperwallet/

Hi Warbler - I was looking to create a paper wallet, and had decided to use the Bithomp offline version downloaded from Github (great tool you've built there btw!)

Is there any easy way of testing the generated key? i.e. How can I know that the wallet / key pair I create will work when I come to import them into another wallet in X years time, when the value has increased to a point where I'd be mortified to discover it doesn't work and the fortune is lost forever? (Nooooooooooo!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AsYouWere said:

Hi Warbler - I was looking to create a paper wallet, and had decided to use the Bithomp offline version downloaded from Github (great tool you've built there btw!)

Is there any easy way of testing the generated key? i.e. How can I know that the wallet / key pair I create will work when I come to import them into another wallet in X years time, when the value has increased to a point where I'd be mortified to discover it doesn't work and the fortune is lost forever? (Nooooooooooo!)

@Flintstone already answered :) 

I'll just add an example how to deal with offline mode ;) 

https://xrpcommunity.blog/bithomp-tools-using-offline-mode/

17 hours ago, Flintstone said:

I’m glad you replied. People must think I’m a Bithomp rep sometimes :) 

Thank you for all your support +5 @xrptipbot :lol:

Really, we do appreciate your support!

If you will add a trustline for BTH to rBithomp3UNknnjo8HKNfyS5MN4kdPTZpW, I'll send you some BTH :) Let me know your xrp address in PM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @Warbler, I did actually manage to figure it out late last night off the back of @Flintstone's suggestion. Once I'd realised that an offline transaction was even possible (still blowing my mind), I did a bit more research and got to your tool. I was going to do a short write-up here on how I did it for other newbies, but that blog piece summed it perfectly.

Thanks for the awesome tools Warbler; I've been holding xrp for a while using a Nano S, but only now just starting to explore the tech in more depth. It's a whole new world!

And thank you for the initial suggestion Flintstone, I verified it with a donation to stjudes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AsYouWere said:

Hi Warbler - I was looking to create a paper wallet, and had decided to use the Bithomp offline version downloaded from Github (great tool you've built there btw!)

Is there any easy way of testing the generated key? i.e. How can I know that the wallet / key pair I create will work when I come to import them into another wallet in X years time, when the value has increased to a point where I'd be mortified to discover it doesn't work and the fortune is lost forever? (Nooooooooooo!)

I can understand your concerns. But EVERY (for sure) keypair i generated with ripple-lib ever worked :))) Would be strange if not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RippleSider said:

I can understand your concerns. But EVERY (for sure) keypair i generated with ripple-lib ever worked :))) Would be strange if not

And it's that tiny 0.000045% doubt of "would be strange if not", that I wanted to rule out. If I'm going to put my hard-earned money in this wallet, I need to do my own due diligence and be 100% confident that it's safe for sure.

Now having worked through this little exercise, I think I'm on the path to your level of certainty :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, AsYouWere said:

And it's that tiny 0.000045% doubt of "would be strange if not", that I wanted to rule out. If I'm going to put my hard-earned money in this wallet, I need to do my own due diligence and be 100% confident that it's safe for sure.

Now having worked through this little exercise, I think I'm on the path to your level of certainty :good:

and everybody should go this way on it's own. well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Warbler said:

@Flintstone already answered :) 

I'll just add an example how to deal with offline mode ;) 

https://xrpcommunity.blog/bithomp-tools-using-offline-mode/

Thank you for all your support +5 @xrptipbot :lol:

Really, we do appreciate your support!

If you will add a trustline for BTH to rBithomp3UNknnjo8HKNfyS5MN4kdPTZpW, I'll send you some BTH :) Let me know your xrp address in PM. 

Never added a trustline before. Guess I’ll be learning how this weekend. Thanks. I’ll PM you as soon as I’ve sorted it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...