BobWay

Chat: General

47 minutes ago, VanGogh said:

I wonder if anybody in here can offer insight into this stable coin and how it might affect XRP: XDR http://mile.global 

It's aimed at cross boarder remittance, especially for the underbanked, and apparently it's backed by the by the IMF's basket of currencies (SDR). 

It looks like the IMF is not a partner. BRICS is?

Using the published website rate of the SDR?

An aside, is when Yuan at the November 2015 review was approved to join the SDR basket in October 2016. The SDR basket is reviewed every 5 years for any adjustments. So I guess the next review is on the near horizon. 

I watched the Alex Cobb Q &A with Bob and a interesting underlying suggestion by Bob was if XRP was a currency then XRP should be spent like money to increase value and volume...Whilst waiting for the Central Banks to arrive.. 

So big Hodlers get spending....

So many good questions. I'm not ignoring them. Just need to put together a few more spare minutes to answer them properly.

I'll try to answer the easy, short answer ones first.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:55 AM, ChazzCoin said:

What are your thoughts on Tron and Justin Sun?

I know he worked at Ripple and helped expand partnerships globally. Have any interactions with him or were y'all even there at the same time?

I do know Justin and worked with him at Ripple from the beginning. I like him personally. I was actually surprised by Tron's success. Not because of Justin, but because I didn't know the two were related. Justin told me over drinks in SF that he was going to start a new blockchain and also what the focus was. I didn't think to ask the name at that time. :-)

Justin is Chinese and I'm Texan. So I know I have some cultural bias in regards to "normal" behavior. I see Justin as quite a good self-promoter. He is working mostly in China among Chinese folks to which I'm sure all of his behavior is culturally appropriate. For my personal taste, he often seems a bit "flashy" or ostentatious in his self promotion. But again, I completely realize that is my own personal cultural bias. So in the end, I am happy for Justin's personal success. I hope he follows through in creating a lot of value for everyone over the coming years. I'm not jumping up and down to go work with him, but mostly because I don't think I would be any good at it. I simply have a different set of skills.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:59 AM, 7Bs said:

https://www.quibi.com

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/03/19/media/meg-whitman-jeffrey-katzenberg-quibi/index.html

Something that can be partnered into the ecosystem? Fastest asset meets fastest full story entertainment platform?

This is very much like what Coil wants to monetize. Someone forward this link to them!

On 3/27/2019 at 6:40 PM, XRPHornets said:

@BobWay  I have a question about R3 Corda Settler. We know that through their alliance with SBI they intend to use XRP.

Do you know of any plans by R3 to use XRP in the Corda settler for the rest of the world?

I don't know any specific plans. I have written a little about Corda Settler elsewhere in these forums though.

Each company is working to create value in their own way. But "rippling technology" (XRPL & ILP) does tend to tie all of this new value creation together into a single ecosystem. Corda is going to be good at "settling" non-money forms of value, against monetary forms of value. The two are simply inseparable in business. What both ILP, XRPL and Settler have in common is that they assure both parts of a business deal happen in a single "synchronized" (atomic) transaction.

It makes a lot of sense for R3/Corda to work with Ripple's various "rippling technologies" because they are the leader in "synchronized" monetary transactions world-wide. Their doing so would benefit the RippleNet ecosystem immensely (from my personal perspective).

On 3/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, ChazzCoin said:

Can you help explain gateways, their functions, etc?

This will figure more prominently in my future discussions. But for now, think of an XRP Ledger "gateway" simply as a "bank".

It is a place where you can deposit your fiat currency. However, instead of reflecting that deposit back to you through "online banking", you would see these fiat deposits directly on the XRP Ledger. That lets you spend or trade your fiat 24/7 to anyone in the world, without needing to interact with your bank or bankers at all.

13 hours ago, Biggerdo said:

I watched the Alex Cobb Q &A with Bob and a interesting underlying suggestion by Bob was if XRP was a currency then XRP should be spent like money to increase value and volume...Whilst waiting for the Central Banks to arrive.. 

So big Hodlers get spending....

See this post here. I've expanded on how you can both HODL and facilitate XRP's use as money at the same time.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:49 AM, Pablo said:

Unfortunately, my extensive research indicates there isn't much contract in "smart contracts" either so I've been using inverted commas for a while myself... :)

I might be biased because I'm involved in the relevant Working Group but I think Hyperledger is closer to the mark by designating these things as "chaincode". It's not a very catchy name but at some point a suitable taxonomy will emerge to recognise the developing jurisprudence in the space so we can drop the quotes and truly speak of smart contracts.

I wanted to respond to this, because I think there is often a misunderstanding about the parties a "smart contract" binds. 

A smart contract IS NOT really a typical "contract" between two or more humans enforcing their behavior. Instead, it is a "delegation contract" (like a power-of-attorney) between one human, and an imaginary bookkeeping entity called "the blockchain". The human delegates power to the blockchain to act on his behalf. This delegation often restricts the delegating human's behavior for a period of time.

This is the case with an "escrow" contract. The human gives some funds to the "bookkeeper" and says, "Here are the rules you MUST use in order to spend these funds. You don't need to get any more permission or signatures from me to acted on these rules. But if you can't execute on the rules by Tuesday, they become null and void, and you MUST give me back the money."

So the second human isn't really interacting with the first human at all. Instead, she is interacting directly with the "bookkeeper" (smart contract) that has control of the funds and deal making authority.

The overarching goal of a "smart contract" is that after the second human completes the deal with the bookkeeper, NO long-term contract provisions need apply between the two humans. In effect, the deal is "settled" and both parties can walk away happy.

If one of the parties decides they are unhappy in the future, well by design, there is no contractual recourse. The "bookkeeper" (smart contract) evaporates. And the two humans never had any direct contact or contractual agreements between themselves at all.

If you like this characteristic, you love smart contracts. If you hate that characteristic, well, stay away from smart contracts.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:05 PM, Ryyy20 said:

Hey @BobWay

Does Ripple integrate its solutions for its customers or are other cloud providers making Ripple solutions available through their own cloud platforms? A few come to mind SAP, Volante, Temenos, Bluezelle, Microsoft etc. The community has definitely speculated on this:

Bluzelle/Temenos:

Volante:

https://www.volantetech.com/news-events/press-releases/volante-technologies-launches-accelerator-for-bank-integration-to-ripple-s-distributed-financial-technology

Is cloud+Payments as a Service the future? :JC_thinking:

I don't have any specific new information to add. I've been out of the loop on the most recent developments. But I have worked personally with some of those teams. In general, all of our engagements have been successful. Meaning they met the goals of the original agreements and contracts.

However, how those integrations get deployed to Ripple's customers, customers are generally up to those parties. So A bunch of the services mentioned here and below in this post are services offered by others to their customers. You may or many not hear XRP or Ripple mentioned prominently when those products are rolled out to others.

On 3/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, Xrptothemoon11 said:

Hi @BobWay I was wondering if you can comment on any ripple intergration into banking software providers ie Temenos SAP Earthport TAS group etc. Was this a strategy ripple planned or did they think it an easier way into the major banks through the current backend software providers?  Thank for all the time you are taking to educate the community 👍🍺

Every time you can integrate once to someone who already has lots of customers in place, that is a huge win. It can take a load off your sales and integration teams. I can't talk about any specific details though.

On 3/28/2019 at 11:59 AM, 7Bs said:

It looks like the IMF is not a partner. BRICS is?

Using the published website rate of the SDR?

An aside, is when Yuan at the November 2015 review was approved to join the SDR basket in October 2016. The SDR basket is reviewed every 5 years for any adjustments. So I guess the next review is on the near horizon. 

I really don't know much about any of this. But keep sending me links. I'll get caught up eventually.

New question for you, which you may not wish to talk about as I believe David et al have to keep closed lipped presumably for NDA reasons:

How big, or what is your understanding of how big or what Polysign could be or do in the whole crypto environment? Is it just (lol like it's a small thing) a custody thing or does it have other potential applications?

Cheers boss :)

@BobWay I would like to hear your thoughts about Cardano and ADA. How do you think Cardano and ADA stacks up against Ripple and XRP? I have only just started doing some research into the Cardano project and I can see a lot of similarities to what Ripple have already achieved. One of the main objectives of the Cardano project is to create interoperability between different protocols. Isn’t this what ILP has already accomplished? Do you see Cardano as a threat to Ripple in the future? Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, BobWay said:

I don't see much of a need for it in my next project. :-)

Thanks @BobWay! I might just continue accumulating XRP. So what is your next project, or is that too early to reveal?

11 hours ago, XRPPRofit said:

Thanks @BobWay! I might just continue accumulating XRP. So what is your next project, or is that too early to reveal?

It is too early to reveal. Mostly because, quite frankly, I'm not working on it at all at the moment. I got distracted with this little XRP Ledger project again. :-)